Page 17 of 28 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkWanderer View Post
    Does anyone know of any upcoming cons in the Portland, Oregon area? RoseCon appears to have died...
    Orycon is the big Portland con that happens every year. Next one is not until November, however.

Quote Originally Posted by Radthorne View Post
    Orycon is the big Portland con that happens every year. Next one is not until November, however.
    Yeah, but RoseCon needs a replacement for the late spring / early summer window here. It's March...putting off a con until November just blows.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

ASSIMILATION 2008, Florida’s Newest Science Fiction Fan Event, returns for a second year this June.

The convention will host artists, local clubs, media guests, podcasters and writers in a celebration of the sci-fi genre for all ages.

Orlando, FL, May 08, 2008: Green Mustard Productions will proudly present ASSIMILATION 2008, a celebration of science fiction, on June 14th, 2008 at the Radisson Worldgate Resort in Kissimmee, Florida. Now in its second year, ASSIMILATION is an event with a specific focus on the genre of science fiction from all aspects. Events at the convention begin at 9:00 AM that day and run late into the evening. Tickets are available in advance online (at a discount) or at the door the day of the event for $20.

GUESTS
    ASSIMILATION invites guests who have contributed to science fiction on all fronts: artists, local clubs, media guests, podcasters and writers. This year’s celebration will feature some well recognized names in the genre including:

• Gary Graham (Media Guest) – Mr. Graham is probably best know for his role as Detective Matthew Sykes in the hit television series Alien Nation. He more recently was seen by sci-fi fans as the Vulcan Ambassador Soval in the most recent Star Trek series: Enterprise. Other works include the cult classic Robot Jox, a recurring role on the series JAG, and dozens of other film and television appearances.

• Jay Acovone (Media Guest) – Jay Acovone is recognized by Stargate SG-1 fans as Major Charles Kawalsky in the long running science fiction series. He has also had roles in Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines, The X-Files, Sliders, Independence Day, and the popular television series Beauty and the Beast.

• Michael A. Stackpole (Writer) – Mike Stackpole is considered one of the foremost authors in the Star Wars universe, having penned over a dozen books including the popular Rogue Squadron series and I, Jedi. A NY Times bestselling author, he was also a primary writer for the Battetech universe of role playing games. Some of his work was later used as source material for the televised animated series.

For a complete (and most up to date) list of all guests attending this year’s ASSIMILATION, please visit the website at www.AssimilationCon.com.

EVENTS
    ASSIMILATION will offer a series of events tailored for science fiction fans of all ages including multimedia panels, a puppet making panel, a dance party, and even a screening of the movie Robot Jox with live commentary from Gary Graham himself. A complete listing of events will be posted on the event website.

ABOUT GREEN MUSTARD PRODUCTIONS
    ASSIMILATION is produced by Green Mustard Productions, who (as Wasabi Anime) has hosted successful events for over twenty five conventions in Florida since 2001. The group is owned and operated by motivated fans who want to contribute more to their respective hobbies and fandom. For more information, please visit the company website at www.GreenMustard.com.

For press information or questions, please contact Info@AssimilationCon.com

Brand New SF/Fantasy/Horror Con in Wales, UK

Space, Time, Machine and Monster

A Science Fiction, Fantasy and Horror Conference for the Valleys

Saturday 21 June 2008, 10:00am - 4:30pm
    University of Glamorgan, Treforest
    Tickets £5 / £3 concessions; available on the door only

More details here:

Academi

Some of those attending:

- Jasper Fforde - creator of the ’New Weird’ genre of writing
    - Stephen Volk - Horror script writer for TV and film in the UK and USA
    - Steve Lockley - Horror writer
    - Tim Lebbon - Horror writer
    - Dr Dimitra Fimi - Lecturer in English Literature specifically the works of Tolkien
    - Rev Neil Hook - History of Sci Fi and Fantasy in Wales
    - Rhys Hughes - talk on Magic Realism/Readings

I'm hoping to go to this one

Question Sdcc

I was thinking about hitting the San Diego Comic-Con. I checked out the website and looks like it will be pretty good. Does anyone have any info on any guests that will be appearing that hasn't been announced yet? I also heard a band might be playing the convention. Has anyone heard about this?

Sci-Fi/Fantasy Artist Moderator Ariana's Avatar

OK! This is NOT spam, it is an honest offer!!!

Who is attending Denvention that needs a Hotel Room off premises Inexpensive?
    http://www.denvention3.org/

I can't attend due to poor finances! I do have a reservation off premises for the Best Western down the street from the Convention Center! The cost is $89.00 a night weekdays and weekends!!! The res goes from Tuesday August 5th, to tuesday August 12th! The total is $723.45 the room has two (2) Queen Beds, and is a Non-Smoking Room. If you want and need a room at least 1/3-1/2 cheaper than most of the Hotels are presently asking, then just post here and you can have the room, since I cannot attend. You will not be paying me, and you must change the reservation to your own name. I will remove mine when you confirm here that you want it!

I will call the Hotel to let them know you are taking the room in advance so there is no confusion!

I made this reservation almost a year ago and have a confirmation letter to the effect that these prices are set...I can mail it to you as well!!!

Have Fun! Wahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Hugs
    Ariana

Prefers to be anomalous intensityxx's Avatar
    Who's going to be at WorldCon in a couple of weeks? I am!

Sci-Fi/Fantasy Artist Moderator Ariana's Avatar
    I was serious about having a room res and since i cannot attend I was going to let someone have the room the rate is phenominal and a rare price! I made this res a year ago...PLEASE I don't need money, you just have to go in and accept the room res! Contact me by PM here and I can give you contact info.

Save a ton of money and be just 1 mile from the venue!

Hugs
    Ariana

Administrator Administrator Hobbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    The secret's out, the schedule's announced (http://www.fantasycon.org.uk/program.html) , and I guess that means that I can now say that I will be greatly honoured to interview (with excruciatingly difficult questions) Mr James Barclay esq. at FantasyCon 2008 as he will be Guest of Honour on the 20th September.

I have been working on deviously fiendish questions for a while now, BUT I realise that some people may have questions they week to seek the answer for.

So: bearing in mind that it may not get asked (or I may have it in the list already!), and also that I don't want James to know the questions (yet), if you would like to send me a PM message with your requests and I'll see what I can do.

Mark
    Mark

We're going to FenCon in Dallas - October 3 - 5.

Foolscap will be held in Redmond, WA next weekend, for any in the Pacific Northwest of the U.S.

I will be there, doing a book reading and with art on display in the artshow. I'll also be on several panels during the course of the weekend.

Blog Entries
    Enjoyed my day at Fantasycon, and... did you know Hobbit has a suit?

Anyway off to Newcon4 at Northampton in two weeks.... Should be a good one, with Ian Banks among the guests.

Administrator Administrator Hobbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Yes, NewCon sounds great and I really wish I could be there.... have a great time, Hol!

Mark / Hobbit
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Holbrook View Post
    Anyway off to Newcon4 at Northampton in two weeks.... Should be a good one, with Ian Banks among the guests.
    I met and had a few words with Alan Moore at Newcon - gave him a copy of Murky Depths. It was a very friendly convention.

Next convention I'm at will be Hi-Ex in Inverness on 14-15 February (weather permitting).

Rustycon is a medium-sized SF/F convention, coming up this weekend in the Seattle area. I will be there, mostly on Saturday, doing panels and also a reading from my forthcoming book, The Pool of Shikama (due out in February). I will also have my artwork on display in the art show. Any SFFWorld folks are most welcome - I'd love to meet any of you who are in the area and would like to stop by.