Page 5 of 48 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob B
    Considering Tad Williams hasn't even finished writing Shadowplay, the book probably won't even be for sale for at least a year.
    So I like to have long-term goals. Also, with my school and work load, I have no idea if I'll even be able to read those ten before Shadowplay comes out.

This is a fun thread, so I'll just post a random 10 books from my TBR pile.

The Briar King - Greg Keyes
    City of Bones - Michael Connelly
    The Killing Kind - John Connolly
    The Gilded Chain - Dave Duncan
    Curse of Chalion - Bujold
    Gone, Baby, Gone - Dennis Lehane
    Millionaires - Brad Meltzler
    Night of Blood - Richard Knaak
    Mistress of Dragons - Margaret Weis
    Heroes Die - Matthew Stover

My to-read pile currently takes up about 5 feet of shelf space, but what did I do the other day? I realized that I was on my own for dinner and I had finished the book I was reading and wouldn't be going home before dinner. So did I spend 25 cents on a newspaper to read during dinner? Of course not! I went and picked up "Scardown" by Elizabeth Bear at Barnes & Noble and started reading that! So my list has also already changed.

I'm interested to know how you like Scardown. The reason Elizabeth Bear's book leapt to the top of my to-read stack is because it's a Book Crossing book (www.bookcrossing.com), so I feel like I need to read it and release it back into the wild soon so others can enjoy it. Otherwise I try not to put new books at the top of my stack as I am so tempted to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Archren
    My to-read pile currently takes up about 5 feet of shelf space, but what did I do the other day? I realized that I was on my own for dinner and I had finished the book I was reading and wouldn't be going home before dinner. So did I spend 25 cents on a newspaper to read during dinner? Of course not! I went and picked up "Scardown" by Elizabeth Bear at Barnes & Noble and started reading that! So my list has also already changed.
    Hahahaha!! That made me laugh

You're a shining example to us all

Oh dear. Oh deary, deary me. I’m not sure I dare post this!

My to-read pile is more like a mountain. Something like 150 or so books, at a rough estimate. I read whatever appeals to me at the moment too, so books can wait minutes after purchase, or months, or rarely even years. And I buy more books whenever I have the money and see one I want, either in a shop or on Amazon. Worse, I have a new job which means I have far more money than before, so I can afford to buy loads more books. I'm still unsure as to whether it's a blessing or a curse that I work in a bookshop and have a 20% staff discount ...

I do feel better when I think about 50 of those books are history books, and of them maybe 30 are not the kind you need to read cover to cover to gain from. Those books I have read parts of, whenever I needed them for research. So maybe that counts as read. Sort of.

My loose goals for reading in the near future involve, in no order at all:
    Tad William's Memory, Sorrow and Thorn. I'm 179 pages into the UK paperback of part 1 of book 3. :cough: Check my registration date; that's how long ago I read book 1, and book 2 followed about a week later.

Erikson's Malazan series: I've read the first two, want to go back and read them again and then read the remaining 3.

George R R Martin: You know, I've never read the entire book 3 ...

Guy Gavriel Kay: Sarantine Mosaic, last light of the sun, Lions of Al Rassan, Tigana - they are all waiting to be read, though I loved the others of his I read.

Diana Gabaldon: I'm just recently done with book 2. I have all of them, including the newest one and the Lord John one, on my shelves.

Jennifer Fallon's Lion of Senet. Recently published here, with the second book due next month, and the third in December. Both of which I shall buy in short order.

Roberta Gellis: Having gone through enormous trouble hunting down the complete set of her medieval books in out of print second hand editions I really should read the 13 or so out of the 19 total I haven't yet ...

Ditto the out of print Elizabeth Chadwicks, all 5 of them.

Mary Stewart's Merlin trilogy, and the loose follow-up about Mordred. Then I can stop feeling guilty about having been given them as a gift from my boyfriend, and not having read them yet.

The 5 J V Jones books I have, being all of them except the Barbed Coil. Which I need to buy and then read.

Marion Zimmer Bradley's Mists of Avalon.

The Bone Doll's Twin. I started it, and found I was not too interested and so put it down to try again in the future when it might grab me.

My history shelves. Just in general. Now. All of them. Before advances in medieval study make all my new books redundant.

The Tawny Man trilogy. The only Robin Hobb books I own and have not yet read, as I am waiting for the newest one in PB.

Crown Duel, by Sherwood Smith.

Kate Elliott's Crown of Stars series, up to The Gathering Storm. I've read book 1, and am waiting for the newest one in PB.

Camelot's Shadow, by Sarah Zettel.

Magician, by Feist.

Dorothy Dunnett's Lymond and Niccolo series, also her book on MacBeth.

I should re-read Narina. I haven’t read it since I was about 12, a decade ago.

Oh, and The Hollow Crown by Helen Hollick.

Inside the Fetterlock, by ... I don't recall and can't be bothered to check.

Ken Follett's Pillars of the Earth.

Plus whatever really interesting books I happen to find/buy/borrow/get given in the meantime, and any which are published.

