Page 27 of 28 FirstFirst ... 1725262728 LastLast
    I am rereading AFFC and found a very interesting passage in an Asha chapter. Her nuncle is telling her about Archmaester Rigney who believed that history was a wheel. Is this a nod to Robert Jordan, that is one of his middle names after all and the reference to the wheel of time is pretty blatant. Anyway, I thought that was pretty damn cool.

Sorry if someone else mentioned this earlier in the thread. But man, thats awesome if true!

Cheers

Bring on ADWD!!!

Saturn Comes Back Around Evil Agent's Avatar
    I am rereading AFFC and found a very interesting passage in an Asha chapter. Her nuncle is telling her about Archmaester Rigney who believed that history was a wheel. Is this a nod to Robert Jordan, that is one of his middle names after all and the reference to the wheel of time is pretty blatant. Anyway, I thought that was pretty damn cool.

Sorry if someone else mentioned this earlier in the thread. But man, thats awesome if true!
    Yup, definitely a reference to Robert Jordan... and it's not the only one! GRRM also mentions Lord Trebor (Robert, backwards) of House Jordayne of the Tor (as in TOR Publishing) whose sigil is a golden writing quill. Not exactly subtle!

Petyr, in Alayne's last chapter, mentions a time of Three Queens - who're they? The tmie of KIngs seems to be done now, there's more Queens all over the damn place. Is it too obvious for the 'younger' Queen to be Dany, too? When it could be Margery, Asha, Arianne, Myrcella, That Westerling girl - Jayne - with Robb's kid in her belly? I don't know. Heck, even Sansa, she could be Queen the way Petyr schemes - and how can he even know about everything anyway?

I really am upset that Davos isn't dead - no offence to the guy, he seems lovely, and I'm happy he hates The Red Godmodder as much as I do, but, his chapters are just so boring to me. xD

I really hope Sandor is alive - as discussed at length - but I hope he gets over his Religious pennitence or as someone suggested joins the Warrior's Sons so he can go be crazy with Stranger again.

What does everyone think about Arya's cult, then? I kind of having a paradoxical problem with the Faceless Men and how they can possibly ever get anything done when they have to forget who they are, nobody, and hence they'd have no task at all. Perhaps nobody becomes who they are - a base? - but then they are... somebody, some novice, some Priestess... Meh.

I am in agreement, however, as to who the Alchemist is. But why does Sam feel uneasy around Pate?

I'm sorry, I know a lot of this has been covered but there became too much for me to read through.

Update to Sansa

Just read the book again in anticipation of the new book coming out. I'm a little late to the game here, eh? Oh well.

I caught a little nugget as I was rereading. I didn't see any reference to this, but perhaps I missed it.

Cersei gets told that "Dragonstone is yours". In a later chapter, Jaime negotiates the takeover of Riverrun.

Which leads me to this: In the last Sansa chapter, she's wondering about what's going on outside Riverrun. She gets told that Riverrun has yielded but Stannis still holds on to Dragonstone and Storm's End.

So either the timelines are off (which I doubt), Sansa gets incorrect information here (which I also doubt), or the whole Loras/Dragonstone story told to Cersei is completely false.

Just my two cents

What do you mean by "(fake) infidelity"?

Don't you think Littlefinger is a horrible manipulating traitor?

And yeah It would be definitely genious if Sansa ended up with Sandor

Does anyone think Arya and Gendry will meet again?

"Dime Store Rock"
    Quote Originally Posted by Murrin View Post
    I can't think of anything, but I can't believe that he'd really to that. If he has, then as I've said elsewhere the whole storyline in Feast was pointless. It has to go somewhere after this. The effort she put into shouting that one word must mean something.

Okay, so that storyline wouldn't have been entirely pointless - it did tell us what happened to Sandor Clegane. On that subject, did anyone else spot the little trick Martin pulled, and work out what had really happened? Took me a little while (the night after I finished the book), then suddenly hit me.
    Just in case I'm wrong, what did Martin do?

Uh, Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Asimovking View Post
    Just in case I'm wrong, what did Martin do?
    Kill Brienne. Maybe.

"Dime Store Rock"
    This thread has me contemplating an immediate reread. I missed the Sandor and Gregor hints among several other things.

I will start reading ADWD in a few weeks. I have lots to say about this thread but i dont want to risk ADWD spoilers.

So all I'll say is I'm stoked that Sandor is alive. I was glad when the Mountain died, I was rooting for it for a long time. But this thread has made it clear he is alive and I am very excited about Gregornaut/Mountainstein. The MOTHERF**KING MOUNTAINSTEIN THAT RIDES!

