Page 1 of 48 12311 ... LastLast

News and reviews

Good news this morning - The Naming has been nominated for inclusion on the US 2005 Teens' Top Ten list. Woohoo! I'm very pleased just to be nominated, though obviously it would be brilliant to make the top ten.

The final list will be selected by teen vote during Teen Read Week in October. Teens' Top Ten Books (TTT) is part of YA Galley, a project of the Young Adult Library Services Association (YALSA), a division of the American Library Association (ALA). (Whew) The web page is here.

Just noticed that some updating posts of mine own seem to have vanished off this thread - the starred Kirkus review of The Naming, for instance, which was nice (it's for books of unusual merit - but sadly no longer available online) and some other nice US reviews which used to be here. Don't know what happened there - probably my hamfisted editing. I will try to update properly when I have some time...

...and found the Kirkus and another one on the Barnes and Noble site, so pasting them in:

VOYA - Rachelle Bilz
    Sixteen-year-old orphan Maerad leads a miserable life as a slave until the Bard Cadvan rescues her from drudgery. In Annar and the Seven Kingdoms, Bards are the keepers of the Light, born with the Gift of the Speech wherein lies the knowledge and forces of good that help mankind and Nature. Groomed in the Schools, Bards are the forces of Light that combat the Dark's evil power. Traveling together after fleeing the settlement of Gilman's Cot, Cadvan realizes that Maerad is a Bard. Cadvan is journeying to School at Norloch to see his teacher Nelac; he hopes to have Maerad instated as a Bard. Through folktale prophecy, prescient dreams, and an ancient parchment, it becomes evident that Maerad is the Foretold, the Fated One, who will ultimately triumph over the Dark. As Cadvan and Maerad travel through Annar, they are beset by Hulls, wers, and a wight, all minions of the Dark. They also encounter an Elemental spirit and kind residents who help the voyagers on their way. Croggon creates a superb epic fantasy in this first book of the Pellinor series, which is evocative of both the Arthurian legend and The Lord of the Rings trilogy with the added twist of a female protagonist. Compellingly readable, the story offers the reader both richly developed characters and descriptive prose that sparks the imagination. A plentitude of action and plot surprises ensure a riveting read. Unbelievably fine, this book represents fantasy storytelling at its best. This exemplary novel is sure to appeal to all fantasy fans. VOYA CODES: 5Q 4P J S (Hard to imagine it being any better written; Broad general YA appeal; Junior High, defined as grades 7 to 9; Senior High, defined as grades 10 to 12). 2005, Candlewick,528p., Ages 12 to 18.

Kirkus Reviews
    A lush, vivid epic fantasy about a slave who becomes pivotal to a vast land's survival. Sixteen-year-old Maerad toils with no hope of freedom or human connection until the day a strange man shows up in the cow byre. Though wounded, he arranges her escape. Cadvan's a Bard, one of the special people in this land who use learning and inborn magical power in the service of good. Maerad's one too, though she never knew it and is ignorant of its workings. Old enemies of the Light are reappearing and Cadvan senses that his discovery of Maerad is no fluke. Evil sweeps the land both blatantly and insidiously as Maerad and Cadvan journey through a grand School and across the wilds, seeking help and clarity and battling foes. Croggon's characters and environmental descriptions glow with a romantic sensibility and resonate beautifully with archetypal connections to Tolkien. Maerad's path to her destiny will be awaited eagerly. (pronunciation key, map, appendices, poems) (Fantasy. 12+)
    Last edited by alison; September 18th, 2005 at 06:41 PM.

Ok guys I think we're gonna have to start bracing ourselves! Now that The Naming is getting lots of recognition this forum is gonna be swamped with American's soon

What do I type here?????? soul_elements's Avatar
    Ummm... what's it called again? I know it, I do ... talk about a goldfish's memory. Hang on- why is that tree upside-down? And aren't those clouds supposed to be ABOVE my head rather than below? Why am I upside-down? Oh, that's right! It's DOWNUNDER!
    AMERICAN STAMPEDE ... Well, at least the book's'll get publicity and a bigger fanbase, I suppose ... but I'll miss having the non-Yanks here. I mean the Poms and Aussies (and the occasional Scotty).

How about a (very small) Canadian stampede? I found The Naming/The Gift in my bookstore last week and read it over the weekend. Of course, now I'm dying to read The Riddle, so I suppose I'll have to order it from Britain because I can't wait until next May to read it.

