View Poll Results: Do you like/dislike the winterking, Arkan?

Voters
179. You may not vote on this poll
  • I like him.

118 65.92%
  • I dislike him.

61 34.08%
Page 51 of 73 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361 ... LastLast
    Most definately. I'd like to see him play something like .. actually... I'm not sure. :]

LOL. Johnny Depp is amazing, I think I'd love him in any role.

go mushrooms! and cadvan! Singing4ever's Avatar

I don't think i like him

THIS WHOLE POST IS A SPOILER ON THE RIDDLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, first off I do like him as an asset to the story. He NEEDS to be there hopefully we all agree. However, i think he felt for Maerad, then realised how she was in his power. (or so he thought) Arkan is the kinda guy who loves power, and loves that extra edge over Maerad because of her feelings. He thrust away the begining of his love for her so he could "own" her. He is deep, and at one time could have been good, but because of his actions is now evil.
    just to make everything more confusing....

Arkan really reminded me of Cadvan just Cadvans good and not creepy and not evil. But cadvan makes me think of how arkan was like in his youth. there are choices before Cadvan that were similar to the ones Arkan had. Arkan made the wrong decisions and we'll have to wait and see for Cadvans.
    One more note on this REALLY long post
    I just want maerad to know that Arkan would never had made her happy. I'm not quite sure it dernhil or even cadvan would, but Arkan? No. Never.
    Anyone agree??

Idon'tknowwhatthatmeans. Mistress Maerad's Avatar
    In the long term, Maerad could never be happy with Arkan. I mean, the whole Ice/Fire thing just kind of sums that up.

But, on a more serious note, yes, Cadvan was, in a way, sort of like Arkan, although I think Arkan is much more cold, while Cadvan was care-free and plain arrogant. But, Arkan cannot learn to be humble. I believe he firmly believes in his strength over just about everything. Cadvan was able to learn.

Fan of too much to name
    Quote Originally Posted by Mistress Maerad View Post
    But, Arkan cannot learn to be humble.
    I think thats a general Elidhu thing. They see themselves (possibly quite rightly) as above the others in the land, and in arkans case he believes that gives him rights he doesnt really have

Almost like a medieval king....appointed by god, can do what he likes

Exactly. My point exactly....

And also, Arkan isn't even human, so that kind of rules out any long-term relationship between him and Maerad. They're too different.

(Even though I love Arkan....)

BTW, hi, Singing4ever! Haven't seen you around before, so I'm guessing you're new.

But there is also the question of whether Maerad will live longer because she has Elidhu blood.

My opinion on this, however, is that she will not. And sadly, we don't even know if she will live to survive the destroying of the Nameless, although I must say the odds are in her favour, what with her being the protagonist and all.

✫High Bard of the Reading ServalSpirit's Avatar
    I agree about Arkan never learning to be humble. I also think that Arkan/ Maerad would NEVER work!!! For some reason, I really dislike Arkan. I'm not sure why, but he's just casually cruel and selfish; he does everything for himself and in his best interests. He doen't care what happens to people, or their feelings, and has no qualms about using them to reach his own ends. And he's always trying to be mysterious.

Ok, enough of an Arkan rant, I think!

Quote Originally Posted by Mistress Maerad View Post
    But there is also the question of whether Maerad will live longer because she has Elidhu blood.

My opinion on this, however, is that she will not. And sadly, we don't even know if she will live to survive the destroying of the Nameless, although I must say the odds are in her favour, what with her being the protagonist and all.
    I just wrote a drabble on the very thing! LOL.

But yeah. I don't think MA would ever work, and I don't want it to work, but Arkan is such an interesting character to me.

He's very selfish, I suppose, but since he's not human I would say it's not exactly selfishness...more of, well, I don't know. To me it seems that selfishness is a very human quality, and Arkan isn't selfish for the reasons humans are. He's more, I don't know, aloof. Detached. Which makes him self-centered, I suppose.

He's not human, so in my opinion we can't exactly call him selfish or haughty or greedy, because those are all mortal emotions. I'd say Enkir is all of those, but not Arkan. Arkan is merely Elidhu.

Just my opinion though.

I think Elidhu cannot have normal, human emotions. They are above that. They are also wiser, but they have a gift as well as a curse.

However, they see the world differently, and we must remember that as well. Arkan isn't plain old mean, he just had different ideas, methinks. Although, I believe a part of him needs to learn to love. He has been betrayed by love.

Which brings up the question, who should Arkan get with?

(BTW, I did read the drabble. I just didn't review. But it was awesome!!!! Keep going for 100!!!)

✫High Bard of the Reading ServalSpirit's Avatar
    Hmmm, well as I said on the FF.net forum, Arkan should get together with Ardina. However, he HAS loved. (Nelsor, remember?) And what I meant by selfishness is not that he has human emtions. Look at Ardina. She is working, not to save herself and get her song back, but to save the people of Edil-Amarandh. That was the reason that she let Cadvan and Maerad leave Rachida, and she actually offered to let Maerad die, which would mean the end of any hopes she had to get the Treesong. Arkan, however, works only for himself, and doesn't care what happens to other people in the process, as long as he gets what he wants in the end. An exampele is when Maerad said that she missed flowers in Arkan-da. Arkan immediately reacted by creating subtle hints of flowers on the walls, banisters, etc. Maerad asked him why he was trying to please her, and he actually responded with, and I quote: "It is better if you do not hate or fear me. Song cannot be made out of hatred and fear." So, you see, he doesn't care that Maerad misses nature, he only cares that she is unhappy with him and won't be able to get him his song back.

Of course, this is just what I have noticed, and other people are welcome to their own opinions!
    Last edited by ServalSpirit; February 19th, 2008 at 07:53 AM.

Yeah, ServalSpirit, you have a point. But with him I think there's different emotions at once. Many motivations. Ambiguous motivations, which is why I think I like him.

Layers, in other words. He's like an onion! (lol, Shrek)

Hahaha! Or my hair. I just got it layered.

Anyway, yes. Arkan is extremely complex, and I will always wonder what he really wants.....is it Maerad, or power? The Song, or Maerad? Ice or Fire?

(that sounded like the opening of a movie.....)

ok here is my question for al those people who say arkan is simple elidue and that makes him who he is. what about ardina she is all about helping m and acted briefly kinda like a motherish person to her while in rashadia so i disagree arkan can feel emotions just on a different level as humans but his emotions are all to human and i think it scares him abit and made him act he way he is because you just have to compare to ardina or nymnar who where both atleast kinda nice