Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Anyone read Circle of Reign?

Circle of Reign: The Dying Lands Chronicle by Jacob Cooper sounds like an interesting book and has 13 five star reviews on Amazon and 7 five star reviews on Audible. However, when I check out the reviewers most of them have either no prior reviews or their prior reviews are not for fantasy books. This makes me question the reliability of those reviews.

So I am curious if anyone read the book as I like to try out new fantasy now and then but really don't want to start on a 600+ page book that turns out to be not worth the time and money.

I noticed that three of the reviews are from his brothers who he thanks at the start of the book.
    At least two others are friends (also thanked at the start of the book).

The book had caught my attention but I think I'll wait until there are more legitimate reviews.

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu View Post
    I noticed that three of the reviews are from his brothers who he thanks at the start of the book.
    At least two others are friends (also thanked at the start of the book).

The book had caught my attention but I think I'll wait until there are more legitimate reviews.
    Hey guys, I understand wanting to wait to see some other reviews for my book. My brothers are highly critical and their reviews are sincere, but I get it I think there are 18 now on Amazon and 20 on audible, though not everyone left a comment on audible. A couple on goodreads as well. Average on Amazon is 4.9 and 4.6 on audible, after getting shredded by one person...but I take the good with the bad. I hope you do take a chance on it and feel you won't be disappointed. Even if you are, I'd love to hear about it. Also, on my author Facebook page there's a free intro in both text and audiobook as well as lots of reviews and discussions. I'm a self-published author, so learning as I go

What are your favorite books? What are you reading/listening to now?
    Last edited by AuthorJacobCoop; August 28th, 2014 at 08:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AuthorJacobCoop View Post
    Hey guys, I understand wanting to wait to see some other reviews for my book. My brothers are highly critical and their reviews are sincere, but I get it I think there are 18 now on Amazon and 20 on audible, though not everyone left a comment on audible. A couple on goodreads as well. Average on Amazon is 4.9 and 4.6 on audible, after getting shredded by one person...but I take the good with the bad. I hope you do take a chance on it and feel you won't be disappointed. Even if you are, I'd love to hear about it. Also, on my author Facebook page there's a free intro in both text and audiobook as well as lots of reviews and discussions. I'm a self-published author, so learning as I go

What are your favorite books? What are you reading/listening to now?
    Hi Mr. Cooper,
    Just downloaded your book, not because of the great reviews on Amazon, but because you posted on this site. Any author that doesn't have a huge reputation and fan base.....(yet..... hopefully being the key word right?) that has tough enough skin to post on an internet board..... I'll try out. It was through this site that I first heard of Joe Abercrombie, Michael Sullivan and Mark Lawrence ...... and I have both purchased and enjoyed almost all of their published works. I still have to read Mark's Emperor of Thorns to finish off that series ..... Assail came out as I finished King of Thorns and I had that preordered for forever so.....

I am a fairly prolific Fantasy and SciFi reader (majority Fantasy) so I should be starting your book in the next day or so and I will happily post my thoughts back here on this thread.

As to your questions.... I am a HUGE Malazan fan (hence Assail interrupting my read of the Broken Empire trilogy) ..... not quite as rabid as some of the members of Malazanempire.com, but I am a member of that site...LOL. And I just finished Stars at War II by David Weber and Steve White.... I used to play the game Starfire, which that series is based on, back in the 80's..... So now that I have your book safely loaded in my Kindle.... you're up next..... and then I will move on to Emperor of Thorns to finish off the Broken Empire series by Mark Lawrence.

Cheers Mr. Cooper!

Kempster

Those are some great series. It's pretty odd (maybe), but I have a very hard time reading/listening to fantasy while writing it. I have to switch genres to something less demanding of the imagination. I've always found this true when composing music as well. Anyway, I truly hope you enjoy the book. Altar of Influence, a Prelude/prequel is completed and coming out in oct/nov. Book 2, Song of Night, is still early in its draft stage but progressing. More is coming...

