Page 2 of 48 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Next 10 on TBR

Well, ten that look most likely right now, and only those from sf/fantasy/horror:

_The Rhinoceros Who Quoted Nietzsche and Other Odd Acquaintances _ -- Peter Beagle
    _Strange Itineraries_ --Tim Powers
    _Looking for Jake_ -- China Mieville
    _13 Phantasms_ -- James Blaylock
    _Ghost Music_ -- Thomas Tessier
    _Mischief_ -- Douglas Clegg
    _The House on the Borderland_ -- William Hope Hodgson
    _Her Smoke Rose Up Forever_ -- James Tiptree, Jr.
    _The Snowman's Children_ -- Glen Hirshberg
    _Neverwhere_ -- Neil Gaiman

Randy M.

I don't know whether these will be exactly the next 10 I'll read, or the right order, but it'll be something like this:
    1) The Iron Dragon's Daughter - Michael Swanwick
    2) Sword and Citadel - Gene Wolfe (2nd two books of the Book of the New Sun)
    3) The Drawing of the Dark - Tim Powers
    4) City of Saints and Madmen - Jeff Vandermeer
    5) Emperor of Dreams - Clark Ashton Smith
    6) The Stars My Destination - Alfred Bester
    7) Ash - Mary Gentle
    8) The Worm Ourobouros - ER Eddison
    9) Hawkwood's Voyage - Paul Kearney
    10) Tales of the Dying Earth - Jack Vance

I have a lot more after that, but those are roughly the next 10 I'll read.

That's a tough question. I usually don't know until I finish one book what I will read next. But with the new releases coming out I can name the next four I will read (counting the one I am currently reading) in order:

1. The Orb of Xoriat, by Ed Bolme (currently reading)
    2. Knife of Dreams, by Robert Jordan
    3. Promise of the Witch King, by R.A. Salvatore
    4. Master of Dragons, by Margaret Weis

After that I'll probably need a break from fantasy so I'll probably read:

5. Hallo'ween Party, by Agatha Christie
    6. Shadows of the Empire, by Steve Perry (Star Wars book)
    or perhaps Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Then back to fantasy/sci-fi (not in any order)

7. Gardens of the Moon, by Steven Erickson (have long wanted to read this series)
    8. A Game of Thrones, by George RR Martin (have already read this but want to reread it and continue with the series so I'll be ready when A Feast of Crows comes out).
    9. Tales From Earthsea, by Ursula K. Le Guin
    10. American Gods, by Neil Gaiman (have been searching for a hardcover so I can read Anasi Boys right way (I liked to have series all in the same format)).

Other possiblilities include:

Assassin's Apprentice, by Robin Hobb
    and
    The One Kingdon, by Sean Russell
    Last edited by DragonReader; October 6th, 2005 at 12:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Brys
    9) Hawkwood's Voyage - Paul Kearney
    Given your reading habits, Brys, I'm not sure you'll like this one. I would only recommend it if you're looking for something really, really light. As I understand, the series improves after this book, but I found this one to be pretty weak. It reads a lot like Erikson in basic style, but much, much, much lighter. RobB might come along to further bash it if you don't believe me.

(Not saying it's a bad read necessarily, if you're looking for something light. It was something that normally would be a little too light for me, but I read it right after a big heavy book, so it went down quickly. I have all five books, and will read the second at some time to see how it might improve.)

Quote Originally Posted by Erfael
    RobB might come along to further bash it if you don't believe me.

(Not saying it's a bad read necessarily, if you're looking for something light. It was something that normally would be a little too light for me, but I read it right after a big heavy book, so it went down quickly. I have all five books, and will read the second at some time to see how it might improve.)
    Did someone call? I didn't like Hawkwood's Voyage. I wanted to but I found myself not caring at all what happened in the story or to the characters.

Like many here, I've got a lot of books piled up, and I read them depending on my mood at the moment. Still, here's a possible list (although the order is really unlikely):

"Coyote Rising" by Allen Steele
    "Grass for His Pillow" by Lian Hearn
    "Veniss Underground" by Jeff VanDerMeer
    "The Twins" by our own Gary Wassner
    "The Worst Journey in the World" by Cherry-Garrard
    "The March of Folly" by Barbara Tuchman
    "Siege of Mithila" by Ashok Banker
    "Toast" by Charles Stross
    "Metaplanetary" by Tony Daniels
    "The Mask of Command" by John Keegan

Also, whenever I can get my hands on them I'll be wedging in
    "Anansi Boys" by Neil Gaiman and
    "Judas Unchained" by Peter Hamilton

Quote Originally Posted by Erfael
    Given your reading habits, Brys, I'm not sure you'll like this one. I would only recommend it if you're looking for something really, really light. As I understand, the series improves after this book, but I found this one to be pretty weak. It reads a lot like Erikson in basic style, but much, much, much lighter. RobB might come along to further bash it if you don't believe me.

