Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stop It!!!

Stop It!!!

I was content in my own lil'world with my own book list to work on.. till I stumbled onto this abomination of a forum.. Why the devil do you people have to keep recommending more and more books?!!?! I used to have a nice list in my "to read" section, but now...NOW I have dozens more books to sift through and a horde of new authors waiting to either entertain or annoy me.

Leave me alone!!

ROFL

Poor little werewolf, you'll need to buy bookcases, move to a bigger house soon, buy even more bookcases. This is the beginning of the end....

Quote Originally Posted by werewolfv2
    I was content in my own lil'world with my own book list to work on.. till I stumbled onto this abomination of a forum.. Why the devil do you people have to keep recommending more and more books?!!?! I used to have a nice list in my "to read" section, but now...NOW I have dozens more books to sift through and a horde of new authors waiting to either entertain or annoy me.

Leave me alone!!
    The same thing happened to me...now my to read pile stands at over a 100 books...and that doesn't include the ones on my to buy list

Heh. Heh ehehe heheheeeeeeeeeeeee...

~gazes up at 7 precarious piles of to-reads on top of desk and thinks 'yup, happened to me too.'

Ain't it great?

Oh and once you're here - you can't actually escape either. I only had 5 piles a few months ago - the two additionals are pretty much comprised of books I found here. I really notice the sheer weight of them all when I look behind the desk at the equally precarious electrical system (old house, lots of plugs, lots of appliances) and the books actually fall on my head.

Yes, this has happened - more than once actually. It kinda hurts having 90 odd books collapse around you. Hm. It's at times like that when I think - I need to have a safer hobby.

K

Too many books to read means i now only consider reccomendations that come from 5 or more respectable ppl here.

If you tried to read all the books in the 10 best books ever thread i doubt you could finish in a lifetime.

Your ours now!!! Wahahahahahaha!!!

Its inevitable really, first if your not careful its a mild trembling in the hands once you go a certain amount of time without buying a book, then later on convulsions and frothing at the mouth.

Plus there comes a deep connection to the books you own, which quickly becomes a protective obssesion ' Don't touch that! Nooooooooooooooooo !!! '

Then you start endlessly and pointlessly stacking the books you have into different orders on your bookshelf ( Favourite authors, covers etc )

Soon you'll have no space left for books ... in comes another bookcase...soon a pattern starts emerging, in comes more bookcases, more books, not enough room ...

Then you start eating less, shunning the company of people as you madly categorise your books into a different positions all the time trying to satisfy your mad need for MORE BOOKS!!!!! MoooooooooooooRRRRRRREEEEEEEEEEee!

GahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

Ahem, no wait, it could be thats just me ...

Quote Originally Posted by Gildor
    Your ours now!!! Wahahahahahaha!!!

Its inevitable really, first if your not careful its a mild trembling in the hands once you go a certain amount of time without buying a book, then later on convulsions and frothing at the mouth.

Plus there comes a deep connection to the books you own, which quickly becomes a protective obssesion ' Don't touch that! Nooooooooooooooooo !!! '

Then you start endlessly and pointlessly stacking the books you have into different orders on your bookshelf ( Favourite authors, covers etc )

Soon you'll have no space left for books ... in comes another bookcase...soon a pattern starts emerging, in comes more bookcases, more books, not enough room ...

Then you start eating less, shunning the company of people as you madly categorise your books into a different positions all the time trying to satisfy your mad need for MORE BOOKS!!!!! MoooooooooooooRRRRRRREEEEEEEEEEee!

GahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

Ahem, no wait, it could be thats just me ...
    I thought you'd been spying on me

does it count if I have taken over a kitchen cabinet and filled it with books?

so, might as well ask....

>Ok, recommend series please.<

I am reading Martin and Erikson and don't need to be pointed towards Cook, Keyes or Bakker, Clemens, Gemmell, Williams and Zimmer...

