Page 6 of 28 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
Results 76 to 90 of 412
  1. #76
    Just finished the book.

    I thought it was very good, although not as good as SoS.

    Jaimes chapters are as always extremely interesting. In SoS he thinks about the battle between Arthur Dayne and The Smiling Knight and states (somewhat along the lines of) that he became a knight to be like Arthur Dayne but somehow he became The Smiling Knight instead. While still not the epitome of chivalry, it's clear that he tries to do good.

    Sansas chapters were actually quite good. Littlefinger is THE MAN!

    I agree wrt. The Hound, The Mountain and Brienne. If Brienne should die now, it would ruin so much of the book.

    The Ironmen are simply put just cool, and I liked the way the pov was rotating between Damphair and Victarion.

    I liked the tour to Dorne a lot. Martell knows more than he lets his daughters believe and Hotah was born to kick ass.

    As for Sam, I cannot say I like him and I find his (now only near-)constant whining irritating.

  2. #77
    Just finished 'Feast' yesterday. Though i liked it and was thrilled to finally have some continuation to the story, I have to admit it was a bit of a let down for me. Not discussing the decision to cancel the five years gap, i have the feeling of having read half of a half-book.

    While the separation of the action according to geography didn't bother me that much, i was bothered a lot by the feeling of having read only half a story for the concerned characters. Except the King's landing events, all storylines (Iron Islands, Dorne, The Vale, Samwell, Arya, Brienne) feel like introductions. Nothing much really happens, and the book stops when it might become more thrilling. And even the King's landing storyline manages to end up in a 'cliffhanger' (*) with Cersei's/Margaery's/the kingdom's fate in the balance and to be decided on a short term.

    I was also bothered by the increasing use of prophecies. Too many people seeing too many things to my taste, putting too much overused fantasy recipe in the story to my taste. And i love the series in big part due to the lighter, less 'cliche' fantasy setting. I can only but very very faintly hope that the prophecies will prove to be badly wrong, as things like the seemingly obvious Cersei-will-survive-because-it's-Dany-that-will-remove-her-from-power do take some of my pleasure away...


    Still of course, despite all of that ranting, I still loved the book, and will desperately wait for the ones following. I have a heartbreak though, thinking that the next one will bring nothing new to my favourite setting (King's Landing), and will bring lots of my least favourite PoV (Dany). That means at least two years before knowing what the next balance of power will be...



    (*) this, by the way, reminded me of how i hated the X-files producer when i was younger and an early season ended with Mulder trapped in a bunker full of dead aliens.)

  3. #78
    out of the ashes Cat Snow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    the NW corner of USA
    Posts
    336
    Quote Originally Posted by Surt

    As for Sam, I cannot say I like him and I find his (now only near-)constant whining irritating.

    He should be an easier read in the future, me thinks, now that he's gotten a little action

  4. #79
    Registered User Overlord's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Irvine, Orange County, CA
    Posts
    23
    Quote Originally Posted by Cafard
    While the separation of the action according to geography didn't bother me that much, i was bothered a lot by the feeling of having read only half a story for the concerned characters. Except the King's landing events, all storylines (Iron Islands, Dorne, The Vale, Samwell, Arya, Brienne) feel like introductions. Nothing much really happens, and the book stops when it might become more thrilling. And even the King's landing storyline manages to end up in a 'cliffhanger' (*) with Cersei's/Margaery's/the kingdom's fate in the balance and to be decided on a short term.

    I was also bothered by the increasing use of prophecies. Too many people seeing too many things to my taste, putting too much overused fantasy recipe in the story to my taste. And i love the series in big part due to the lighter, less 'cliche' fantasy setting. I can only but very very faintly hope that the prophecies will prove to be badly wrong, as things like the seemingly obvious Cersei-will-survive-because-it's-Dany-that-will-remove-her-from-power do take some of my pleasure away...
    I have enjoyed the prophecies, particularly the numerous red herrings, but Cersei's prophecy does seem like one too many. I only hope Martin turns our expectations on their collective ears.

    The cliffhangers in Feast for Crows would be less frustrating if we knew that the storylines would be picked up in the next book. Books six and seven look like they're going to be pretty monstrous in length and scope.

  5. #80
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat Snow
    He should be an easier read in the future, me thinks, now that he's gotten a little action
    And my my, wasn't that shocking, drunken rutting in the middle of the ocean, Naughty Naughty Samwell!

  6. #81
    Registered User Overlord's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Irvine, Orange County, CA
    Posts
    23
    Quote Originally Posted by Gildor
    And my my, wasn't that shocking, drunken rutting in the middle of the ocean, Naughty Naughty Samwell!
    What is the penalty for breaking that part of the Night's Watch vow? Death? Whipping? Applause? I don't know if Martin has mentioned it.

    I'm looking forward to Samwell running into his father.

