Page 3 of 31 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by FicusFan
    Kitty and the Midnight Hour by Carrie Vaughn

Haven't read it yet, but the main charactrer Kitty is a closet werewolf and does a radio talk show for the supernaturally disadvantaged. It has action, suspense, gore and humor. No sex though, so the cover is misleading. Sounds like it is trying to be early Hamilton.
    I've got an ARC of this one waiting to be read. Seems interesting, and there is to my surprise, a blurb/quote from Gene Wolfe on the book.

FWIW, here are a couple of discussions about Butcher's series:
    A series no one has mentioned
    Dresden Files

Here is Hobbit's official Review of Storm Front

In the U.S., Bantam Spectra seems to be doing a lot of it. Warner Orbit in Britain maybe. But all the lists will have some. Actually, they always did have some; it's just now that these titles are sometimes lead slots and there are some more of them, and they're getting more attention from fans. Supernatural fantasy seems to have replaced New Weird as the hot trend for the moment, but who knows about tomorrow.

Some others: Alexander C. Irvine's "The Narrows" WWII; James Reese's "The Book of Shadows" and "The Book of Spirits" set in pre-Civil War America; Shirley Damsgaard's "Witch Way to Murder" -- a supernatural murder mystery described as a cozy, so it probably has a fair bit of humor to it.

The Kitty book is coming out from Warner Aspect in the States. I'm really curious to know how long Aspect is putting out its inventory, since they were dissolved.
    Last edited by KatG; November 11th, 2005 at 09:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by KatG
    The Kitty book is coming out from Warner Aspect in the States. I'm really curious to know how long Aspect is putting out its inventory, since they were dissolved.
    No the book just says Warner Books on the spine with the "W", not the Aspect name or logo.

Interesting. I'm still getting a newsletter for "Aspect" but they had dissolved it, moving all sff into their main list supposedly. Which backs up the book cover. I wonder how much sff Warner is now doing with it as part of its list, compared to when it had Aspect up and fully running, not just producing inventory. But here, you see, even a "dying" imprint is putting out some supernatural fantasy.

Penguin is a pain in the butt -- they have no U.S. newsletter and their giant website is a disaster. If anyone knows what Roc and the other sff imprints in that house are up to, weigh in on the supernatural fantasy seeming titles. But right now, Bantam Spectra seems in the lead in the U.S., as they are in most genre areas.

Wm. (William) Mark Simmons wrote a series that kind of reminded me of the Dresden Files. Although not as good as the Dresden Files they are still enjoyable. They definitely kept my attention unlike the James Clemens(?) Shadowfall book (don't care for the 13 year old girl or the 30 something woman, and eventually the main character lost my attention as well).
    The first book is One Foot in the Grave, the second is Dead on My Feet, and the latest is Habeas Corpses. i believe the series is called The Halflife Chronicles.
    I liked them so I was able to finish one per day. I would give them about 4-4 1/2 stars out of 5 stars.

I actually started and finished Kitty and the Midnight Hour by Carrie Vaughn. It is a very quick and light read. It was OK but definitely Anita-lite, and trying very much for the early mix of action, sexual tension, and the balance between real life and the supernatural, complete with consulting with the police on related crimes.

My friend who told me about the book, and who knows the writer says the cover doesn't match the book. She contends that the book isn't 'sexy', and she is right but not for the reason she thinks. The author either isn't capable of writing 'sexy' or the sex/violence ethos of the books isn't her cup of tea. There are several sex scenes but they are presented like they were ham sandwiches being slapped down on the table.

The main character is weak, whinny, reactive, submissive and eager to please. She may also be more realistic than Anita, but she is a lot less fun and interesting. I didn't really care what happened to her. She did slowly change, but it was too late the inital impression stuck.

Much of the setting of the book, the real world with the additions of magical beings, with the society of the vampires, and the wolf pack has been done before and better. About the only thing new here is the idea of a supernatural talk radio host dispensing pop psychology for troubled magical beasties and baddies. That was kind of cool. I was told there was humor in the book, but I didn't see it.

A couple of the minor characters were insteresting, but the bad guys and the main killer in the mystery were apparent right from the start.

The author can certainly fix some of her problems in the next book, but if she can't do anything new or different with her story/setting/characters there really isn't much reason. Right now it is a bland copy of someone else's original.