Then I can look at catching up on the ones which aren't a massively high priority to read, but still sound very good. Which comprise over half my to-read mountain.

I need help! And more time! I can read about 100 pages in an hour, but it's still not enough! :cries: I even read in my lunch break, to gain extra time.

The amazing thing is, despite all this I do seem to have read more than ¾ of the books in my possession! And more borrowed from the library.

Believe it or not, I’m still wandering these forums looking for anything which I might like to read. I have a to-buy list of books over 9 pages long.

Prefers to be anomalous intensityxx's Avatar
    frogbeastegg, you'll find precious little help or rescue for you affliction here. Most of us are similarly infected with the same bug. Some of us have hundreds or thousands of books waiting to be read. Welcome to the asylum! You'll never get out alive

Quote Originally Posted by K.D. May
    I'm interested to know how you like Scardown. The reason Elizabeth Bear's book leapt to the top of my to-read stack is because it's a Book Crossing book (www.bookcrossing.com), so I feel like I need to read it and release it back into the wild soon so others can enjoy it. Otherwise I try not to put new books at the top of my stack as I am so tempted to do.
    I'm really enjoying it, but be aware: this is the second book of a trilogy, and it really can't be read out of order. If you haven't read "Hammered," it really won't make any sense at all, I'm afraid.

That's cool that you actually do the Book Crossing stuff. How does that work out for you?

Saturn Comes Back Around Evil Agent's Avatar

Question

frogbeastegg: The Tawny Man trilogy. The only Robin Hobb books I own and have not yet read, as I am waiting for the newest one in PB
    The last book of the Tawny Man trilogy, Fool's Fate, has been out in PB for a long time.. especially in England.

intensityxx, I shall be careful not to let my poor boyfriend find you called this an affliction, because I always try and pass it off as a talent or something. The poor man has spent the three years he has known me in a state mixed between awe, horror and disbelief whenever he sees my collection. But he still buys me books now and then, even being so smart as to ask which ones I want

He also understands very well that in the event of us buying a house together I want an entire room filled with bookshelving. Or two rooms ...

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Agent
    The last book of the Tawny Man trilogy, Fool's Fate, has been out in PB for a long time.. especially in England.
    You are trying to make my situation worse by making me buy more books. You do live up to your name!

I meant Shaman's Crossing. I own all the other Hobb books and have read them. Please, no one mention the Hobb-as-Lindholm books, which I have so far sucessfully managed to avoid adding to my mountain only by virtue of the fact they are so slender but still full price.

:cough: I brought the entire Tawny Man trilogy when Fool's Fate came out in PB. That's how long its been sat there, waiting. But in my defence, I did buy and read the Farseer and Liveship trilogies about that time too.

Quote Originally Posted by frogbeastegg
    The poor man has spent the three years he has known me in a state mixed between awe, horror and disbelief whenever he sees my collection.
    Welcome...

Can't help but smile at this...my boyfriend is the same. He doesn't understand why I want so many when he knows I can't possibly read them all in 1, even 2, years.

Oh and we're getting our first home next year...we'll be having a library/office...and it will have a little wooden sign that says 'Nerd Room 1' and our bedroom will have 'Nerd Room 2'

Ahem: As predicted, my reading list has officially changed for all who are horribly interested to know. It's official - Ash, then the Sean Russell series, after a contemporary fiction.

K

The Hallowed Hunt by Lois McMaster Bujold
    The reviews I have seen are luke warm so I am not in a hurry to go get it.
    In The Ruins by Kate Elliott
    Based on what I read here, I am waiting for the next book to come out (and it had better be the last) before I get this one.
    Mists of Everness by John C. Wright
    Again, you guys have made me hesitate to run out to get this. I will soon.
    Anansi Boys by Neil Gaiman
    Just came out.

My TBR pile probably stretches to something like a thousand books, which is depressing and thrilling at the same time.

But I'm keen to get onto The Limits of Enchantment by Graham Joyce, Blood of Angels by Michael Marshall, and then King Rat by China Mieville (I've read all his others - stunning - but for some reason, never this one).

www.timlebbon.net

Mine's changed again because I'll be receiving Secret Life, Veniss Underground, and Looking for Jake (I had it on the list already, but hadn't bought it yet) as late birthday presents. They'll take up higher spots in the pile, and push Eddison, Parker, and Wells down a bit.
    Last edited by Murrin; October 22nd, 2005 at 04:59 AM.

books from my to-read-pile are, in no particular order :

- The Child of flame, the Gathering storms and In the ruins by Kate Elliott

- A Cavern of black ice by JV Jones

- A Feast for Crows by GRR Martin (my most anticipated reading )

- The Darkness that comes before by Scott Bakker (but the french version which title is " Autrefois les ténèbres")

- The Deadhouse gate by Steven Erikson ( i must muster all my courage before starting this book because i didn't like the previous one GOTM, but i don't want to give up on Erikson at this point )

- Kushiel's Dart by Jacqueline Carey ( i'm curious about this one, i heard many praises but it doesn't feel like fantasy standards )

- The Broken Crown by Michelle West