View Poll Results: Do you like/dislike the winterking, Arkan?

Voters
179. You may not vote on this poll
  • I like him.

118 65.92%
  • I dislike him.

61 34.08%
Page 5 of 73 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast
    should i join this convo?
    all hail alison croggon

OK, I'll leave that last one... Do you know, you Pellinor fans are the only people who spell my name right? Almost everyone else gets it wrong. Medals all round.

Just tidied up the thread, guys... *sigh* Please go to the chattery thread when you get all voluble - this forum really isn't a chatsite. Officially speaking, you are supposed to be talking about books with other interested people.

Jelly Fetishist
    Well, I never really got into this conversation, but I feel I ought to add my two cents now -
    Without having the book to hand (and thus being unable to quote), I would say that Arkan's character seems very...erotic. His sexuality is very well-written, and still, after several reads, seems to me at least to be very ambiguous. He certainly appears to be bisexual (a term I use very loosely, since I don't believe such modern categorising fits into speculative fiction), and yet at times he also seems almost asexual - like the other Elementals, disinterested in human relationships and emotions. Love, in the human sense of the word, appears to be something they find very difficult to understand. At the same time, however, some of the things that he says to Maerad seem highly suggestive, with very erotic undercurrents.
    Arkan is difficult to relate to on a human level, and Alison has emphasised very well the ambiguity of his character.

*takes off Oxford-don hat*

ye he sometimes shows emotions but when he realizies he goes back into his shell so we dont really geet to see the real winterking i think he thinks showing emotions are a sign of weakness or he just isnt used to showing emotion

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. Cadvan
    Well, I never really got into this conversation, but I feel I ought to add my two cents now -
    Without having the book to hand (and thus being unable to quote), I would say that Arkan's character seems very...erotic. His sexuality is very well-written, and still, after several reads, seems to me at least to be very ambiguous. He certainly appears to be bisexual (a term I use very loosely, since I don't believe such modern categorising fits into speculative fiction), and yet at times he also seems almost asexual - like the other Elementals, disinterested in human relationships and emotions. Love, in the human sense of the word, appears to be something they find very difficult to understand. At the same time, however, some of the things that he says to Maerad seem highly suggestive, with very erotic undercurrents.
    Arkan is difficult to relate to on a human level, and Alison has emphasised very well the ambiguity of his character.

*takes off Oxford-don hat*
    It's a very good job that i paid attention in Science and RS....well done Mrs. C!
    *I take my hat off to your intelligence and interlectuality(is that a word!?) !*

i dont think so but yes i take my hat off to you!

I'm not even wearing a hat..but i take my imaginary big blue fluffy, feathery hat off to you again Mrs.C!

im not wearing one so my hats a top hat

Jelly Fetishist
    Why, thank you very much, Owleye and Serpent... I'm mightily glad to hear that my interlectuality (heh heh) is being properly appreciated.

yup more so since i didnt no you werre so clever

i dont like Arkan. He scares me...

topic!
    Last edited by ~claire~; October 30th, 2005 at 02:00 PM.

Jelly Fetishist
    What do you mean, topic?

yea this is winter king there is already athread for enkir

Phantastic!
    Arkan's one of the coolest characters in The Riddle. Obvious reason : He's the Ice Witch! duh

does anyone know ehat i mean?

no? thought not

Enkir is like, the unfortuneate guy who will probably meet a horrible and moral-killing end, during which Cadvan is the one who kills him! Yay Cadvan!