Philip K. Dick Award Finalist!

Neal Asher's novel Cowl is on the shortlist for the 2006 Philp K. Dick Award, given annually to distinguished science fiction published in paperback original form in the United States.

The Full shortlist is as follows:
    Cagebird, Karin Lowachee (Warner Aspect)
    Cowl, Neal Asher (Tor)
    Natural History, Justina Robson (Bantam Spectra)
    Silver Screen, Justina Robson (Pyr)
    To Crush the Moon, Wil McCarthy (Bantam Spectra)
    War Surf, M. M. Buckner (Ace)

Good luck Neal!

I've read three of the authors on the list, but only one of the books on the list.

Thanks for posting that, Rob.

It is very nice to be shortlisted for an award and even nicer to win it, if for no other reason than the publicity.

My particular favourite was to win, with The Skinner, the Czech SF&F&H Academy Award for the best SF book published there in 2004: the Salamander Award. This was out of a shortlist of Blood Music Greg Bear, Chasm City Alastair Reynolds, The Scar China Mieville and A Deepness Upon the Sky Vernor Vinge.

But why was it my favourite? Because the shortlist was superb, because being published in Czechoslovakia where I've never been before and no one has heard of me, there can be no accusation of nepotism or my being a member of some clique, and because the award covered SFF&H i.e. it wasn't an SF award won by a fantasy or mainstream or 'literary' book because the science fiction establishment is ashamed of SF.

I wonder what others here think of the awards and the books that win them?

agitated and opinionated
    Once upon a time, I noticed the awards. May have even spent three seconds caring about who won what.

These days, the only two that I've even vaguely paid attention to are the World Fantasy and the PKD Award. Sometimes, the Campbell Award. Once or twice, the Arthur C. Clarke award.

Other than that cursory interest? Meh.

I'd rather read books over award ballots.

I must admit that prior to 2000 when Macmillan started publishing me, I paid no attention at all. Thereafter I took an interest only because the publisher did.

Quote Originally Posted by nealasher
    Thanks for posting that, Rob.

It is very nice to be shortlisted for an award and even nicer to win it, if for no other reason than the publicity.

My particular favourite was to win, with The Skinner, the Czech SF&F&H Academy Award for the best SF book published there in 2004: the Salamander Award. This was out of a shortlist of Blood Music Greg Bear, Chasm City Alastair Reynolds, The Scar China Mieville and A Deepness Upon the Sky Vernor Vinge.

But why was it my favourite? Because the shortlist was superb, because being published in Czechoslovakia where I've never been before and no one has heard of me, there can be no accusation of nepotism or my being a member of some clique, and because the award covered SFF&H i.e. it wasn't an SF award won by a fantasy or mainstream or 'literary' book because the science fiction establishment is ashamed of SF.

I wonder what others here think of the awards and the books that win them?
    As you say, they seem to be good for publicity, and for folk who think such awards are worthwhile, then I guess it may get folk to read your books.

Yes, but the Phillip K. Dick award is a nice one. Dick has had an amazing impact on the field and was considered an sf author of considerable integrity. So being a nominee for it is something to congratulate yourself on as well earned praise.

Japanese Cowl.

Liz Johnson (Rights & Co-editions Manager at Macmillan) “…is truly delighted to report a Japanese deal for COWL. This is particularly exciting news as the Japanese fiction (and particularly Sci-fi) market is incredibly difficult at the moment - so many congratulations! Hayakawa Publishing Inc. will publish in paperback within 24 months.”

Excellent stuff – that’s country number nine after the USA, Russia, Germany, France, Portugal, Czechoslovakia, Spain and Romania.

Now, my thanks to Hayato Kato who approached me to get one of my short stories (The Veteran) published in Hayakawa's magazine. He took it upon himself to push me out there and doubtless this result is much due to him!