Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Hem's Thread

i interpreted title The Crow more as war. Aren't they the birds associated with death?
    And if it IS hems true-name, what can it mean, what with it being connotated with death?
    argh.too many possibilities

Hi, danyl I think it might be ravens associated with war but i'd probably have to check it to be certain

I guess i assumed that The Crow was refering to Irc, who in many ways is like Hem. In that he was/is an outsider, doesn't know he family, is picked on, looks different to everyone else (Irc is white, Hem has lighter skin than everyone else in Turbansk). I think that Irc could be very symbolic of who Hem is as a person. They both have the same sense of humour and i think they both needed (may still need) the same sort of comfort as each other)

But thats just my opinion, i've already said somewhere else my opinions on hem dying (not sure where but its around) but bsically, i dont think its likely and it definitely won't happen in The Crow, now i've run out of things to say but i put a comma so i thought i better keep going and finish this sentence. Oh well best stop here then. Or maybe here.

Alassė

I guess I've been a little confusing - Hem's usename (Hem/Cai) is a bit of an issue; Cai is his Bardic name, Hem one he was given or has chosen for himself, and is Pilanel. Unlike Maerad, Hem isn't quite comfortable with the Bardic culture. His Truename is, as I said, important later on (MUCH later on, hint hint). In the normal run of things he'd be due to get Instated, but events get rather in the way.

The Way of the White Flame is the simplest naming ceremony the Bards know, and is considered in Maerad's time to be archaic. The Pilanel would have a ritual somewhat like it, and no doubt the Wise Kindred have their own version. It can only be made by those with the Speech, who know how to call up the White Flame.

I think therefore I am StarLily's Avatar
    so does taht mean that maerad or cadvan could instate hem? just curious

Yes, potentially they could.

I think therefore I am StarLily's Avatar
    oooooooooooooo so maybe...

argh
    too many possibilities.
    think i might go into hibernation til the books come out...

Quote Originally Posted by alison
    His Truename is, as I said, important later on (MUCH later on, hint hint).
    I've just had a thought! Could his truename be sort of related to Maerad's and through this he is much more connected with the 'quest' than they realise?

Quite possibly, i'm sure we'e already said that he is very important to the "quest" and the Treesong, but i don't know where!

I read in one of the appendice (yes i'm off again) that a persons truename is often quite simply i.e. someone who is good with horses will have a name like "horsehand" in the Speech. In this respect Maerad's name is very unusual as Elednor Edil-Amarandh na, in the Speech means something similar to "Maerad of the World" in modern english. So i'm not sure what Hem's truename could be.

There is the possibility that it is:
    a) related to crows (Irc... possibly white crow in the Speech? interesting)
    b) related to healing
    c) something else that we don't/can't know yet

Alassė

its probably something we cant/dont know yet
    cant wait til June.

ARGH!!too many possible possiblities! I might go lock myself away in my safe on Jupiter (I know it's a gas giant but MY safe IS there!) and throw away the key, so that it can orbit the planet, and return to me in June, in time for me to get back here in time for my own...*gasp* personall *ohh* copy *ahh* of...*ooooooooohhhhhhhhhh!* th enext book!!!!YAYYYYYYY!!
    you've probably all just cracked Alisons Top Secret plot outline- she'll go change it now! lol

nah, not likely not at all convinced that i'm bright enough to crack the plot (don't know about anyone else though )

Alassė

neither am i but the tension and suspense is killing me!

just wondering what has this got to do with Hem??

Alassė

nothing really..