Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Baldur's Gate 2

Baldur's Gate 2

has anyone played Baldur's Gate 2 or even Baldurs Gate?
    i really love being the sorcerer and stoping time hehehehe and then killing everyone hehehehehe

Cadfael
    Have I played it?? My God I have lived it!!!

I have BG2, but I am still girding my loins for the final battle with Savorok in BG1. I am one area away, and to be quite honest I am terrified.

This IMO is the best RPG to be introduced for a long time. I understand a version for the Playstation is due for release this month.

Just now I'm really dissapointed as I can't find the 2nd CD in order to install it on my new PC..... looks like i might have to buy a new copy just for one disk.... Oh well

Anyway, I love the game and IMHO it's the best MMORPG out there (for PC).... I don't suppose blizzard are thinking of making another one?

What sort of characters did you make? I used to enjoy mages and warriors...... I kinda disliked theives though, mainly as they're so weak, although very useful from time to time

I think the cities, towns, and characters are all fantastic, and the game as a whole really has a Fantasy feel to it. Almost like you're playing a book
    Last edited by Monty Mike; January 30th, 2005 at 08:25 AM.

Masculinity and Names
    Neverwinter Nights kicks BG's Ass

Speculative Horizons Moderator JamesL's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AshleyBoy
    Neverwinter Nights kicks BG's Ass
    The two cannot really be compared given that both use totally different engines and, despite being made by the same developers, are both very different games.

I just bouhgt a copy of Neverwinter Nights, and although I'm not very far into it, I deffinately prefer Baldur's Gate II, which was, for me, perfect in every way

Copies are soooo hard to find though..... even online.........

Quote Originally Posted by monty_mike
    I just bouhgt a copy of Neverwinter Nights, and although I'm not very far into it, I deffinately prefer Baldur's Gate II, which was, for me, perfect in every way

Copies are soooo hard to find though..... even online.........
    I have the limited edition of Baldur's Gate 2. Came with a bonus cd (which includes a new shopkeeper selling stuff from the Icewind dale games), BG2 playing cards, a t-shirt and a poster.

Wonder how much it would be worth on ebay....

Quote Originally Posted by JamesL
    I have the limited edition of Baldur's Gate 2. Came with a bonus cd (which includes a new shopkeeper selling stuff from the Icewind dale games), BG2 playing cards, a t-shirt and a poster.

Wonder how much it would be worth on ebay....
    wow! I had no idea there were BG2 playing cards! Is it still possible to buy them anywhere? Do you have any photos of them you could show me?

sorry, I just realised I love BG2 more than I thought..... plus it's been a while since I've talked about it

Quote Originally Posted by monty_mike
    wow! I had no idea there were BG2 playing cards! Is it still possible to buy them anywhere? Do you have any photos of them you could show me?

sorry, I just realised I love BG2 more than I thought..... plus it's been a while since I've talked about it
    I'm afraid not, on either accounts.
    You'd have to be amazingly lucky to find the Limited Edition (of which there were only 50,000 made worldwide).

My brother got it too; he got exactly the same cards as me so i think they only did a few different ones....

I can't show you the cards (they're about 150 miles away) but they were very similar to Magic the Gathering cards if you're familiar with them.

I'm afraid not, on either accounts.
    You'd have to be amazingly lucky to find the Limited Edition (of which there were only 50,000 made worldwide).

My brother got it too; he got exactly the same cards as me so i think they only did a few different ones....

I can't show you the cards (they're about 150 miles away) but they were very similar to Magic the Gathering cards if you're familiar with them.
    150 miles away?! If there were only 50,000 made worldwide I suspect they will be worth quite a lot I think I'll do a search for them later, perhaps some images will come up in google, who knows.....

The two cannot really be compared given that both use totally different engines and, despite being made by the same developers, are both very different games.
    True. NWN's single player campaign is inferior to either BG or BGII, but where it shines is the extensive user-created content (someone check out the Paladin trilogy or the Dreamcatcher/Shadowlords series-- those are better than the OC!) and especially the online community.

Quote Originally Posted by Shehzad
    True. NWN's single player campaign is inferior to either BG or BGII, but where it shines is the extensive user-created content (someone check out the Paladin trilogy or the Dreamcatcher/Shadowlords series-- those are better than the OC!) and especially the online community.
    How big is the online community? How does the game play online? Do you simply play the game through with other players at your side, or is it different?

The online community is pretty big and very accepting. Its not quite a MMORPG, but its close. Essentially, you can play online through either the original content or many user-created modules with other players, OR, even better, can participate in one of numerous "persistent worlds" which are servers running 24/7 with an evolving storyline and a definite campaign theme. Some are focused on hack-n-slash, some are more roleplay-oriented while others are a mix between the two, while others are player vs player combat. It's almost like a good old-fashioned pen & paper D&D campaign, sitting down and having a DM-run event with 10 other players.

Many of these servers feature custom content, massive worlds unlike anything seen in the shipped game, some even have rule modifications like a modified death system or restrictions on classes etc, all of which are governed through downloading add-ons to the game which allows you to log on to the particular server.

Once you go online, the game becomes practically endless....

I don't suppose a BG3 is going to be made? I'd love that. Also a Diablo 3 would be cool (although I think Blizzard are already gathering a team to make it).

BG3 is not likely to be made since Black Isle (who developed BG1 & 2) have been closed down. Diablo 3 is in the works.

I wonder what Bioware has planned for NWN2 though...