Worldcon: interaction - my programme

If anyone is going to Interaction in Glasgow, please feel free to talk to me. In fact, I shall probably be a little lost and bewildered and need of a kind word!!

My programme is as follows:

Thursday 4th:
    READING 8 p.m.
    Probably from "GILFEATHER" which is due for publication in the US in November (Penguin/ACE books).
    The Australian version is already available from any Oz online bookstore (try Sydney's Galaxy Bookstore) or from my daughter's online shop in the UK (simbiotic.co.uk)

Sunday 7th:
    PANEL 2:00pm (See above thread as well)
    Is The Future Non-Western? (1.5 hrs)
    Moderated by Liz Williams, also with Mari Kotani (Japan), Klaus Mogensen (Denmark),Cristina Pulido Ulvang (Norway)
    A future dominated by Pacific Rim economies and Indian outsourcing
    has been a popular theme in SF since the cyberpunk wave and before.
    Is the world now moving in this direction, and if so what path will
    it take? Will this affect SF writing?

If you have any thoughts on this that you would like raised during the panel, please add something to the thread above.

Monday 8th : 2 p.m.
    KAFFEEKLATSCH
    Heavens, they have put me in the same coffee chat group as Anne McCaffrey. I'll be the other woman, probably speechless, wondering what on earth to say in the presence of someone as popular as she is!! Anyway, if you want to chat, this is your opportunity. Or you grab me some other time when I am not so overwhelmed by the company...
    Others present are Frank Roger and Michael Cobley.

Administrator Administrator Hobbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Hello Glenda - didn't know you were Glasgow-bound, but I'll try and track you down!

These sound great - and a little scary!

The role of the Pan-Asian area in the future I think is really interesting, though I think many here in the UK are looking to China as the 'next big thing' - but it does sound interesting. River of Gods by Ian McDonald might be a point of reference for India?

So perhaps 'Which will have the greater influence - India or China?' might be a good question....

Hobbit
    Mark

Hi Hobbit - yes, please do introduce yourself! And eek, I haven't yet read River of Gods...

My gut feeling would be that China is the one that's going to change the future, rather than India. It's got the economy to do it, plus the enormous population, plus the determination. India is more laid back, less economically aggressive...

Still, I don't really feel terribly competent to speak about this. I think I was put on the panel simply because I live in Malaysia (a country with a large population of ethnic Indians and Chinese)! I shall be the quiet one, trying to look unobtrusive and deeply profound at one and the same time. I shall nod sagely from time to time as the others hold forth...

Administrator Administrator Hobbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    That's pretty much how I see it, Glenda, I think.

There's been quite a lot on the BBC about the rise of China recently - might be worth a look at their website?

Hope to see you at Glasgow!

Hobbit
    Mark

GemQuest Moderator Gary Wassner's Avatar
    Hi Glenda,

I will be in Glasgow as well, but only on the 4th and 5th. I will try very hard to get to your reading and I will introduce myself. I am not staying in one of the hotels on the grounds, so 8pm may be a bit of a problem. I have not been to Glasgow before so I don't really know my way around.

Best of luck!!!

Gary

Great Gary...hope to catch up with you there!

I am already feeling like a kid in the chocolate factory - so many people I want to meet!!

I'm sorry that I didn't see you at WorldCon, but I just wanted to say that I LOVED your piece for the "In Flight Entertainment" booklet! That was classic, and I was really laughing out loud in recognition. Thanks!

Thanks Archren! I'll say more about this in the new thread I'm going to up up on worldcon.