Congrats on the nomination, Alison, you totally deserve it.

hi Rhiannon! welcome to the forums! congrats alison for being nominated for the award n i hope you win

Thanks Bridie and soul_elements - let's hope there are more! The Naming seems to do be doing ok in the library world.

Yes, there was lots of fantasy before Tolkien, some of it very eccentric. One of my faves was William Morris's Wood Beyond the Worlds, which is a very odd book!

Hello all - I am writing this in the public library in Camrbridge, so this will be short (I have to go and buy an umbrella ) - I've been having an absolutely brilliant and interesting time, I got back from Norwich yesterday, and liked it there a lot. I was doing workshops and writer in conversation stuff, but the main reason I was there was to be in a symposium at the University of East Anglia with 40 other writers from all around the world, and that was amazing. It's going to take me weeks to process it all.

Anyway, just popping my head in to let you know - just in case there are any of you British types anywhere nearby - that my appearance at Ottakers in Milton Keynes is happening next week, on June 30. I will be there at 1.30 to do whatever it is they want me to do. This time I am wearing my fantasy hat. It would be great if any of you were there!

Fanlisting News

An update on the fanlisting!!!
    Yeah! I've finished it! All I need to do right now is apply for hosting!!
    Umm.. yeah.. I've applied at ravishing.nu today so keep your fingers crossed guys that it gets approved!! If you want to visit it right now and join, the URL is ------> http://firelily11.tripod.com ......so yeah... by the way, don't you dare laugh at my codes After getting a host, I guess I'll have to get approved by thefanlisting.org too... ok enough of this boring trash let's get on talking about other stuff

Crazy about Pellinor!!!!! bai_xu's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TheHobbitIvy
    Excuse me? How cruel is this? 2007 for Americans? i can't wait that long! I'll have to somehow ship myself over to Austrailia for the release, then...

By the way, Kudos, Alison... you've completely hooked me! I just finished reading the first book, and I'm about to read the second one... (I literally have the copy of the book sitting right next to me, opened to the first page. )
    Lol, you are not the unluckiest, because some people have to wait for another year before even the Riddle is out in their country...

By the way, Welcome to the forum!

Hello my darlings - I've severely edited this thread, so instead of a whole lot of irrelevant posts I seem to have - a whole lot of irrelevent deleted posts. Grrrrr. There has to be a way to erase them so they're not taking up space!

[MOD EDIT: 'Tis done. Hobbit]

Anyway, a reminder that it's good to remain on topic in the threads, and a pointer to the chattery thread for those unable to contain themselves.

When I get over the trauma of working my way through this software (or get hold of Hobbit to tell me what to do) I'll post some new stuff that came my way while I was absent.

Kisses to all, Alison

Hi y'all - it's ALISON, wholly recovered from jetlag at last - and yes, the Reign of Terror has begun! I am slowly going to tidy up irrelevancies from the threads (Chattery thread excepted...) So be warned... Nothing personal, guys, but it's very hard to wade through a lot of chatter for anyone possibly interested in talking about the BOOKS.

Also, as a side note - keep it clean.

All right, I'll take off my admin hat now. Some of you might be interested in this interview done by Ingrams Library at http://www.ingramlibrary.com/MRKNG/C...L_eletter.html - Tracy Taylor says some nice things, so she's a Good Woman.
    Last edited by alison; August 2nd, 2005 at 03:24 AM.

thats a really good interveiw thought it does annoy me that the gift has to be called the naming for some reason i dislike that name... i think you right about cadvan being a rock star afterall he is quite the singer and everybody loves him.

yea its a really good interview

I like that interview. (Were you really coherent enough to make small speeches to all the questions, or are those answers the weaving together of the interviewer? )

And I'm so pleased to find someone else who likes Rosemary Sutcliff. Her Sun Horse, Moon Horse inspired me to write my very first good piece of writing. Before that, all the teachers would write about me: She doesn't know what she wants to say.

Staff Pick Review

From Children's Book World: rather a nice one!

The Naming
    by Alison Croggon

Gloriously written and truly an epic, this first novel is really something. Maered, a slave girl, meets a wounded mage in a squalid village, and from the moment of their meeting, nothing will be the same. Maered's mother, unbeknownst to her, was a powerful mage, and she inheirited great power as well. The world is falling under the dark shadow of the cruel Hulls, and treachery abounds. Will Maered have the strength of will to preserve the Light? If you loved Garth Nix's Sabriel, be sure to give this one a try.