Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Baldur's Gate 2

Black Isle were closed down? I never new that, damn

And a NWN2? Hhmmm.... sounds promising.....

----------

found a link with some stuff on it:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/computer/dos...ta/922154.html
    Last edited by Monty Mike; February 16th, 2005 at 05:40 PM.

You might want to try here:

http://nwn2forums.bioware.com/forums/

thanks for the link, shehz, I'll check it out later

Speculative Horizons Moderator JamesL's Avatar
    Yes, it was a shame that Black Isle were closed down. Nonetheless, I think the Baldur's Gate series using the Infinity engine had run its course. I mean not only did you have both BG games (including Tales of the Sword Coast add-on for BG 1 and Throne of Bhaal for BG 2) but you also had both Icewind Dale games. I think they pushed the engine as far as it could go; 3D (Neverwinter Nights) was becoming the vogue. Also, the story for BG was concluded in Throne of Bhaal. I think it was a good place to end the series.

As for Diablo 3, sounds interesting. I'd not heard that Blizzard were making a follow-up but I did know that Blizzard North were apparently working on a new title. Rumours suggest that it is Starcraft 2. Diablo 3 would be nice though; Diablo 2 is an awesome game.

Masculinity and Names
    you know, i never really liked diablo... i could never get into it.. there were so many games like it out at the time... it was all too familiar.
    Starcraft, however, was a must have game!
    i still play it to this day (though admitedly, not with as much enthusiasm)
    if Starcraft2 is really on the cards, then i can't wait.
    As for Baldurs gate VS NeverwinterNights. well... as i have said, i much prefer neverwinter nights...especially if you have the community expansion pack..which allows for so much more when creating your own mods. However.. the storyline for Baldurs gate was far superior!
    end of rant!

Seeker of Stuff Moderator Kamakhya's Avatar
    Oh man...I loved Baldur's Gate II. I know I have the crappy gamecube version, but I really loved it. I was so looking forward to BGIII. Drats.

I never played the Baldur's Gate games for the consoles (GBA, X-Box, etc), but I doubt I'm missing out, as none can compare to the PC versions.

Also, I never played Baldur's Gate (the original), how does it compare to the Second one?

Sometimes I feel like i'm the only person in the world who couldn't stand BG2. Yeah, I loved the atmosphere, the music, the epic feel of it. I have the box sitting on my desk next to me right now and I've attempted to play it several times. I really did. But I've never made it past the first half of chapter 2, giving up because of the frustratingly hard battles. Last I played, it was me and a group of friends actually, playing over LAN. We found ourselves reloading the same battle 10-15 times over a period of a couple hours. Constantly barraged with enemies that were far too powerful for our party. That takes tolls. I don't know if it was the same for other people or if we just weren't going about it right. I wish it were more like Diablo 2 in gameplay, but with the same story, setting and character interaction. A game like that sounds too good to be true. And is, because I've never found anything like it.

Speculative Horizons Moderator JamesL's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by monty_mike
    I never played the Baldur's Gate games for the consoles (GBA, X-Box, etc), but I doubt I'm missing out, as none can compare to the PC versions.

Also, I never played Baldur's Gate (the original), how does it compare to the Second one?
    You didn't miss out. I played the first Gamecube one about halfway through - mundane hack and slash action if ever you saw it. Not worthy of bearing the BG name.

The first Baldur's Gate is also a great, great RPG. Bags of atmosphere and adventure like the sequel. It is however not as good in terms of character development and depth. The storyline of the first game is also a little linear. I don't think I could play it now, because it is a little basic compared to the sequel (your characters start as lvl one, maximum lvl of like 8 or something, highest spells are lvl 5 rather than 9, etc). Still great game though.

Sometimes I feel like i'm the only person in the world who couldn't stand BG2. Yeah, I loved the atmosphere, the music, the epic feel of it. I have the box sitting on my desk next to me right now and I've attempted to play it several times. I really did. But I've never made it past the first half of chapter 2, giving up because of the frustratingly hard battles. Last I played, it was me and a group of friends actually, playing over LAN. We found ourselves reloading the same battle 10-15 times over a period of a couple hours. Constantly barraged with enemies that were far too powerful for our party. That takes tolls. I don't know if it was the same for other people or if we just weren't going about it right. I wish it were more like Diablo 2 in gameplay, but with the same story, setting and character interaction. A game like that sounds too good to be true. And is, because I've never found anything like it.
    Mmm, have to confess that the only battles I found hard were some of the later ones. Obviously I had to reload from time to time but generally the only ones where I tore my hair out were towards the end. Perhaps you had the difficulty level set too high? The higher the difficulty level, the tougher the enemies so it sounds like that might have been a possibility.