Page 15 of 28 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast
    Making his way to Daenerys, hopefully as the interaction between the two would be brilliant. Plus i just want to see my favourite POV in the thick of it again.
    Last edited by Gildor; December 15th, 2005 at 08:55 PM. Reason: Can't spell as im sleepy! BLEH!

But what if Tyrion would band up with Arya?
    I know it's not likely, but GRRM usually doesn't do the most likely thing!

The possibilities are endless yes, he overlapped POV's in Affc'S with Arya and Sam meeting up in Braavos, unluky for Marillion though

Anyone could meet anyone.

Though we still have a new POV to be introduced to, my dark horse is Varys, just imagine how much we would find out

Esse Quam Videri
    i still think there is a "frankenstein" coming.

I just finished reading the postings on this forum. I like what I see here and thought I'd add my 2 cents.

Like some others here, I think that the way Martin chose to break up the large book he was working on was a mistake. I would have preferred the "to be continued..." ending, or even better, I would have been willing to wait another year (gasp!) for a double book to be published that maintained the excellent balance of character and world we have seen in the previous three. The publisher might well have balked at that suggestion, but I think the outcome would have been superior.

I certainly can't find fault with the writing in AFfC. It is excellent. Half of Martin's world is still more interesting than any other fantasy going today.

I found the unrevealed word from Brienne at the end of her story to be a bit of a cheap tease, but I liked her chapters quite a bit, mostly for what they showed of the horrible conditions for the people of Westeros. I was also glad that the Hound appears to be still alive. I loved his beauty and the beast story, that I think may continue in the future (though I doubt that marriage to Sansa is truly an option. I find his character to be much more interesting than her's, so far, anyway. I didn't want to see it end just yet.

Another tease that I felt was nicely done in this case is the faceless man (Jaqen, I guess? I hope so, he is a very interesting character) impersonating Pate. Lots of possibilities there!

I expected to see Rickon appear in this one, and was a bit surprised that he didn't.

Finally, I expect to see two more books after A Dance with Dragons. I think it will take at least that long to finish the story Martin has started. There are so many sub-plots and hints that need development

Does anyone know of a link to a character index? I get a bit lost sometimes with the number of characters and would love to be able to click on a link in sucha an index for information on anyone appearing in these books. Too much to ask, I guess, since someone would have to do a lot of work. There summary pages out there, and i guess i can do a find in them for any character I need info on. Martin's listings by House are good, but a bit more limited and difficult to find the character's quickly than what I'd like to see.

Geoff

I agree about breaking up the book. Still don't understand why he chose to do it that way (even after reading his own explaination).

I didn't miss Rickon though, his chapters were becoming increasingly tedious in my opinion.

As for links, check out the list of links on georgerrmartin.com and also http://www.westeros.org/Citadel/ would probably have what you are looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by MNicole
    As for links, check out the list of links on georgerrmartin.com and also http://www.westeros.org/Citadel/ would probably have what you are looking for.
    Thanks. They clearly intend to do just what I'd like to see. It is not there yet, however. It's under construction.

I've visited the Citadel before, and enjoy reading Martin's responses to his readers.

Geoff

Uh, Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by MNicole
    I didn't miss Rickon though, his chapters were becoming increasingly tedious in my opinion.
    Bran perhaps? Or maybe there's a secret edition with Rickon chapters floating around...

Esse Quam Videri
    what i would really like is a pro-nn-ssee-ysh'n guide for some of the names and places

Well I've already told you that Melisandre is pronounced 'Melisond.' What else do you need help with? Jon? Bran?

(And I'll reiterate - read the freaking thread in its entirety before you mention your frankenstein again yeah?)

~poke snicker, luff you~

Well, I've just finished both AFFC, and then this thread. Only took 1.5 hours to read the damn thing! Sheesh you people are a bunch of conspiracy theorists. It's great!!

Some thinkings:

Brienne: Remember how the chapter before the 'word' chapter she was being chomped by Biter? Imagine if that had been her last chapter - instead of wondering about her mystery word we'd be wondering about if she was dead or not. With that in mind, do you think that there really should be so much importance attached to that word, or could we be blowing it out of proportion? Just a thought - my personal feelings are that the word saves her, whatever it is. Might be too late for poor old Pod though, and I really like him.

Qyburn: Is it possible he's working with Tyrion and Varys? Is it possible Tyrion (as amplexus discussed with me tonight, in a rabid flare of enthusiasm), hasn't left Kings Landing at all? After all, Tyrion's doing something out there, and he's a mastermind. There's no way he's gone off quietly, no way at all. He'd die of boredom.

Melisandre: Remember how she wants to wake a 'stone dragon' - I'm wondering if she might succeed and that dragon might be pitted against Dany's dragons...

Cersei: I wondered if she might be pregnant also, with those very obvious allusions to her growing girth. I can't see the point in a pregnancy though - she's already in trouble, why would a pregnancy increase that? I also can't see any point in her echoing Robert, other than a metaphoric one. But she's already a deranged, ill-ruling creature. Getting fat doesn't make much difference to that!