I just finished Feast a few days ago, and it's my least favourite book so far, what with excluding four of my favourite characters! But I do have a few theories and suspicions now...

I don't think Cersei's 'valonquar' will be her actual little brother, Tyrion. I believe it will be a little brother, but not her one. I suspect:
    • Bran or Rickon Stark. This is a bit of a stretch, but I think it would be wicked badass of Bran to kill Cersei, especially with him being a cripple and all. But I don't really believe this myself.
    • It could be Sandor Clegane, if he's still alive (and I hope he is).
    • At first I thought it would be awesome/shocking/f***ed up if it turned out to be her own son Tommen, but then realised that wouldn't make sense at all - in many ways, most obviously being that all her children are supposed to die before her.
    • The most likely one (in my opinion anyway) is Aegon Targaryen. There's just something about it that says he might not actually be dead, and there are too many rumours about it for it to not have some kind of substance to it. So I think he will be the valonquar in the prophecy.

I also believe, like a few other people, that Brienne shouted 'Arya', and that Arya's blindness is merely the next step in her training.

I also have to agree with the people who think Jaime met a faux-Jeyne, and the real (and pregnant) Jeyne was hidden away elsewhere. I don't actually remember reading anything about her mum giving her contraception, so can anyone point out where that was again?
    Last edited by stormborn; February 27th, 2012 at 07:40 AM. Reason: add theory

Just finished affc and thought WTF? So I wanted to see what theories the internet held as to who was pate? And I learned so much more reading this thread. One question where is it said that the dragons ate a child?

But I can't help but feel for the original posters who in 2005 thought the next book was maybe a year out. How have you all held up for the most part seven years later?

Also when I read the grrm note at the end about two books and instead of telling half stories for all characters he would tell complete stories for half which is why I think brienne is dead.

I'm gonna wait on dwd for a bit since I probably have seven years until theed next book comes out.
    Last edited by freq019; May 26th, 2012 at 12:46 PM. Reason: damn autocorrect

Saturn Comes Back Around Evil Agent's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by freq019 View Post
    Just finished affc and thought WTF? So I wanted to see what theories the internet held as to who was pate? And I learned so much more reading this thread. One question where is it said that the dragons ate a child?

But I can't help but feel for the original posters who in 2005 thought the next book was maybe a year out. How have you all held up for the most part seven years later?
    I think the dragon eating a child was from a Dany preview chapter (it's from her first chapter in ADWD). Also, I waited 5 years for AFFC, and 6 years for ADWD!

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Agent View Post
    I think the dragon eating a child was from a Dany preview chapter (it's from her first chapter in ADWD). Also, I waited 5 years for AFFC, and 6 years for ADWD!
    Not sure I would be /am willing to dedicate that much time to this series, don't get me wrong it's good but d@mn eleven years!

My policy is now, read it, but not buy it. I bought AFFC back then, but kept the money in ADWD case. If Martin finishes the series and the following books aren't such a disappointment as the last two were, I may deplete my bank account, and buy the books... at that point probably to share them with my grandchildren. Until then, Mr Martin, don't count on my money anymore!

Quote Originally Posted by stormborn View Post
    I don't think Cersei's 'valonquar' will be her actual little brother, Tyrion. I believe it will be a little brother, but not her one. I suspect:
    • Bran or Rickon Stark. This is a bit of a stretch, but I think it would be wicked badass of Bran to kill Cersei, especially with him being a cripple and all. But I don't really believe this myself.
    • It could be Sandor Clegane, if he's still alive (and I hope he is).
    • At first I thought it would be awesome/shocking/f***ed up if it turned out to be her own son Tommen, but then realised that wouldn't make sense at all - in many ways, most obviously being that all her children are supposed to die before her.
    • The most likely one (in my opinion anyway) is Aegon Targaryen. There's just something about it that says he might not actually be dead, and there are too many rumours about it for it to not have some kind of substance to it. So I think he will be the valonquar in the prophecy.
    A very popular theory is that it's a reference to Jaime. They may be twins, but Cersei came out of the womb first and, as she notes somewhere, that would be enough to make her the older son and heir if she'd been a man. That makes Jaime her younger brother, if only just. Valonquar I believe means 'little brother', not 'littlest brother'.

To be honest, I hate the valonquar stuff. It's just totally unnecessary. Cersei hated Tyrion for good enough reasons (from her POV) without us needing a prophecy thrown into the mix.