Page 5 of 31 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    KatG - The only news I've seen about the Charlaine Harris/HBO Sookie series is the original press release on her website. Link:http://www.charlaineharris.com/

Seems this genre is being overrun by the romance writers.
    I've read a few:

Moon Called by Patricia Briggs which I really liked.

Forbidden Magic by Cheyenne McCray which started well, but the author throws in sex scenes which make little sense and don't seem to belong in the story.

I was really overwhelmed by all the books popping up in this genre.

Quote Originally Posted by KatG
    Keri Arthur Full Moon Rising (U.S.: Bantam Spectra)
    Juzzza had a very bad experience with this book.

Tate Hallaway (aka Lyda Morehouse) recently released what seems to be a chic-lit vampire novel: Tall, Dark & Dead

Another one that caught my eye was Nightlife by Rob Thurman.
    In New York, there's a troll under the Brooklyn Bridge, a boggle in Central Park, and a beautiful vampire in a penthouse on the Upper East Side. Of course, most humans are oblivious to this, but Cal Leandros is only half-human. His father's dark lineage is the stuff of nightmares-and he and his entire otherworldly race are after Cal.

He and his half-brother Niko have managed to stay a step ahead for three years, but now Cal's dad has found them again. And Cal is about to learn why they want him, why they've always wanted him...for he is
    Carrie Vaughn has another Kitty book - Kitty goes to Washington.

I've read a few of these types of books that I haven't see any mention of yet.

'Wilding Nights' by Lee Killough is a detective story in which some of the characters are werewolves. I thought it was okay despite the fact that the characters often make rather strange leaps of logic during their investigation.

'Shadows in the Darkness' and it's sequel 'Shadows in the Starlight' are both by Elaine Cunningham (who seems to be more widely known for writing Forgotten Realms books). The main character is a private detective and former veteran of the vice squad who specializes in finding runaways. She also happens to be an elf, which in this story means she has odd psychic abilities and looks very young (she often goes undercover as a teenager).

Despite the odd concept I thought these two were fairly good. I did get the impression that the author was writing slightly out of her comfort zone at times but I don't think this hurt the books.
    Last edited by avoidant; June 9th, 2006 at 12:26 PM.

Urban Fantasy

Patricka Briggs's Mooncalled was incredible. I also loved Lilith Saintcrow's Working for the Devil. I liked Kitty and the Midnight Hour but maybe not quite as much. I've read a few "paranormal romance" authors who I think belong on the Fantasy shelf though. Lori Handleland and Elaine Wilkes are both pretty fabulous if you like werewolf books, though their wolves couldn't be more different. I love this subgenre and I hope they keep putting out good ones.

I picked up a couple of new books:

Touch the Dark by Karen Chance, PB

Main character can see the future and communicate with spirits, makes her attractive to the dead and the un-dead. complications with vampires ensue.

And I don't know if Tanya Huff's latest series has been mentioned. She has The Keepers series, about modern humans who deal with magical toxic waste spills into the realworld.

There is the Vicky Nelson Blood series, about a modern PI who hooks up with a vampire who is the bastard of King Henry VIII. It has 5 books and has ended, but she has started a new series that features the same vampire and a minor character from the previous books.

It looks like it is going to be called the Smoke series. The books are Smoke and Shadows, and now Smoke and Mirrors has just gone into PB. I recently picked it up. The next book Smoke and Ashes is going to be in HC soon. The new series is set in Vancouver and Tony the minor character has become a TV production assistant and discovers he is a fledgling wizard.

Quote Originally Posted by Wulfa_Jones
    Also, does any one think it slightly vain (for lack of a better word) of me not to buy the hardback of Dead Beat (the most recent Dresden file) because I don't like the old covers? The new UK releases now appear in a case folder style cover rather than the art work (which put me off buying the books at the start of the year).
    Naw, I only buy books that match, and that I like the covers of. I am buying new Kelley Armstrong books (that I've already read and own) because I like the newer covers and I want them all to match.

I own very few hardcover books. They have to be superfantastic for me to shell out that much money for them.

I don't have very many authors to add to this genre, as most of them have been covered.

I noticed that someone had said that the Kelley Armstrong "Otherworld" books stand alone, and this isn't really true. They build on each other, although they change persective. Bitten and Stolen are from Elena's point of view, Dime Store Magic and Industrial Magic are from Paige's point of view, Haunted is from Eve's point of view, and Broken takes us back to Elena. If you just pick up Haunted, you aren't going to get the back story that you might require. You will most likely like the book, but you won't "get" all of it.

Also, the Vampire Huntress Series by L.A. Banks shouldn't be bought at first. I bought the first one, and I love the story, but I ABSOLUTELY HATE the fact that they talk in slang the entire time. I understand that the author is writing in a "real" kind of way, but I don't watch TV that uses excessive slang, or watch much for movies with excessive slang. I hate hate hate slang/ebonics. It drives me crazy. I would love to read the rest of this series as the story was ver interesting... but I am not sure that I want to wade through the language (I found myself translating in my head).

