Page 30 of 30 FirstFirst ... 20282930
    Reading Jenn Bennett's debut, Kindling the Moon. She has an entertaining prose style, and the story has been fast-paced and full of luminous imagery so far.

The protagonist, Arcadia Bell, lives in a world of demons and magicians. She's a magician, but possibly something more. She's been on the run for seven years.

Seven years ago, a number of people were murdered. The police think Arcadia and her parents were responsible -- the police think they're serial killers. But they cast a spell that made everyone think they had died. Arcadia's parents left the country, and she hasn't heard from them in years.

Arcadia has changed her name and now she runs a demon-friendly tiki bar, where the clientele play drinking games centered around paranormal-investigation tv shows. One night when the crowd is gathered to watch, the show is interrupted by a news bulletin: the police have arrested Arcadia's parents. The police thought they were dead, and now the police are wondering if their daughter is alive as well.

But this kicks off a number of mysteries. Why did her parents return? Why now? She's trying to learn what she can, and maybe unravel the secrets of her past, while the police and supernatural organizations are trying to find her.

It's a superfun read so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister View Post
    Reading Jenn Bennett's debut, Kindling the Moon. She has an entertaining prose style, and the story has been fast-paced and full of luminous imagery so far.

The protagonist, Arcadia Bell, lives in a world of demons and magicians. She's a magician, but possibly something more. She's been on the run for seven years.

Seven years ago, a number of people were murdered. The police think Arcadia and her parents were responsible -- the police think they're serial killers. But they cast a spell that made everyone think they had died. Arcadia's parents left the country, and she hasn't heard from them in years.

Arcadia has changed her name and now she runs a demon-friendly tiki bar, where the clientele play drinking games centered around paranormal-investigation tv shows. One night when the crowd is gathered to watch, the show is interrupted by a news bulletin: the police have arrested Arcadia's parents. The police thought they were dead, and now the police are wondering if their daughter is alive as well.

But this kicks off a number of mysteries. Why did her parents return? Why now? She's trying to learn what she can, and maybe unravel the secrets of her past, while the police and supernatural organizations are trying to find her.

It's a superfun read so far.
    I had this in my wishlist but completely forgot about it, so will be interested in see how it went once you finish it.

Those of you who have taken up the work of Steven R. Boyett know that he wowed all with his first novel, Ariel, in the 1980's, did a bit more in novels and short fiction and then largely disappeared into the worlds of computers and music, occasionally popping up with a short work or collection like Sasquatch sightings.

But that doesn't mean the man wasn't writing and in 2009, he brought us the poignant, bestselling Elegy Beach, the generational sequel to Ariel. And he worked some more on a novel he's rewritten 30 times and now we have that one too: Mortality Bridge, coming out this Sunday. It's a view of the tale of Orpheus in a different way:

Decades ago a young rock and blues guitarist and junkie named Niko signed in blood on the dotted line and in return became the stuff of music legend. But when the love of his damned life grows mortally and mysteriously ill he realizes he's lost more than he bargained for--and that wasn t part of the Deal.

So Niko sets out on a harrowing journey from the streets of Los Angeles through the downtown subway tunnels and across the redlit plain of the most vividly realized Hell since Dante, to play the gig of his mortgaged life and win back the purloined soul of his lost love.

Mortality Bridge remixes Orpheus, Dante, Faust, the Crossroads legend, and more in a beautiful, brutal--and surprisingly funny--quest across a Hieronymous Bosch landscape of myth, music, and mayhem; and across an inner terrain of addiction, damnation, and redemption.

And the early reviews (the release date got pushed up so they're coming in more slowly,) have been excellent.

It is, however, coming out from Subterranean Press and they're doing one of their quality signed limited edition thingies. There's no e-book yet. If you're in the States, you can get it cheaper on Amazon. But I'm hoping there's going to be a wider offering down the road because I don't want a Boyett book doing any Sasquatch hiding. Those of you who undertake reviews and get early copies might want to take a gander.

NECRO THREAD....

I know there are quite a few threads in our forums dedicated to this subgenre but since I created this specific thread and there are quite a few good recommendations in it I figured I'd add to it.

I'll drop one name in her Chuck Wendig because his latest book The Blue Blazes published recently, I reviewed it and I absolutely loved it. "think one part Hellboy, one part Mathew Stover, one part Big Trouble in Little China, and throw in a dash of The Sopranos, the film The Wrestler and pulp sensibilities, and you might have an idea of what a great stew of fun this novel really is."

Chuck's been writing away for years, but over the past couple of years his work is seeing the light of day, mainly through the fine folks at Angry Robot Books who published The Blue Blazes as well as his Miriam Black novels Mockingbird and Blackbirds. Chuck is extremely active on twitter and has one of the best writing blogs out there: Terrible Minds. He's the type of writer you read once and you want to devour everything from him.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob B View Post
    NECRO THREAD....

I know there are quite a few threads in our forums dedicated to this subgenre but since I created this specific thread and there are quite a few good recommendations in it I figured I'd add to it.

I'll drop one name in her Chuck Wendig because his latest book The Blue Blazes published recently, I reviewed it and I absolutely loved it. "think one part Hellboy, one part Mathew Stover, one part Big Trouble in Little China, and throw in a dash of The Sopranos, the film The Wrestler and pulp sensibilities, and you might have an idea of what a great stew of fun this novel really is."

Chuck's been writing away for years, but over the past couple of years his work is seeing the light of day, mainly through the fine folks at Angry Robot Books who published The Blue Blazes as well as his Miriam Black novels Mockingbird and Blackbirds. Chuck is extremely active on twitter and has one of the best writing blogs out there: Terrible Minds. He's the type of writer you read once and you want to devour everything from him.
    I second that. I just read Blackbirds. Now I have to read Mockingbird.