Those are some great series. It's pretty odd (maybe), but I have a very hard time reading/listening to fantasy while writing it. I have to switch genres to something less demanding of the imagination. I've always found this true when composing music as well. Anyway, I truly hope you enjoy the book. Altar of Influence, a Prelude/prequel is completed and coming out in oct/nov. Book 2, Song of Night, is still early in its draft stage but progressing. More is coming...
    Actually, I think in a way it makes sense that you would need to step away from reading other authors in the same genre while you are writing. I am looking forward to the read as I am always on the lookout for something new. By the way, the cover of your book is absolutely excellent. Whoever did the artwork deserves to be commended.

There are threads on this forum dedicated to cover art and I think that I will try to post your cover on that thread.... I say try since I haven't actually tried to embed anything on my posts on this site yet.

Cheers!
    Kempster

Quote Originally Posted by kempster View Post
    Actually, I think in a way it makes sense that you would need to step away from reading other authors in the same genre while you are writing. I am looking forward to the read as I am always on the lookout for something new. By the way, the cover of your book is absolutely excellent. Whoever did the artwork deserves to be commended.

There are threads on this forum dedicated to cover art and I think that I will try to post your cover on that thread.... I say try since I haven't actually tried to embed anything on my posts on this site yet.

Cheers!
    Kempster
    The cover art was done by John Avon, design David O'Connor. Both good chaps. John Avon is a legend, having done many of the Magic The Gathering cards. He was a real find for me, and is well underway for the next book. http://johnavonart.com/
    Also, I think you can find some more pictures/variations on my FB page: https://www.facebook.com/JacobCooperCOR?ref=hl
    Appreciate the feedback.

Sounds interesting. Are there plans to publish the books in German as well?

Eventually, I'm sure.

Well, I just started The Widow's House by Daniel Abraham after which my list includes Half a King by Joe Abercrombie and Prince of Fools by Mark Lawrence. I am going to put Circle of Reign on the list since, as stated above, I like to take a chance on authors willing to post on these forums (I have not been disappointed yet).

I can understand how hard it is to get a self-published book noticed these days with so many novels being released, especially on amazon. I think things like being active on internet forums is a very positive way of getting people talking about your work.

Quote Originally Posted by Khale View Post
    Well, I just started The Widow's House by Daniel Abraham after which my list includes Half a King by Joe Abercrombie and Prince of Fools by Mark Lawrence. I am going to put Circle of Reign on the list since, as stated above, I like to take a chance on authors willing to post on these forums (I have not been disappointed yet).
    Thank you, sir. I actually have not read any Mark Lawrence yet. I'm going to give him a shot...once I take a break from writing book 2. Abercrombie is a master at descriptions. I'm truly analyzing him right now. Great reference.

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu View Post
    I can understand how hard it is to get a self-published book noticed these days with so many novels being released, especially on amazon. I think things like being active on internet forums is a very positive way of getting people talking about your work.
    Probably very right!

Thank you, sir. I actually have not read any Mark Lawrence yet. I'm going to give him a shot...once I take a break from writing book 2. Abercrombie is a master at descriptions. I'm truly analyzing him right now. Great reference.
    JA is great at many things.... but for me... his greatest achievement.... is Glokta.... I simply love that dude! The Bloody Nine was cool as hell, but Glokta....... unreal in epic coolness.......

Speaking of coolness.... Just started the book.... You drop us into action right off the bat.... I love that..... that's one of the things that was such a shock to first read Malazan books..... here you are.... this is what is happening RIGHT NOW.... deal with it.... if you are lucky you may get an explanation later..... well... enjoying your book so far..

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by kempster View Post
    JA is great at many things.... but for me... his greatest achievement.... is Glokta.... I simply love that dude! The Bloody Nine was cool as hell, but Glokta....... unreal in epic coolness.......

Speaking of coolness.... Just started the book.... You drop us into action right off the bat.... I love that..... that's one of the things that was such a shock to first read Malazan books..... here you are.... this is what is happening RIGHT NOW.... deal with it.... if you are lucky you may get an explanation later..... well... enjoying your book so far..

Cheers
    That's key for me...a book should grab me from the get-go. I do read a lot of thrillers as well, and perhaps that filters into my writing a bit. And yes, explanations do come, but I don't spoon feed you Some things are explained, others intuited, others you'll guess at until future books. Please let me know how you enjoy it when you are done and would be honored by an honest review on amazon/goodreads.