I will recommend Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman to fit into this catagory.

Lynsay Sands and her Argeneau series (Single White Vampire, A Quick Bite, Tall, Dark and Hungry) is a great chick-lit vampire romance series. Entertaining to the core, and are great quick reads... definite "beach books".

A Great and Terrible Beauty by Libba Bray (this is not entirely a modern world, but more of the time of the Colonies of England) is pretty good, although the point of view is kind of hard to read (it is written in the present tense). It's found under YA, but it still pretty good. It may not appeal to some of the more masculine readers out there, as it is somewhat of a young woman's coming-of-age story, but is still rather interesting.

I personally really liked Sunshine, but as we all know... to each their own!

If you are looking for a slightly darker series (could be labeled horror or modern fantasy) Wither by Passarella is quite good (Wither, Wither's Rain, Wither's Legacy).

This turned out to be much longer than I had anticipated... so I'll wander off now!

Ran into another one that looked good -- Casey Daniels' "Don of the Dead," which is the first in the Pepper Martin supernatural fantasy mystery series. Pepper hits her head in a cemetary, then can talk to ghosts, has to deal with a dead crimelord. I think we'll probably be seeing a fair amount of psychic and ghost stuff as the wave expands.

I know it seems awfully sudden, the increase in titles, but the groundwork for supernatural fantasy was being laid for about ten years, and sff publishers and romance publishers have been seriously gearing up for doing it broadstream for the last five years.

"Neverwhere" by Neil Gaiman doesn't really count as supernatural fantasy for me, because its elements are more mythic than supernatural, but it's a great contemporary fantasy, and probably of interest. In that same vein, I ran into a contemporary series by Peter David, which is not supernatural per se, as it's about King Arthur stuff, but looked fun: One Knight Only and Knight Life. (Despite the titles, looked like they were dramedies, not straight comic fantasy.)
    Last edited by KatG; July 2nd, 2006 at 02:12 PM.

The Dreden Files are excellent give them a go......harry is awesome and so ids the series

The Dresden files are good, althought the latest "Proven Guilty" is just a bit predictable. (I'm two thirds through and saw the ending about the third chapter or so.)

I want to be a princess sic's mom's Avatar
    Beware: Some Spoilers

Okay, I tried to read Laurell K Hamilton's newest Anita book. I really did. But couldn't get to far into it. She is worried she is pregnant by one of her many, many lovers. Partly because of some unsafe sex. And then what does she do? Goes out and does it again. I know it isn't because she wants to all of the time, but lets face it, it is part of the time. I just couldn't finish it. Glad I borrowed it from a friend. I used to love this series, but I have gotten to the point I don't care if she ever finishes it. I could deal with the erotica if she would move the storyline along, but it goes nowhere fast.
    Now today I went out and bought a few of the Kelley Armstrong books. I am hoping I will find another series that I can read. I love Butcher and Harrison's witch series, so I am hoping to find another like them that I can get into. I just can't take Hamilton anymore. And the sad thing is everyone I know that has read the series feels the way I do. I hope she realizes this, maybe someday she will get back on track.

Laurell K. Hamilton - and the Destruction of Anita Blake

You know I have the HC, bought it as soon as it came out. But I have yet to read it, because I know it is all about sex, and not about plot. Normally I read it the day it comes out, and even stay up all night to finish it. Not this time.

One of the these days I will be able to stop buying them, but am not there yet. Sad, very,very sad.

Butcher is good, though going the LKH route with action instead of sex. For me Harrison is the best of the Anita-wannabes, but her next book is coming out in HC.

Well you guys stuck it out a lot longer than I did, I began to have my doubts after book #8.

Quote Originally Posted by sic's mom
    Now today I went out and bought a few of the Kelley Armstrong books.
    I've read a couple of her books, Dime Store Magic and Industrial Magic. I thought they were good. I also have Stolen on my TBR pile.

T.A. Pratt (aka Tim Pratt) has a new series in this vein - Marla Mason. A short story set in this world is in The Solaris Book of New Fantasy edited by George Mann. I liked the story, it had a Lovecraftian feel to it and I may pick up the first book Blood Engines. Has anybody read Blood Engines (I'm looking at you FicusFan )

Thanks, Rob. They look interesting and I like the sound of "Lovecraftian".

In the same genre, sorta, I've started reading Liz Williams' Detective Inspector Chen novels. I've just read the first one, The Snake Agent, and I've ordered the second, The Demon and the City. There a mix of crime novel, urban fantasy, science fiction and comedy, set in a near-future China where Eastern mythology is real. I've read Williams before but I think this is her best work. It's not as dark as her other work, but dark enough to balance the whimsy. Loads of fun.

I want to be a princess sic's mom's Avatar
    Someone mentioned Patricia Brigg's Moon Called. I have to say I love the three books she has out in this series now. Number three just came out and went through it pretty fast. Called Iron Kissed and is mostly about the fae. I read that she has a fantasy series out. Has anyone read this and what did you think about it? If it is any good I just might have to look it up.