I know it's pretty different - I think I may want a relatively light book by then, especially as I may be reading a few more history books in between these. I only just finished Ian Kershaw's two volume Hitler biography, so I think after a couple of books I'll be looking for something relatively light again - and Erikson places Kearney quite highly, so I want to give him a try.
    Thanks for warning me though.

Memories of Ice -Erikson

House of Chains-Erikson

Midnight Tides-Erikson

Cry of the Newborn-James Barclay

Feast of Crows-GRRM

Strakken-Brooks

Wicked-Gregory Maguire

Can't remember the titles without going to my bookcase three Lian Hearns starting with Across Nightingale Floor.

Quote Originally Posted by Brys
    .....and Erikson places Kearney quite highly, so I want to give him a try.
    I had no idea he ever even mentioned him. I only made the connection on the general storytelling style. Interesting to see that there may be some actual influence there. I am looking forward to reading the second book, if only to see if it improves or continues to lie there like an old, cold, dead, wet fish.

Oh, and so I'm not JUST spamming opinions into the thread:

I have no idea what the next ten books I read will be. I almost always decide as I finish a previous book, though some strong contenders right now are:

Gatherer of Clouds, Sean Russell, reading now
    The Iron Dragon's Daughter, by Swanwick, fantasy BOTM book for November
    Ringworld, Niven, SF BOTM for November
    something by Jonathan Carroll --just got a bunch of his books and should read one of them soon

Beyond that it could be any one of a hundred or hundred and fifty books I have laying around here waiting to be read.

Quote Originally Posted by estranghero
    Severn: I just finished reading the 1st book of the Orokon and the thing it most reminded me of was Susannah Clarke's Jonathan Strange (but less on the prose). It was fascinating but really slow pacing. Unfortunately, the bookshop doesn't have the 2nd book so am averse at getting the rest. (And I think there are only 5 total.)
    I was fortunate to find most of them at the second hand bookstore in good condition, and bought the other two on special new. Hm, the Jonathan Strange reference is interesting. Haven't read that, hadn't intended to - so we'll see how it goes and if I like Arden's work, I may consider it. I like slow-pacing - five slow-paced books ~drool~ heh.

What's interesting out of this thread is to note how many of us have large, looming bookpiles with reading orders subject to change. I'm hopeless myself - have about 100 at the moment and keep buying them. Can't help myself! It's like some mad addiction. Plus I've just ordered a couple of books from overseas which I'm keen to read, and Feast for Crows will get here eventually too, so that'll change the reading order for sure.

Saturn Comes Back Around Evil Agent's Avatar

Cool thread!

Oooh.. good question.

Hmm... my next 10 are probably something like this:

1. Midnight Tides - Steven Erikson
    2. A Feast for Crows - George R. R. Martin
    3. Shaman's Crossing - Robin Hobb
    4. Tigana - Guy Gavriel Kay
    5. A Song for Arbonne - Guy Gavirel Kay
    6. The Lions of Al-Rassan - Guy Gavriel Kay
    7. Maybe some Elric by Michael Moorcock
    8. Maybe the Book of Amber by Zelazny
    9. Maybe the Coldfire Trilogy by C.S. Friedman
    10. The Magician's Nephew/The Last Battle - C.S. Lewis (the last 2 on my Narnia re-read)

hmm... In no order...

1. Assassin quest, Robin Hobb. (except this one, am reading Royal Assassin)
    2-4. The Tawny man trilogy, Robin Hobb (count as 3 yes...?)
    5. Feast of crows - GRRM - Finally.
    6... The Amber books. They are 10 short ones if I remember rightly.

Regards
    Dori

Quote Originally Posted by halldorvagn
    The Amber books. They are 10 short ones if I remember rightly.
    You do remember rightly, though all together they total to around 1,300 pages.

Speculative Horizons Moderator JamesL's Avatar
    I'm two-thirds of the way through Adrian Mole and the Weapons of Mass Destruction, and my pile of reading material to read after this seems to look as follows:

The whole of A Song of Ice and Fire trilogy - gotta refresh myself as to where we are before the new book comes out. I'm meeting George soon on his visit to Manchester.

Jurassic Park - found this in a charity shop for 50p.

Interview with the Vampire - ditto.

Gardens of the Moon