Hybrid View

The Darkness That Comes Before

So after thinking this was a tough read, I've stared to pick up steam and am plowing through the novel now. Events are really getting good and I'm loving the pace of the book. I've just gotten to Part III: The Harlot and I can't wait to finish this thing!

Unfortunately I've been sneaking in time to read at bedtime while the wife is asleep, then coming into work all tired the next day cause I stayed up too late reading! Damn you Scott Bakker. Damn you.

Ah to be cursed at for how good you are.
    Tha is a luxury to besure!

King of the Lurkers. Moderator Keyoke's Avatar
    Hiya Zee,

Oddly enough, I also just started reading "The Darkness comes Before." I am lagging abit behind ya, still reading the Sorceror's story. I admit, it's a more 'meaty' read than most books, but, I am sure as I continue onwards, I'll adapt to the style of writing. Enjoying it though, and most folks here seems to hold the book in high praise.

Keyoke

I'm sure that I'm quite damned... or will be.

Thank you for the kind sentiment, though!

Quote Originally Posted by Keyoke
    Hiya Zee,

Oddly enough, I also just started reading "The Darkness comes Before." I am lagging abit behind ya, still reading the Sorceror's story. I admit, it's a more 'meaty' read than most books, but, I am sure as I continue onwards, I'll adapt to the style of writing. Enjoying it though, and most folks here seems to hold the book in high praise.

Keyoke

Hey Keyoke...so instead of watching TV last night (for my rare free evening) I decided to keep reading. Read entire "Harlot" part and now am up to "Warrior". The book just keeps getting better. At one point I was reading along, thinking I understood the interaction between 2 characters, then I turned the page and I was like "WTF!!!!??" Lots of great twists and unexpected actions from some characters.

King of the Lurkers. Moderator Keyoke's Avatar
    Yah, still digging my way through it. It's definiitely a thinking book. But, so far so good. I am glad I timed the book the way I did, as the last part of the series comes out in January.

Unless this books take a sudden curve, it'll only get better.

Keyoke

Xerius rules!

Hi all,
    just wanted to find out if the book has any action. I really enjoy his style but I feel it lacks action. To me it reads almost like ASOIAF (I put ASOIAF down after 500 pages). I loved Gardens of the Moon and bought Deadhouse Gates but don't want to read it yet (don't want to get bogged down by one author) so I thought I could read the darkness that comes before. Does the pace pick up? Does it get more action packed, I like fast moving epics like Erikson.

Quote Originally Posted by biodroid View Post
    Hi all,
    just wanted to find out if the book has any action. I really enjoy his style but I feel it lacks action. To me it reads almost like ASOIAF (I put ASOIAF down after 500 pages). I loved Gardens of the Moon and bought Deadhouse Gates but don't want to read it yet (don't want to get bogged down by one author) so I thought I could read the darkness that comes before. Does the pace pick up? Does it get more action packed, I like fast moving epics like Erikson.
    It does. The entire third book is pretty much all the guys kicking asses and taking names.

I like the books ten times more than I like anything I've read by Erikson. Although I do definitely like the guy, and especially his flair for the epic "coming together"-ness, the characters are bland at best (bar one) with unbelievable dialogues and reactions.

Another thing that really appealed to me in Bakker's books were the conflicts and concerns of the characters. They are concerns of humans, with human lusts, peeves, madnesses and so on, and not the concerns of estranged wizards in some very fictional universe somewhere. Immersion is probably the word I'm looking for.

The overall grit in Bakker's world is fantastic as well (in my opinion). The torture, the rape, the occasional paedophelia, the religious hypocrisy and sectarian violence, the large scale WARFARE! And everything detailed so eloquently... amazing to my eyes. Definitely my favorite fantasy author.