Page 6 of 419 FirstFirst ... 456781656106 ... LastLast
    Hi Evil Agent - yes, they are YA books - at least, marketed that way in the US and the UK, if not here in Oz - although they do have many adult readers. The name Pellinor comes from Morte D'Arthur and is said differently from the Pelennor Fields, where the emphasis is on the second syllable, not the first. You are free to dislike it, of course. But do dislike it for the right reasons. Perhaps you should read the books first before making judgements.

As for the romance - they are romances in the old fashioned sense (ie stories of adventure etc) but the romantic element is more at present in the desires of the fans than in the actual stories - I shall duck at this point. There is certainly no heavy emphasis on a romantic story. They are character-led stories, which is I suppose why people are so interested in the characters and what they might possibly do. A review I got in the post yesterday from the Bulletin of the Centre for Children's Books puts it this way:

"An epic tale both like and unlike Tolkien's "lord of the Rings"...Croggon paints her characters with a more lifelike brush than Tolkien used - though participating in an epic tale set in a fantasy world, the cast members display a quotidian side to their personalities that makes them appealingly realistic. Via these characters, mystery, prophecy and conspiracy unite to create an exciting story told in a sophisticated blend of poetic and demotic prose that is often shot through with humor and wit. Like Tolkien, Croggon makes ample use of original poetry couched as bardic texts - her excellent pieces mimic Beowulf and other ancient epics as well as haiku. ...the first is a projected quartet, this Australian import is high fantasy of high calibre."

Saturn Comes Back Around Evil Agent's Avatar
    Hi Evil Agent - yes, they are YA books - at least, marketed that way in the US and the UK, if not here in Oz - although they do have many adult readers.
    I do admit that I read YA books, including Harry Potter and His Dark Materials... Maybe it's because they remind me somewhat of the Chronicles of Narnia, which were my introduction to Fantasy when I was 12.
    The name Pellinor comes from Morte D'Arthur and is said differently from the Pelennor Fields, where the emphasis is on the second syllable, not the first. You are free to dislike it, of course. But do dislike it for the right reasons. Perhaps you should read the books first before making judgements.
    I stand corrected.
    Good point though, about making judgements... Maybe rather than dislike, I should have said it 'vexed' me. But your explanation was pretty good.

Nice blurb, by the way. The poetry aspect sounds interesting.

Thanks, EA. It was a nice review, and arrived with a bunch of other nice ones on my birthday (yes, guys, I am 43!!! Just one year past the Meaning of Life!) which seemed all very auspicious...

Saturn Comes Back Around Evil Agent's Avatar
    yes, guys, I am 43!!! Just one year past the Meaning of Life
    does that mean you've figured out the Ultimate Question yet?

Anyway, I'm starting to accept the aging process..moving towards 30. But I actually think/hope that my 40's will be some of the best times.

Yep. The Ultimate Question is, Why????

For me, turning 40 was a blast, and so far I'm having the most fun ever. I didn't go to Venice or Iceland until I was 40. I'm meeting fabulous people. &c. So I like it...

hi evry1

i'm jes, as u cn c. totalli new n innocent -cof cof . I'm 14, 15 in lyk a month n live in england - near oxford. I luv shoppin, readin, art, ridin, watchin rugby (even tho england r totalli rubbish rite now n ave been 4 a while, wales r definitli mor fun 2 watch) n generali avin a gd tym. Luv Pellinor books, reali want Cadvan n maerad 2 get 2gethr n cant wait til da nxt the crow cums out. well, enuf o speeches. ciao.

Welcome Jes, to this somewhat unruly forum! Hope you enjoy it here.

Speaking of which...I've just deleted a number of irrelevant posts. And direct newbies and certain delinquent oldies (ahem naming no names ) to the post on Da Roolz at the top there...or if you get really serious, to the forum guidelines at the very top.

why hello there

im claire, im 13 and i live in england

i love nintendos gameboys and the gift

Hiya everyone. .u already know me..but i thought that i should just tell everyone..that i was Cheeky Monkey..but i can't get onto my account, as i had forgotten my password and i had typed my e-mail incorrectly on the form. Grrrr! soooo...just thought i'd let everyone know..hiya again. Hi Claire!

Welcome, newbies - and oldies!! Enjoy your time here.

the albino crow awaits us soon2b_author's Avatar
    Hi Claire!

Im 13 (goin on 14 in 3 days), live in Australia, like gameboy, have a zelda game on nintendo (actualy pritty good) and im definatly not a stupid boy (tho my brothers are)

you sound really nice!

welcome to the forum!!!

(im kind of a newbie my self)

Administrator Administrator Hobbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Ladies and gentlemen: (though I don't see many of the menfolk around).

If you look way back in this thread you will see that both Alison and myself have asked very nicely that this thread is to say Hi but then all chattery is to be taken to the chattery thread. I see that this is something that you seem to have difficulties with.

Can I remind you AGAIN therefore of the purpose of this thread?

Say Hi - Alison's always happy to say Hi back - but then keep the chattery to the chattery threads.

Thank you.

(You may find this thread closed whilst I tidy up.)

LATER EDIT: Thread now tidied.

Now: You may find that in that editing process you may have disappeared. Can I apologise now if that is the case?

It is a real pain tidying up after you lot, but we love you.

Please try not to cause poor Alison more work - she would be better off actually WRITING, don't you think?

Hobbit
    Mark

Guardian of Morals Custos Morum's Avatar
    Oh dear, what an intimidating post after which to introduce myself... (was that gramatically correct? o.0)

Well my name is Nabila, I was born in 1989 and I'm female... living in Toronto, Canada! I looove curling up with a good fantasy novel and currently am in love with Harry Potter, The Abhorsen trilogy, Pellinor, Tamora Pierce, Kate Constable, Libba Bray, and many more.

I also like to write poetry and stories. I play the violin, clarinet, recorder, and some self-taught piano... I enjoy drawing, playing badminton, spending time with friends and family, and hope to become an international lawyer working with the U.N. some day.

Oh yes, I'm Muslim of Bengali heritage and quite proud of it, too =).

Lastly: WHY DOES CANADA HAVE TO WAIT SO LONG TO GET THE PELLINOR BOOKS? *POUT* HOW LONG CAN I GO WITHOUT CADVAN? (just kidding lol. I'm not a crazy fangirl. Yet.) BUT SERIOUSLY... CAN'T THEY PUBLISH THE BOOKS FASTER? PLEASE? Alison, could you possibly do something about that, perhaps persuade publishers to get your books out here at the same time as they do in the UK?

Thanks =)

the albino crow awaits us soon2b_author's Avatar
    Hi Nabila!

We seem to have a bit in common. I'm female and a bit younger than you (almost 14) you shouldnt realy be giving away all these details about yourself! Well any way I play some of the instrunments you play and want to be an international lawyer or somewhat if I dont become a famous author!

Welcome to the forum, I hope you have a good time. Oh yes, once again you shouldnt realy be giving away all these details about yourself, the internet isnt safe!

Guardian of Morals Custos Morum's Avatar
    Hey, soon2b_author - thanks for welcoming me! You're right, the internet isn't safe. That's why I don't put out my last name on the internet (trust me, there are thousands of Nabilas worldwide, and quite a few Nabilas in Toronto!) I'd just like to point out that if you become an author and don't adopt a penname... well, your name will be everywhere on the internet, too =P. The best I can do is never meet someone off the internet (which I advise everyone else here to follow, no matter how much you trust one another... if you DO meet someone off the net, bring like five other people with you! Better safe than sorry).