Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Science fiction novels with a Terminator-like scenario

Okay, I'm sure this question has been asked many times before on this board, but I'm wondering if anyone could recommend some good sci-fi novels with a Terminator-like story to them, you know, robots and artificial intelligences taking over the world and trying to eradicate mankind in a future war, etc. I tried, "I, Robot" by Isaac Asimov, hoping it would be like this but it wasn't and if it ever did get to that scenario in the book, I never got to it because I quit about halfway through it because I didn't seem to like Asimov's style of writing.

Well, I, Robot is precisely the opposite of what you're looking for. Asimov postulated the three laws of robotics in direct contrast to the "robots taking over mankind" scenario that he found distasteful in the SF literature of his era (he called it mankind's Frakenstein complex).

As to the original question: I do not know of any books with precisely that scenario.

It gets panned in this forum sometimes, but I have always liked the Berserker series by Fred Saberhagen. He wrote a few books about deadly, intelliegent self-replicating robots, from tiny cat-sized ones to moon-sized ships, that roam the universe trying to destroy all life. Mankind fights against them both hand-to-hand on planets and ship-to-ship in space.

Good stuff, and there's a whole slew of books about them out there. The collections where diffferent Berserker short stories are written by different authors are good. But skip the book The Berserker Throne, it's one of the weakest ones.

Terminator-like Novels

You might be interested in Hyperion by Dan Simmons. It has several storylines and one of them features artificial intelligences trying to destroy mankind.

Phillip K. Dick's Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? is the basis for the movie "Bladerunner," and it features androids fighting human beings.

I've linked both books to their Amazon.com site, so you can check them out yourself.

Cheers,

Robert Williams
    The Storms of Eternity

Thumbs up

Actually to add on what was said above:
    The Hyperion saga (Hyperion,Fall of the Hyperion,Endymion,Rise of the Endymion) by the time it gets to the third book, Endymion, bears more than a passing resemblance to the Terminator. The books are not, by any means, just action stuff however, if that's what your looking for.
    But-
    having said that, there are great action scenes in the books.

i can mentione some novels and 2 roll playing books that have exactly or almost exactly of this kind scenario with the version were sentient machines are the bastarz and humans are the so called "victims":

the most closed to terminator's story:

GURPS Reign of Steel by David Pulver and its new last year little pdf update "Will To Live" by another author. both RPG books.

another RPG book called Splicers by Palladium games, is also like terminator.

Robopocalypse by Daniel Wilson.

Computer One by Wawick Collins.

Rockman/Megaman X super nintendo by capcom(this is a video game but i post it because is the one that introduce my obsecion of this "man vs machine" thing since 1994).

an upcoming 2012 novel(i think and i HOPE SO!!!)called AIpocalypse by another new scifi author(just like daniel wilson)called William Hertling :

http://www.williamhertling.com/p/aipocalypse.html

are he only ones i can think so far.

The Two Faces of Tomorrow by James P. Hogan is more intelligent than Robopocalypse. I managed to finish Robopocalypse but it was mostly horror cliches with a few decent spots.

http://www.baenebooks.com/chapters/0...0671878484.htm

Do you want cyber-horror stories or science fiction? Frankenstein movies were horror rather than science fiction of the original novel.

psik
    Last edited by psikeyhackr; February 13th, 2012 at 04:43 PM.

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by psikeyhackr View Post
    The Two Faces of Tomorrow by James P. Hogan is more intelligent than Robopocalypse. I managed to finish Robopocalypse but it was mostly horror cliches with a few decent spots.

http://www.baenebooks.com/chapters/0...0671878484.htm

Do you want cyber-horror stories or science fiction? Frankenstein movies were horror rather than science fiction of the original novel.

psik
    i also read The Two Faces of Tomorrow by James P. Hogan but the manga version. but yes, the author show us a scientific pov of how a ai become sentient and evolved, in the end the ai became friendly with humans i think.
    i wish to see a movie of this one.

still robopocalypse was not bad, is not the perfect scifi novel in the world but is not bad either. Matrix is a REAL BAD machine revolt story made by a pair of otakus non smart and also the non james cameron terminator movies 3 and 4.

Definitely the Berserker series by Fred Saberhagen, a lot of the stories read like a Terminator movie.

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by MyklSkeleton View Post
    Definitely the Berserker series by Fred Saberhagen, a lot of the stories read like a Terminator movie.
    i just can't believe that after so many years that this series have with many fans, nobody yet had tried to make a tv series or movies of Berserkers robots.

what kind of models desing those berserker have? beside space ships.

Quote Originally Posted by robot17 View Post
    Matrix is a REAL BAD machine revolt story made by a pair of otakus non smart and also the non james cameron terminator movies 3 and 4.
    The Matrix is not really about machine revolt.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9q1jHx29C70

I could easily argue that it is not science fiction either. Spiritual-metaphysical fiction? The Matrix is unique as far as I know. I don't mind calling it sci-fi because of the seriousness of its underlying theme.

The Terminator was well done entertainment but I suspect if AI is ever really created the worst it will be is totally indifferent to us. That is why after the pilot I never watched the new Battlestar Galactica. Why would an AI with interstellar travel capability bother with the human race when it could go off exploring the rest of the galaxy? I think this entire humans expecting aliens or AIs to attack is kind of egocentric. Aliens and AIs not giving a damn just wouldn't be very gratifying.

psik

Quote Originally Posted by psikeyhackr View Post
    The Matrix is not really about machine revolt.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9q1jHx29C70

I could easily argue that it is not science fiction either. Spiritual-metaphysical fiction? The Matrix is unique as far as I know. I don't mind calling it sci-fi because of the seriousness of its underlying theme.

The Terminator was well done entertainment but I suspect if AI is ever really created the worst it will be is totally indifferent to us. That is why after the pilot I never watched the new Battlestar Galactica. Why would an AI with interstellar travel capability bother with the human race when it could go off exploring the rest of the galaxy? I think this entire humans expecting aliens or AIs to attack is kind of egocentric. Aliens and AIs not giving a damn just wouldn't be very gratifying.

psik
    the NEW battle star galactica sucks, the old one was better the one of the 80's and 70's.

the NEW battle star galactica sucks, the old one was better the one of the 80's and 70's.
    ROFL

My brother-in-law called that one Battlestar Decraptica.

psik

i also read The Two Faces of Tomorrow by James P. Hogan but the manga version.
    I found the manga version on Amazon. It had some sample pages. They changed the story. The manga version has two main characters on the Moon at the beginning when the novel never has them on the Moon at all. It looks like they modified it to compress the story. No telling how much they changed the whole thing.

psik

Nice to see I still agree with my 7 year old post on the Berserker series. I also think it would make a nice TV series, maybe with a different director for each story arc.