Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    I absolutely loved World War Z. If you enjoy it you may also like Day By Day Armageddon. It tells a similar story of the zombie plague from the journal entries of one person.

Omnibus Prime Moderator PeterWilliam's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ink View Post
    I absolutely loved World War Z. If you enjoy it you may also like Day By Day Armageddon. It tells a similar story of the zombie plague from the journal entries of one person.
    Excellent, thank you ink.

Just to be complete ...

The Living Dead ed. by John Joseph Adams
    Zombies: Encounters with the Hungry Dead ed. by John Skipp

The former focuses on stories from the last 30 or so years, and tries to avoid some of the more obvious choices -- Joe Lansdale, for instance, has a few zombie stories, and Adams skipped the most well-known, "On the Far Side of the Cadillac Desert with Dead Folks," in favor of one of the others.

The latter covers some of the more obvious choices, including a story by William Seabrook from the 1920s or 1930s, and Lansdale's "On the Far Side...". He also includes other, newer works to show the directions in which recents zombies have shambled.

Can't say how good these are, since I find zombies about the least interesting monsters in the horror pantheon. However, I did read Dan Simmons' "This Year's Class Picture" from the Adams book, and it's a good story.

Randy M.

weightless astronaut
    Recorded attacks is now out in the States and out on the 29th in the UK.

Quote Originally Posted by xvart View Post
    There is a new book out called Pride and Prejudice and Zombies. It is the full text of Pride and Prejudice with deleted scenes of zombie attacks. I haven't read it but I have heard very positive things about it.

xvart.
    I gave this one a try and had to conclude that, despite the cool idea and the dynamite cover, this was one-joke and dull. I mean, when you find yourself skimming the zombie parts to get back to the Austen parts, there's a problem.

I gave this one a try and had to conclude that, despite the cool idea and the dynamite cover, this was one-joke and dull. I mean, when you find yourself skimming the zombie parts to get back to the Austen parts, there's a problem.
    I didn't find this at all! First of all, the zombies parts were all very short - a few paragraphs each. Why you would have to skim them is unclear. Some people complained about Graham Smith's writing, but I thought it was remarkably close to Austen's. He certainly captured her pacing and tone, although he couldn't come close to matching her wit and turn-of-phrase. I also really liked how he inserted zombie parts mid sentence into some Austen passages, things like "We found pleasure in simple things like garden walks, conversation, and burning corpses."

It was a slog for me to get through the Austen parts, and I can honestly say I couldn't have done it without the action of the zombies. An entire book about 'does he/she like me?' just doesn't do it for me. But a book about 'does he/she like me and will zombies kill my family?', now that was something I wanted to find out.

weightless astronaut
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieem View Post
    Recorded attacks is now out in the States and out on the 29th in the UK.
    I've read it now, and it is excellent, especially as a companion piece to the Zombie survival guide. Fans of World War Z should love it, although it is over very quickly...

I'm now hoping Brooks will work on another novel-length zombie story, but I wouldn't be surprised if he takes a break to work on something else.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy M. View Post
    Just to be complete ...

The Living Dead ed. by John Joseph Adams
    I'll second this. I'm not a huge zombie fan in general (heck, I even found Night of the Living Dead uninteresting), but The Living Dead really was an exceptional anthology.

The Zombie Survival guide was a fun read. I used to bring it camping and read it for a good laugh

Not sure if anyone has posted this

2 things i've read related to zombies in which i though were fantastic would have to be "Zombies: a record of the year of infection" and "The walking dead" Both fantastic. Both original. Both... just freaking awesome! i'm currently reading pride and prejudice and zombies.. if it's good i'll tell ya how it goes

Just read book-published novella And God Created Zombies by Andrew Hook and enjoyed it a lot. Also can't recommend World War Z highly enough, though that one's SF.

http://tinyurl.com/363ogv DurzoBlint's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I read and really enjoyed Patient Zero by Jonathan Maberry. Terrorist using zombies as a biological weapon to be unleashed on the USA on Independence Day. It reads like an action movie. It is also a very fast read. It is part of a planned trilogy which the other premises are in a similar vein.

It isn't a zombie plague starts the end of the world or our current civilization. Just the threat of zombies being unleashed on American soil and our hero out to stop the threat.