Jaime: I don't think he's going back to help Cersei. Remember how the maester read the message first? So there's no point in 'concealing' the contents of the message by burning it as someone already knows those contents. I think is a genuine case of Martin not being ambiguous. What other point is there for a maester to say 'I took the liberty, I did not know' if not to suggest that Jaime is burning the message out of disgust and rejection, rather than concealment? Unless he's going to kill the maester or cut out his tongue. Very implausible. He didn't sleep with Pia - he turned her away. Then he gave her to his squire. He makes a point of going on about how faithful he's been, not to mention repeating in his head the list of men Tyrion named as her lovers. Nope, Jaime is hurt, angry and not remotely inclined to be used again. If he does go back I think it would out of a sense of duty to the crown, rather than to rescue his sister/lover.

Martin's writing: If I ever hear the phrase 'the last light of the sun' again it will not be too soon. Guy Gavriel Kay's recent book title has quite been ruined. I never wish to read 'half a hundred,' 'half a heartbeat,' 'nipple,' (5 times during the love scene between Arianne and Arys), or Arya calling something 'stupid' ever again. Not impressed by Mr Martin's horrendous repetition. Those are the worst examples but there are many others. Sadly, quality of writing matters as much as plot and character and world to me. I don't think he's up there with the greats, but the story and the characters and the world carry it.

But all in all a bloody good read and I seriously hope ADWD is out next year.
    Last edited by Severn; December 20th, 2005 at 05:11 AM.

Tyrion's whereabouts

I think Tyrion and Varys are together, but that Qyburn hasn't had the time or opportunity to "set himself up" with Tyrion. If Varys knew him from when he was a maester, I haven't noticed any clue of the bond-- and besides, Varys is a wizard and maesters don't like magic. So I don't suspect anything is connected there.

It seems logical that Tyrion isn't in KL, or else he should have appeared in aFfC. Since Varys was from Myr, I think he took Tyrion there. Lots of hints regarding the Golden Company abandoning Myr on the eve of war with Lys and Tyrosh and heading "east" towards Volantis, away from Westeros. Supposedly, Volantis is the nearest of the Free Cities to old Valyria, and to Dany. Hmm... Also, Varys might have been in cahoots with Doran Martell to bring the Targaryens back, he probably was working with Illyrio and Illyrio knew where Dany and Viserys were (until Drogo).

Also, Tyrion earned the name "Redhands" somewhere along the way. I forget who mentioned that. Maybe he killed someone important in the Golden Company to earn their respect? Anyway, my suspicion is that some of the Free Cities will supply sellswords to Dany to augment her return forces, organized under Tyrion. Tyrion would be an excellent advisor as to the current state of Westeros. Victarion will supply the transport fleet across the narrow sea (possibly). There is even a chance that Arya get swept up in the invasion from the east. I THink GRRM is doing a great job of beginning to bring things together!

As for everyone's favorite dwarf, what a triumph if he returns to KL as a head of the dragon, in order to dispose of his sister! Unless someone else is the Valonquar. Either way, exile is bitter, but revenge is sweet.

Number Ten Ox

Well...a bit late in the game but here goes.

I re-read the whole series in preparation for the Feast. Following up A Storm of Swords was a difficult task and utlimately, the two were simply different books.

Many people have been judging Feast on what it could have been or should have been, not on what it was. I liked getting in Cersei's head, but gods I thought Tyrion had some daddy issues. He's got nothing on his sweet sister.

Following Jaime's character evolution over the past two books has been one of the strengths of the series. Watching him crumble Cersei's letter near the end of Feast was a powerful scene which illustrated the culmination of this evolution. He is almost a man without a country and it will be very intersting to see the paths he takes as the series progresses.

One thing I've learned in reading this series, unless the body is in plain view of a town of people, don't consider any character dead - and I wouldn't be surprised (perhaps disappointed) if Ned actually did return. At no point did I or do I know think the Clegane brothers are dead. Whether or not they eventually clash is another story, and one that may not even happen, but both of their stories are incomplete at this point, despite the Hound and the Mountain being indisposed.

Brienne has to be alive, like all have said, much of this book would be fodder if she were to have died at Cat...er...Stone's hands.

Littlefinger is proving to be perhaps, the most intersting player in the game of thrones.

One thing I've taken as an overriding theme of this particular volume is that of Identity. How many times has Arya changed names or identities. Granted that's been her M.O. throughout the majority of the series, but it came more into the light here. Sansa is now Ariana, the hound is no more, but we all know Sandor lives. Brienne goes by a couple of names and Samwell of course has a couple of nicknames.

In conclusion, I have to say it was an excellent book - not the strongest volume in the saga, but definitely worthy. Now all I want is more.

Quote Originally Posted by Eventine
    Bran perhaps? Or maybe there's a secret edition with Rickon chapters floating around...
    ah...good call Eventine - Bran is definately the tedious one

Littlefinger is proving to be perhaps, the most intersting player in the game of thrones.
    Yes Littlefinger has become an even more interesting character. Its also nice to see that he's taking Sansa under his tutelage. I've always had a soft spot for Sansa. Hopefully she can master the game of thrones, get some good old fashion Edmund Dantes style revenge on the Freys and Cersei (if she has long to live) and then kill Littlefinger for good measure.

I didn't like Sansa very much, at least initially, but that changed to sympathy over books 2 and 3 and now I like her.

There is something kind of strange about Littlefinger's taking Sansa under his wing, but there is also something almost admirable. Almost.