FWIW, I posted my official review of Kitty and the Midnight Hour HERE

I may have been easier on it than Ficus for a couple of reasons. Firstly, I haven't read as many books in this branch of Fantasy as Ficus. Second, I didn't expect to enjoy it nearly as much as I did. The humor may have been slightly forced, and I thought Kitty was very submissive, but I think she was that way because of here status in the pack.

Regarding the Aspect logo or whatever, I've got the Advance Reading Copy and the Aspect name and logo are on the spine.

I received Butcher's Storm Front from Clarkesworld a week ago. I'd already wanted to read it, but Hobbit's nice review has me more eager to read it now.

Gentleman and Scholar Wulfa_Jones's Avatar
    "Ghosts of Albion: Accursed" by Amber Benson & Christopher Golden

I did start watching these on the BBC website (last year?). I liked the idea quite alot, but the flash animated cartoon was rather annoying - very poor visuals! The site still exists and has a novella and some short stories on it. Might start giving them a read in my lunch break tomorrow.

Still reading and loving the Dresden Files. The world is developing nicely.

Prefers to be anomalous intensityxx's Avatar
    I went to my shelves and found a few that I didn't see mentioned in this thread:

(Is the series about The Violets sf? I think I read that it is)

The Hummingbird Wizard, by Meredith Blevins - Gypsy Shamus magic

The Autumn Castle, by Kim Wilkins - witch, shape-shifter in modern Berlin

Hunter's Moon, C.J. Adams & Cathy Clamp - werewolf

Urban Shaman, C.E. Murphy - um, an urban shaman

The Dark-Hunter Novels, by Sherrilyn Kenyon (romance or vampire fantasy?)

Well, I'm about 1/3 of the way into Storm Front by Mr. Butcher and I am enjoying it, Harry is an interesting character. The story and the interaction of magic in the world are well handled and leaving me wanting more. The only minor complaint is how Harry describes everything he sees in such detail. On the other hand, this allows the reader to better "see what Harry sees," I suppose.

Regardless, I'm seeing more than enough in the story that I enjoy, so I'll be picking up the subesequent books.

Did anyone mention Charlie Huston's "Already Dead," and "Caught Stealing"? --- vampires, zombies, etc.

Also, Mike Carey, of comics fame, is coming out with a supernatural thriller, "The Devil You Know," with Warner Orbit in Britain.

They're popping up like mushrooms.

Quote Originally Posted by KatG
    Did anyone mention Charlie Huston's "Already Dead,"
    I received a review copy of this last week. I was going to pop in here just as soon as I read it, the story sounds interesting enough.

I did read it. Here is what I posted in the December 2005 thread:

I just finished Already Dead. It is a quick read. I liked it.

The main character was well done and interesting. The set up of the different and conflicting vampire clans and societies has a ring of reality -- in terms of how groups in conflict act. The people in the groups were interesting types - though none of the other characters were really as well developed as the main character.

The writing was pretty smooth though a bit choppy in a few places. All the dialog was done without quotes or a lot of attribution. It all started with a --- (dash), so you had to pay attention.

The beasties and how they worked and who and what they were was done well. Not too much detail, and some stuff just glimpsed.

The mystery was convoluted and well done. The setting of the underbelly of Manhatten was interesting. The only part that I didn't enjoy was the over the top hippy and over the top PC in some characters.

I think this would be a good start for a series.
    Trying not to give anything away.

Gentleman and Scholar Wulfa_Jones's Avatar
    I was in my local Boarders the other day, I noticed that Laurell K. Hamilton's books appeared in the Horror section while Jim Butcher's Dresden Files appeared in the Sci-Fi/Fantasy sections.

While I've never read any of Hamilton's work (there is quite a bit of it considering) as it looks like it's aimed towards a more female readership, from what I've heard it's not much different from Dresden. Based on my Amazon purchases they pushed quite a few books within this genre in my direction and all of them bar Dresden appear in bookshops under the Horror section.

Also, does any one think it slightly vain (for lack of a better word) of me not to buy the hardback of Dead Beat (the most recent Dresden file) because I don't like the old covers? The new UK releases now appear in a case folder style cover rather than the art work (which put me off buying the books at the start of the year.

Also I don't think it's a really a hard back book - I mean I'm glad that they are doing well enough for the publishers to chance hardback but they really are paperbacks.