Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

The Darkness That Comes Before

So after thinking this was a tough read, I've stared to pick up steam and am plowing through the novel now. Events are really getting good and I'm loving the pace of the book. I've just gotten to Part III: The Harlot and I can't wait to finish this thing!

Unfortunately I've been sneaking in time to read at bedtime while the wife is asleep, then coming into work all tired the next day cause I stayed up too late reading! Damn you Scott Bakker. Damn you.

Ah to be cursed at for how good you are.
    Tha is a luxury to besure!

King of the Lurkers. Moderator Keyoke's Avatar
    Hiya Zee,

Oddly enough, I also just started reading "The Darkness comes Before." I am lagging abit behind ya, still reading the Sorceror's story. I admit, it's a more 'meaty' read than most books, but, I am sure as I continue onwards, I'll adapt to the style of writing. Enjoying it though, and most folks here seems to hold the book in high praise.

Keyoke

I'm sure that I'm quite damned... or will be.

Thank you for the kind sentiment, though!

Quote Originally Posted by Keyoke
    Hiya Zee,

Oddly enough, I also just started reading "The Darkness comes Before." I am lagging abit behind ya, still reading the Sorceror's story. I admit, it's a more 'meaty' read than most books, but, I am sure as I continue onwards, I'll adapt to the style of writing. Enjoying it though, and most folks here seems to hold the book in high praise.

Keyoke

Hey Keyoke...so instead of watching TV last night (for my rare free evening) I decided to keep reading. Read entire "Harlot" part and now am up to "Warrior". The book just keeps getting better. At one point I was reading along, thinking I understood the interaction between 2 characters, then I turned the page and I was like "WTF!!!!??" Lots of great twists and unexpected actions from some characters.

King of the Lurkers. Moderator Keyoke's Avatar
    Yah, still digging my way through it. It's definiitely a thinking book. But, so far so good. I am glad I timed the book the way I did, as the last part of the series comes out in January.

Unless this books take a sudden curve, it'll only get better.

Keyoke

Xerius rules!

durn thinkin' books!! mekkin' me think! less talk, MORE ROCK!

I'm in the last few pages of The Warrior Prophet right now, and the payoff for giving Darkness a really careful, paced read is obvious. I'm enjoying Bakker's writing a lot, and if I could compare his style to something, it would be the way Pavement plays music - seems to kind've wander around a bit, though it is interesting, but you're left wondering, "Where is the hook? You know, the chorus? The fun part that I'll be humming while I'm at work?" And Malkmus, the singer, drones some bizarre words, and the instruments fart around for a bit, and after you've been reading awhile, suddenly, bam, you get it, it becomes catchy, and you realize all the confusion leading up to this point was worth it.

I came across a line last night that literally, and I mean literally literally, made me drop my book on my chest, tense up, and yelp. Yelp is the only work to describe the strange audible I heard myself emit.

Yes, the actions and internal dialogue of a few of the characters can be fruuuuuustrating! In particular, one character's actions where I'm at right now had my blood boiling a little, but I loved the aftermath of said actions, and I'm really, really pumped for TTT.

Furthermore, I really did not think this would be a book I would appreciate for its characterization. In the beginning, it was more about ideas and the general scenery, the thinking and seeing, not the feeling, not empathy or attachment to characters. Not until the Warrior Prophet have I come to really appreciate certain characters, whose names I won't mention, as even that could be construed as a spoiler in a world as harsh as Earwa.

To put it another way, I didn't get a feel for how "epic" the Prince of Nothing trilogy is until just last night.

I'm currently reading through the part where Kellus and Cnauir are traveling together and all I can say is WOW. This section of the book has just got me hooked in.

I also got to the point where they made references to both "the darkness that comes before" and the "prince of nothing".

Can't wait to finish this book!

Where have I been? Moderator JRMurdock's Avatar
    What got me about Scott's book was not the action, but inter-action between characters. The banter, the lies, the decipt, the truth, the mis-leading, the flippant remarks, the betrayal. It's all so craftily interwoven that from one moment to the next you're not sure who the bad guy really is in the whole story.

I'm also on the part with Kellus and Cnauir on their leisurly stroll. Mind blowing stuff man. Mind blowing.

And I'm also reading at the same time, Mike Stackpole's A Secret Atlas and Stephen King's Song of Susanna and for e-books I'm on Spherical Tomi by Jack Mangan and Sapphire of the Fairies by Mr. Tuttle. One day I need to finish one book at a time. Arhg!

Back to the maddness that is my to-read pile.

I'm about 135 pages into 'The Darkness That Comes Before' and will be writing in more detail in the book club thread for December, but really have to say I'm blown away so far. Characterisation, emotion, interaction, imagery, prose, plot...

all superb

I love the intricacy, the cohesion - a rare thing to find these - enough to make a reader swoon into happy bookland. Yes, this is the stuff I like, and don't find so often.

Thank god for SFF world! Or I might not have found this so soon, or been prompted to move it to the top of the reading pile. It's 11pm here - off to the comfy, squeaky chair in the kitchen, with a hot drink, to continue my foray into this wonderful world.

Thank you Mr Bakker, for writing this! (I still haven't quite adjusted to the fact that I can come online and actually say that to an author who has already moved into my favourite's list after 100 or so pages. Pretty damn cool. )

K

I'm also reading it for the SFFWBC. Prologue I and Prolugue II were some of the most beautiful and grotesque pieces of sustained writing I've read in ... well, along time. Extremely impressive. I'm about 100 pages into it and I only started it yesterday evening, which is pretty quick reading for me (particularly given I was distracted by the Australia v Uruguay game) so I must be enjoying it, but I am finding it very hard work. I'm hoping it gets a move along soon and the plot takes over from the exposition, but yeah, damn fine so far. I'll have to bite my tongue and save the rest of my thoughts as I progress for the bookclub discussion.

Nothing quite so beautiful as the grotesque!

I'm glad you're all enjoying the book. Feel free to bombard me with questions and complaints - or any combination thereof.

You betcha!

I loved the way you maintained the tone of a fever dream throughout the prologues. Also, you revealed just enough description of the Sranc and the Nonman to make them truly terrifying. I think at one point a Sranc is described as having a beautiful face, and instantly all these disturbing images of hideous beauty flicked through my mind.

Okay, enough blowing smoke up yer arse.

Finished the book! Awesome, awesome stuff!

I have no idea how the story will expand in the 2nd book, but now I'm so eager to read it, even though I promised myself I'd read those other books that are waiting for me on the shelf.

Maybe i'll wait until the third book comes out so I can have them both and read through them back to back.

I love the crazy 3 way relationship going on with Kellhus, Cnaiur and Serwe.