Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Speech

Idon'tknowwhatthatmeans. Mistress Maerad's Avatar

The Speech

Well, this is just a place to talk about the speech. But mostly, I was wondering some things:

a) is The Speech like the Elidhu language?
    b) The Dhyllin (and Rachida's people, if they are not one and the same) learned the Speech by ear, so does that mean others can?
    c) How is the Speech put together? (like, could lonesome Pellinorites speak in the speech by just putting syllables together? Or are all words different?

I dunno if any of you can answer this, but thanx if you can!

I don't know, but I had a question of my own. In The Gift, Maerad can't get a grasp on any of the words in the Speech that Cadvan tells her, but she remembers the name of her sword, even though it is in the Speech. I think she remembers the name of Cadvan's sword too, even though it is also in the Speech.So why can she only remember some words? It doesn't make sense.

vampire dazzler cullen crusader's Avatar
    well i think i remember cadvan saying something about how the speech might be buried deeper in her to protect her from hulls etc.

and yes non bards can learn the speech in the riddle when they arrived back in annar the girl maerad became friends with could speak it.

not everyone is good at languages either some people may only be able to remember a few words of another language maybe maerad was just like that, but that bothers me aswell because doesnt maerad have an exceptional memory?
    Last edited by cullen crusader; April 16th, 2008 at 12:41 AM.

A small room off the corridor of sanity :D
    Blog Entries
    I think the speech comes from an almost energy so maybe she was able to learn it while around lots of bardic magery energy but not when the air was weak . for that she'd have to come into the speech

F-P that sounded dangerously close to intelligent

no offence meant

A small room off the corridor of sanity :D
    Blog Entries
    Thanks and no not offended but a bit hurt that you're surprised. Since wisdom come to only those ignorant rather than those whom know many a thing

Quote Originally Posted by Fallen-Petals View Post
    Thanks and no not offended but a bit hurt that you're surprised. Since wisdom come to only those ignorant rather than those whom know many a thing
    OMG that means....................im wise to lol

very cool speech idea tho

Quote Originally Posted by Savendia View Post
    I don't know, but I had a question of my own. In The Gift, Maerad can't get a grasp on any of the words in the Speech that Cadvan tells her, but she remembers the name of her sword, even though it is in the Speech. I think she remembers the name of Cadvan's sword too, even though it is also in the Speech.So why can she only remember some words? It doesn't make sense.
    ^I think its like the word deja-vu is french, and everyone knows that but we still use it as an english word, we don't say 'Oh, I'm having a sense of theres nothing new in that.' we say 'I'm having a sense of deja-vu' (I don't speak french I had to look that up) Am I making sense????
    Last edited by Pipsy G; April 17th, 2008 at 10:13 AM.

actually, deja-vu means seen before........but....that's makes no difference to your very good point which I actually agree with.......so just ignore me

I agree with you Pipsy G. In the words of Bill Bryson, "We have nothing in English to match…the French sang-froid, the Russian Glasnost, or the Spanish macho”. Thus, we adopt them as English words, used in a manner without translation. However, it is also important to note that the chances of an English speaker effectively communicating in Russian to a Russian native, based solely on the word glasnost, are slim.

It is common to use words of a foreign language in everyday speech without actually knowing the true meaning, if there is even a translation. Often, as Bryson says, there is no equivalent, which may be the case with some of the Speech words Maerad knows before she comes into the Speech. For example, the Italians have a word (culacino) for the mark a moist glass leaves on the table. The Gaelic speakers of Scotland have a word (sgriob) that describes the itchiness of one's upper lip just before taking a sip of whiskey.

In the case of names, such as Maerad's and Cadvan's swords, leaving the name in the original language is often preferred. Take, say, Mikhail Gorbachev (in my mind since I discussed glasnost earlier). We could easily change his name to Michael, the English equivalent, but then it would not be his name. Michael Gorbachev? Weird. The Russian variant of my name is Yeva. Close, but not my name.

Unfortunately, the western world has had historical problems which changing peoples' names at will. Confucius was actually named something closer to K'ung-fu-tzu.

Ok, my mini-linguistics lesson is over now. Just as a side note, "deja-vu" is better translated as "already seen" or "already saw" (as DWMG mentioned). Just another example of effective usage without knowledge of translation.
    Last edited by EvaBourne; April 17th, 2008 at 11:11 AM. Reason: DWMG beat me with the meaning of deja-vu...

Good you all get my point

But with the deja-vu I'm just quoting what my french dictionary is telling me, but already seen/saw is so much quicker to type and it sounds better so I'm going with that. Thanks for the french lesson!!

P.S I don't have the dictionary out of choice, I have it because my school makes me. Cursed place that it is . No offence to anybody who owns french dictionarys because they like them

Quote Originally Posted by EvaBourne View Post
    I agree with you Pipsy G. In the words of Bill Bryson, "We have nothing in English to match…the French sang-froid, the Russian Glasnost, or the Spanish macho”. Thus, we adopt them as English words, used in a manner without translation. However, it is also important to note that the chances of an English speaker effectively communicating in Russian to a Russian native, based solely on the word glasnost, are slim.

It is common to use words of a foreign language in everyday speech without actually knowing the true meaning, if there is even a translation. Often, as Bryson says, there is no equivalent, which may be the case with some of the Speech words Maerad knows before she comes into the Speech. For example, the Italians have a word (culacino) for the mark a moist glass leaves on the table. The Gaelic speakers of Scotland have a word (sgriob) that describes the itchiness of one's upper lip just before taking a sip of whiskey.

In the case of names, such as Maerad's and Cadvan's swords, leaving the name in the original language is often preferred. Take, say, Mikhail Gorbachev (in my mind since I discussed glasnost earlier). We could easily change his name to Michael, the English equivalent, but then it would not be his name. Michael Gorbachev? Weird. The Russian variant of my name is Yeva. Close, but not my name.

Unfortunately, the western world has had historical problems which changing peoples' names at will. Confucius was actually named something closer to K'ung-fu-tzu.

Ok, my mini-linguistics lesson is over now. Just as a side note, "deja-vu" is better translated as "already seen" or "already saw" (as DWMG mentioned). Just another example of effective usage without knowledge of translation.

very intersting tho

Let me just say EvaBourne, you're knoweldge of linguistics astounds me!

And I also noticed the fact that Maerad remembered the swords' names etc but the rest of the speech slipped out of her mind. I always assumed that happened because she and Cadvan were using those words as actual names; she could never remember the speech when the word was merely labelling something. Eg: Arnost the Sword, as opposed to That Thing is a Flower. Does that make sense?

Dawn Flower of the Speech
    Yes actually it does. So its like remembering pro-nouns as apposed to nouns.

sometimes coming on here makes me feel so intellectualy inferior............. oh well thats what chocolates for.
    i still think maerads inability to grasp the speech before she'd actually come into it was some kind of self preservation thing, if you consider how much older than usual she got it and were she was before hand (gilmans cot) the fact that she is the 'one' (i hate saying that) and that the dark is starting to make their move.