Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Hemingway

Who is the most powerful fantasy character?

Characters in the realm of fantasy have always had exorbitant powers or capabilities that nearly dwarf a gods power (sometimes to the extent that it makes a strenuous task of generating equally contending antagonists). I’d like to get everyone’s assessment upon who they believe is the most powerful character in fantasy, keeping in mind this is not limited to good or bad characters.

I nominate Pug from Raymond Feist’s series (difficult choice with the Valheru and Macros coming so close). When Pug made the sky rain fire and the ground quake etc. in the coliseum of Kelewan and sent even the Great One’s fleeing in terror (classic scene) that ended any indecisive hesitance in my view, as to who reigns supreme in utter power in the fantasy realm.

Yeah, I'd say him or Anakha at the end of the Elenium. That was pretty crazy.

I think we should stick with mortals here. Usually when gods get pulled into discussions like this, considering that usually what they can actually DO is left pretty vague, it gets pretty lame pretty fast.

Oh. The Deciever from the Shadow War Trilogy. Good luck topping that.

Talking

Me!
    Last edited by Bardos; March 3rd, 2003 at 04:17 AM.

What about that girl who eventually died and had her power transferred to her mother in the Chronicles of the Raven? Her power released tsunamis, earthquakes, storms etc.. and that was before her One power was even developed. Her power crushed even the might of the Dordovans and broke even Xeteskian magic!! Can't remember her name though.

Tame the Rage
    What series is that? I wouldn't mind reading that. Or even the authors name would help. Thanx.

Cadfael
    The childs name was Lyanna...

The book was Nightchild, by our very own James Barclay (NOM), it is book 3 of the series.

The Chronicles of the Raven
    1. Dawnthief
    2. Noonshade
    3. Nightchild

There is also an ongoing companion series called 'The Legends of the Raven, only one book so far... Elfsorrow

Thomas Covenant

For Goodness sake! He had the power to break the Arch of Time. With utter ease at that! I dare say, could anyone afore said mentioned be so powerful? I think not. Ponder that, and be Dismayed!

Cadfael
    I would go with that... the wild magic can be used for good and evil. Yes... if the arch of time is broken the world will end... in fact I am pretty certain ALL worlds will end.

That was another aspect... this magic was in the hands of a very dispairing person... it was a gamble on the part of the 'beggar' that TC would not just self destruct.... taking everyone with him.

Yes lyanna was powerful. And from what James has mentioned about the next upcoming novels of the 'legends of the raven' I am very much looking forward to them!

Some of the characters and creatures in the Silmarilllion were powerful.

Also Mark Chadbourns "Age of Misrule" triology. Had very powerful Celtic mythological creatures (and gods, but I wont mention them).

Akasha the vampiress from Anne Rices Queen of the damned (followed Interview with a vampire)

The Deciever pretty well spanked the arch of time with a fencepost, right before he/she/it left craters of volcanic glass over the 13 most powerful ley sites in the whole world. And that was it's first feat in the firsst book of the Shadow War.

Guardian of sffworld Moderator James Barclay's Avatar
    Interesting stuff. Lyanna had power but had no means to control it. That might knock her out of this thread. How about Denser? InDawnthief he had the spell of the same name under his control for a time, and they don't come any more powerful (potentially anyway) than that, whatever the series...

Thomas Convenant is a similar argument. Had the power, didn't want to abuse it.

I'm prepared to call it a draw

My vote goes for two guys of the barbaric persuasion.

Conan who had no powers as such to speak of, but was still the most dangerous man alive in his era.

Slaine MacRoth like Conan, only he could warp into a superhuman Hulk of a man.

Nuff said!

I second Pug.

Also, Mara from the Empire Trilogy. She brought Kelewan to its knees and bent it to her will.

Rand and several other WOT characters would have to be nominees too.

Sauron, even though he was easily defeated in the end. Pretty good though considering he barely lifted a finger the whole time.

Hemingway
    I like the two previous posted nominations for their introspective considerations, deviating from any sense of linear thinking. There are many different evaluations that may assess power, be it political, sheer brute strength, brilliant minds, etc. I’m glad to see some people are thinking outside the box on this one.

But Pug not only may be regarded as powerful in the sense of brute force (this brute force being magic) but also as a revolutionary mind upon Kelewan, so in two senses I see my previous nomination and Milamber's as a double edged sword as it were.

Uh, Moderator
    I think this discussion is about as pointless as those Marvel vs DC comic crossovers.
    Basically, it's all subjective.
    Pug and Thomas Covenant and Anomander Rake and Tomas and Conan and Daenerys and Richard and Rand and pretty much any other fantasy character you can think of will not appear in a book with each other. Furthermore, when characters get to the ridiculously powerful godlike states, it basically comes down to how the author decides the battle will eventuate.