Page 14 of 28 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast
    Administrator Administrator Hobbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Octocon's the biggest in Ireland as much as I know. I've had it highly recommended!

This year's details:

13-14 Oct 2007, Octocon (Irish national con), Maynooth, Ireland

WEBLINK: HERE.

Hobbit
    Mark

^ Fay-lim. Ok, its Phill. Phellim's Avatar
    Thanks! That's not too far from me, quite close actually, so I'll be sure to look into it and probabaly end up going.

I can't say I'm familiar with everyone mentioned, but Anne McCaffrey? And JG Jones? So far, so good, and they're sure to attract more people.

Hi Phellim

There's also P-Con in dublin each year & Mekon - which has just happened (in Belfast I believe?). I'm sure you can find some GGoogle info (P-Con are just changing their website over so patience might be required!)

Hope you find one you enjoy - cons are such fun...

^ Fay-lim. Ok, its Phill. Phellim's Avatar
    Thanks funky_fantasist,

The P-Con sounds great, especially as it's in a much more accessible place. I'll look forward to the site being finished, and for more information. Conventions seem like a great place to meet new people and find out more about great books, local authors and hiddens gems of SF&F.

Talking EuroCon 2007 in Copenhagen

I always thought that SF/F conventions were something that happened elsewhere in the world. But then, lo and behold, I discovered that there's actually a convention in Copenhagen this month (21-23th september):

http://www.eurocon2007.dk/

I don't know many of the names mentioned on the guest list, but Anne McCaffrey will be there (she's a busy lady) and so will Stephen Baxter (didn't really like the one book of his I tried, though) and Harry Harrison, along with some local danish authors.

Is anybody from around here at sffworld attending?

Blog Entries
    http://www.fantasycon.org.uk/index.html

Hobbit, I promise not to sit on the front row and pull faces at you, honestly

Seriously, I am off to Nottingham next Saturday. I will be clutching a tattered copy of "A Knight of the Word", which I will pass to Hobbit to get Mr Brooks to sign for me, being a coward when it comes to asking such from authors.

Blog Entries
    LOL. Thank you, Sue. I'm looking at a pile of Brooks myself. I think it can be said now that it will be me interviewing Guest of Honour, Terry Brooks.

If it helps, I was once told 'Never be afraid of asking for an author to sign one of their books.': advice I try to remember before the nerves kick in.

I'll do my best. I think I'm looking forward to it very much.

Hobbit
    Mark

Blog Entries
    And just to add to that: the Official Programme has been announced, LINK here.

Feel free to say hello....

Hobbit
    Mark

Just Another Philistine Hereford Eye's Avatar
    Tomorrow, I am off to the land of semi-eternal rain to visit Norwescon wherein Kevin Radthorne will be dispensing wisdom unto the misses. I shall be strumpeting Seven Threads in my usual subdued manner. And we shall partake of a Beefeater martini or two. No longer owning a laptop, all notes will be pen-and-pencil so there will not be a lot of same. Still, come Monday, Iíll report the goins on before someone up northwest decides he must do so.

Quote Originally Posted by Hereford Eye View Post
    ...wherein Kevin Radthorne will be dispensing wisdom unto the misses...
    The "misses" you say? Wow, this aims to be a pretty exciting con, then! Just don't report the goings-on to my wife...

Quote Originally Posted by Hereford Eye View Post
    No longer owning a laptop, all notes will be pen-and-pencil so there will not be a lot of same. Still, come Monday, Iíll report the goins on before someone up northwest decides he must do so.
    Ah, but I have the advantage of our dear HE, this being my home turf; so high speed cable access is just a click away... So allow me to report that this first day of Foolscap was a nice success (HE didn't even heckle me during the day's panel). In fact, having now made his acquaintance, I can also report that he is very much a fine gentleman.

I've haven't been to one yet. What are they like? I'm planning on attending All-Con in Dallas next March... and DragonCon 2008.

What should I expect?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Radthorne View Post
    In fact, having now made his acquaintance, I can also report that he is very much a fine gentleman.
    Indeed he is, so too is Hobbit. Had a good day yesterday, though the event was a lot quieter than last year.

Hobbit really shined interviewing Terry Brooks!

Kalitara;

All I can suggest is go with the flow.
    Last edited by Holbrook; September 23rd, 2007 at 02:54 AM.

Had HE up to the house today for dinner after one of the Foolscap panels. The plan was to have a bite, then some coffee and dessert, then I would take him back to the hotel, since I had a 9:30 PM panel to do. Sooo... it gets to be about 12:45 AM as we're sitting around the table yapping and my wife says, "Didn't you have another panel?" Ooops.

Anyway, I just got back from having now dropped him off. Have come to the conclusion that martini's are essential for a man's soul.

I have one more panel to do tomorrow (no excuses, HE will have already left for his flight), then pick up my art from the art show. I've sold three pieces so far, so a good event!

What are some of the best conventions around? I'd like to hit some up and meet some authors, readers and writers, but have been off on another planet for a few years and don't know where to look.