So in short, something that would fit in with the above mentioned authors

(Hickman/Weis/Feist/Brooks/Salvatore/Jordan/Goodkind need not apply)

Here with muffins!!! The Master™'s Avatar
    UK - somewhere in the northern wastelands
    You wanna try visiting lots of Sci-Fi/Fantasy forums, and finding that there are lots of people out there recommending books...

My bank account has been badly assaulted by my purchases on Amazon... I have to go to BA (Books Anonymous) meetings!!

"Hi, my name is The Master™, it has been 2 weeks since I bought a book"

*Breaks down crying*

Why can't I get a lottery win to feed my addiction???

Filthy Assistants! Moderator kater's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by werewolfv2
    >Ok, recommend series please.<

I am reading Martin and Erikson and don't need to be pointed towards Cook, Keyes or Bakker, Clemens, Gemmell, Williams and Zimmer...

So in short, something that would fit in with the above mentioned authors

(Hickman/Weis/Feist/Brooks/Salvatore/Jordan/Goodkind need not apply)
    James Barclay and Matthew Woodring Stover who both are involved with this site would fit well in that list I believe

Muahahahaha! It took me little or no time to become one of "them". To be perfectly honest, my to-read pile problems began way before I actually registered on here, because, confession time, I've been a touch-and-go lurker for about five years, and made extensive used of The Recommendation Thread and other threads.

I was looking at my bookshelf today, and realized it was completely full up with books that I, for the most part, have bought since the beginning of last summer.

The OP made me laugh hysterically, BTW. When I read the title, I thought for sure it might be some super-noob complaining about his threads being locked or something.

btw how about everybody posts their top ten favorite fantasy novels of all-time in history in this thread it would be really cool to see exactly what it is e veryone around here considers to be the nubmer one very best fnatsy books every lol you know what i mean cos if we ware gunna be reading all of this stuff it might as well be the best my favorite authors are martin adn fesit and goodkind and jordan and terry brook shannara books and terry pratchet and robin hobb and jrr tolkine lord of the rings lol also btw i need some book reccommmmnedations i don't know what to read next and i like to read jordan and erikson and martin and ogodkind and joradan and feist i like pug al ot and jon snow lol so if you could reccomendaa me some fbooks like that like the shannara books that would be really aweosme luagh out loud rotfl also dont forget to list your r alltime fantasy top fifteen books an d then i'll get everybody s vote and compile te ultimate list of sffworld what the top books are and then we will gfinally know also remember my reccomendations i like martin erikson terry brooks shannara books robin hobb cos fitz is the bomb diggie lol and jon snow in martins books is soo aweomse he is like my favorite characters ever so if you could just reccocomend me some books like that also who is your favorite MARTIN CHAR lol matin is awesome if havent read feest4crowez yet but icant wait gotta finish jrodan kod first also what is everybodys top favorite charcters in mfantsy all time i like terrybrooks shannara and mages and warrioss as well lol so pleeez erfael don't close my thread nad git mad at me or robB i need these reccs and dont forget ultimate list top twenty fantasy novels alltime!!!!! lol
    \

I"ll just say it's scary how well you can do that.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kater
    James Barclay and Matthew Woodring Stover who both are involved with this site would fit well in that list I believe
    I whole-heartedly agree. I am currently reading James Barclay's fourth Raven book and enjoying it. Matthew Stover's work is among my all-time favorites and I'd recommend him as well.

I am another whose "To-be-read" list is quite extensive thanks to this forum. And I would never have been exposed to some of the great work that I've read if I never became a member of this site.

wow! homer I gotta hand it to you, my head damn near exploded reading that

Homer, hats off to you. ROTFL!

And to keep OT, it's been great adding to my reading list with the breadth of experience that people around here have. Previously I populated my to-read list almost exclusively from the pages of Locus, which is great but sometimes a little narrow. So hearing from everyone here has been eye opening. And expensive. But so very, very worth it.