Page 6 of 28 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
    My husband and I live about 5 miles away from Anaheim, but it wasn't until a few weeks ago that we finally bought our memberships for WorldCon 2006 . We'll be there! I hope we'll be able to meet some people from SFFWorld. I missed *everyone* at Glasgow, and was very sad about that.

Prefers to be anomalous intensityxx's Avatar
    That would be great, Archren. I'd really enjoy meeting you.

I'd love to meet you too! We'll have to figure out a place/time closer to the day. If nothing else, the dealer room is always a pretty safe bet for meeting people. Heck, I already have a good idea as to which bookseller there will be getting first dibs on my wallet.

Is anyone planning ahead to 2007 in Yokohama? My husband and I are trying to decide if we want to plan on going or not... we're not quite sure yet.

Just Another Philistine Hereford Eye's Avatar
    I suppose all of Western Europe has gone off to EasterCon2006 which explains why they haven't been on the boards since Thrusday.

Didn't make it, after planning to go to Eastercon 2006. Been so busy with a bunch of book-related projects, as well as trying to finish Jaarfindor Remade, which thankfully I did today. Yes! But I'll be at the 2007 get together.

I'll be at Fancon 2006 in Nottingham, though. Should be good - Neil Gaiman, Clive Barker, et al...

Hi all,

There is really only one Con that I go to yearly and that's the San Diego International Comic Convention. I'm originally from San Diego so I started going at a young age. It gets better and better every year. Even now that I don't live in San Diego I make a trip back in the summer to attend.

Still being in college with little money I can only afford to attend one con a year. I imagine once I have a little more money in my pockets I'll attend more. I'd love to go to WorldCon at some point.

WorldCon is easy driving distance from San Diego if you're there, and the latest update I got says that you can buy a 3-hour pass or one-day pass if you want. I bet the 3-hour pass might be manageable for you.

Quote Originally Posted by intensityxx
    WorldCon is easy driving distance from San Diego if you're there, and the latest update I got says that you can buy a 3-hour pass or one-day pass if you want. I bet the 3-hour pass might be manageable for you.
    Oh I know! The problem is that I don't live in San Diego anymore. I live in Illinois! A much farther drive. I'll be in town for comic con, but not further into August when Worldcon is. Ah, maybe next year.

Next year will be even worse for driving, it'll be in Japan! However, the candidates for 2008 are: Denver, Chicago and Columbus, OH. The current crop of candidates for 2009 are Montreal, Canada and Kansas City, Missouri. So you should be able to find some way to get there over the next few years.

Blog Entries
    I did make it to Eastercon, had to super time! Now going to go to bed!!! Am shattered!

Hi Hol

Glad you made it back okay. It's taken me a week to recover! I think I'm getting too old for this Con lark! I'm so glad your first con experience was a happy one - you'll almost def. see T. at the one day thing in May in Nottingham. (BTW, maybe you could post that info here? It sounds really good & I've lost the flyer! Doh!)

Highlights of ECon for me - meeting you, of course - the Writer's Bloc readings and being interviewed by SFX! I don't know when they'll run it - probably next year! They interviewed a lot of the authors at the con, so we'll see... I was just happy to be asked... (I know, it doesn't take much to preen an author's fragile ego. )

T. is determined to go to Japan for the Worldcon next year and we have both started to learn Japanese now... Watch this space!

All best
    Funky

Blog Entries
    Hi Funky;

I did enjoy it very much. And thank you again for showing me round. The Writer's Bloc readings were superb! Do you know where I can get a hold of some of those stories? I know they said there were published somewhere, but can't remember.

Oh this is the day event in May...

http://www.derby.gov.uk/LeisureCulture/AltFiction.htm

As it is only two weeks away I am not sure if I will make it. *sigh* I want to but it depends on a number of things.

Though I am planning on trying to go here.

http://www.fantasycon.org.uk/ in September.

If not it will be here

http://www.convoy.org.uk/ next Easter lol....

Does that say I have caught some kind of bug? lol....

Japan watch out And you are not too old for Con's lol.....

This weekend my husband and I are driving up to Toronto for the 2006 Toronto Comicon. Should be fun...if our 18-year old can make it there.

I have a dumb question. I'd like to bring my laptop to Worldcon, but it's too heavy to carry around with me for very long. What do you do with your laptops? I'm assuming the inroom safe will be too small.

Yes the safe is too small.

I use a slim steel cable with a lock to anchor it to something solid. They have them in computer stores, they are made for laptops. There is a little hole, almost tearshaped on the left side of my computer base and there is a prong on the cable that goes into it, then it twists and expands, and is locked into position so it can't be removed (at least without breaking the computer). You use the other end to loop it through something solid and then put the toggle in the computer and lock it. The trouble is sometimes to find something solid to anchor it too. Furniture legs are easiest, but if you can slip the loop off by lifting the leg then its no good.

Here is a site that sells what they call a laptop leash
    http://www.computerlocks.net/laptopsecurity.htm

If you scroll down a bit you will see the picture. I am not suggesting this company, just wanted to show you a picture. They have also used the table, which only works if there is a crossbar below it that prevents the loops from being slipped off if the table leg is lifted or the table tipped over.

I got it many years ago when I read a magazine article about how often laptops were stolen out of hotel rooms, and that the hotels didn't take any responsibility or replace them. I have been using it for many years when I go to cons. I don't know if its really needed, but I feel safer with it.

Good luck.