  7. #82
    Registered User Snowdragon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Perth, Western Australia
    Posts
    7

    Brutality & Depravity at expense of story

    I usually fly through these books and sometimes shudder at the excesses but I read this one slowly and found it sensational in its exploitations. I miss the wolves. I'm not a fan of all the new characters and story-lines. Brienne is the most realistically developed this time. I expected more from Sansa- she was getting in her stride towards the end of the third book. I think Martin has got very carried away with all the torture and rape etc. Maybe the influence of the so called "war on terror" has affected his work- our dark planet.

    I thought Brienne yelled out "Jaime" but to what avail unless time has overlapped? If she is dead and becomes another zombie I won't be pleased. But it is not about me- I couldn't develop anything like Martin has- most can't. Maybe the next book will make this long wait worthwhile. I loved the "Ice Dragon" story in "Dragons of Light" hence Snowdragon.

  8. #83
    out of the ashes Cat Snow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    the NW corner of USA
    Posts
    336
    Quote Originally Posted by Gildor
    And my my, wasn't that shocking, drunken rutting in the middle of the ocean, Naughty Naughty Samwell!
    I view him in a whole new light now...

  9. #84
    out of the ashes Cat Snow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    the NW corner of USA
    Posts
    336
    Quote Originally Posted by Overlord
    What is the penalty for breaking that part of the Night's Watch vow? Death? Whipping? Applause? I don't know if Martin has mentioned it.

    I'm looking forward to Samwell running into his father.
    I think the punishment will be up to Lord Snow
    so I'm thinking applause!

    Besides, isn't the "word" that he already got Gilly knocked up to begin with? I doubt it will go much further...

    unless...

    his seed quickens in the womb

  10. #85
    Registered User Overlord's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Irvine, Orange County, CA
    Posts
    23
    Well, my earlier (somewhat addle-pated) theory as to whose head was sent to Dorne is looking more and more suspect.

    As I re-read Game of Thrones, I noticed that within the first fifty or so pages a mention is made of a great stone giant who opens his visor, but only black blood pours out. Maybe Frankenmountain is headless after-all, although that sounds a little weird for Martin (or does it have someone else's head....so many questions!).

    In any event, I hope Martin is correct about Dance of Dragons in 2006. I actually sent him an email saying: "I wanted to be the first to ask you how Dance of Dragons is coming, and when we can expect it to be released", and he responded by telling me that he had sent assassins to find me (paraphrasing). I think I'll request that he sign the email when he comes down here for a book signing...hmm....

  11. #86
    Inter spem metumque iacto Julian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    The Nether Lands
    Posts
    930
    Quote Originally Posted by Overlord
    In any event, I hope Martin is correct about Dance of Dragons in 2006. I actually sent him an email saying: "I wanted to be the first to ask you how Dance of Dragons is coming, and when we can expect it to be released", and he responded by telling me that he had sent assassins to find me (paraphrasing). I think I'll request that he sign the email when he comes down here for a book signing...hmm....
    I think you might do well to give that signing a miss .

  12. #87
    Registered User Overlord's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Irvine, Orange County, CA
    Posts
    23
    Quote Originally Posted by Julian
    I think you might do well to give that signing a miss .
    Hmmmmm.....I'll run away if I see a thin scrap of a girl with dark brown hair pushing a cart of sea-vittles towards me.
    Last edited by Overlord; November 11th, 2005 at 05:35 PM.

  13. #88
    Registered User newleaf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Perth, Australia
    Posts
    46
    First post for me.

    I finished Feast a few days ago. I loved it, but I have to agree with everyone that said "I have the feeling of having read half of a book." I felt like I was missing something whenever the other characters were mentioned. Davos is a good example. I kept thinking I was meant to know what was actually transpiring in White Habor. The other problem is having to wait until after Dance to see what happens with all of the characters in Feast.

    I was satisfied just knowing that my favourite character (Sandor) is still alive. Hopefully his new found piety will only last until Franken-Mountain (heh) makes an appearance. The thought of that confrontation makes me as giddy as a err... serving girl.

    Someone was saying that the description of Taena's secret lover sounded familiar... care to enlighten me?
    Oh! And thanks for pointing out the Alleras/Sarella thing... missed that.
    Last edited by newleaf; November 13th, 2005 at 04:15 PM.

  14. #89
    I noticed in Jaime's chapter, his description of jenye westerling(sp?) is very different from catelyn,s in a storm of swords. She is described as having wide hips by catelyn and narrow hips by Jaime. Was there perhaps a switch and the real jenye in hidden, pregnant with rob's child?

  15. #90
    Registered User Overlord's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Irvine, Orange County, CA
    Posts
    23
    Quote Originally Posted by thehound
    I noticed in Jaime's chapter, his description of jenye westerling(sp?) is very different from catelyn,s in a storm of swords. She is described as having wide hips by catelyn and narrow hips by Jaime. Was there perhaps a switch and the real jenye in hidden, pregnant with rob's child?
    Hmmm.....could she have lost/been forced to lose a baby? A rare Martin slip-up?

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •