Feist Reading Order

Hi, I've done a search but couldn't find a recommended reading order for his books.

Apart from starting with magician, whats a good order to read them in. Some places say publication order, others chronological.

So from those who have read them, can we try and get a somewhat definitive list going, though knowing forums this may not be possible ;]

Never know might be worth making a sticky should it go well.

Just this guy, you know

Ooh! Me first!

This is my reccomended reading order of Feist's books, and the one I'm using for my re-reading of them.

Riftwar Saga
    • Magician
    • Silverthorn
    • A Darkness at Sethanon

Krondor's Sons
    • Prince of the Blood
    • The King's Buccaneer

Empire Trilogy
    • Daughter of the Empire
    • Servant of the Empire
    • Mistress of the Empire

Serpentwar Saga
    • Shadow of a Dark Queen
    • Rise of a Merchant Prince
    • Rage of a Demon King
    • Shards of a Broken Crown

Riftwar Legacy (Krondor)
    • Krondor: The Betrayal
    • Krondor: The Assassins
    • Krondor: Tear of the Gods

Conclave of Shadows
    • Talon of the Silver Hawk
    • King of Foxes
    • Exile's Return

Darkwar Saga
    • Flight of the Nighthawks

These can pretty much be read at any time, as they don't exactly add much to the storyline.
    • Honoured Enemy
    • Murder in LaMut
    • Jimmy The Hand

There's also the short stories, which can be read at any time also.

Finally, I'd like to add that this list is mostly based on the publishing order, but I'm quite sure that it's the correct way to read the series. Note that I have listed the Krondor series *after* the Serpentwar, even though it takes place before Prince of the Blood. This is not due to publishing order as such, but some things in the Riftwar Legacy can ruin the Serpentwar Saga. Best read in between Serpentwar and Conclave of Shadows, as it clears up some of the stuff in Serpentwar, and helps you understand the Conclave of Shadows and Darkwar series.

I second that order. I read them in a slightly different order to that and it got a little confusing, but that order is the best way to read them
    ~Ed~

I'd agree with the order except I'd read the Krondor's sons after the Empire series. Prince of the Blood and the King's Bucaneer lead directly into the Serpentwar saga and they aren't as good as his other novels.

Admittedly, I didn't read them in much of a coherent order, other than reading series together, but as Riftwar and Empire are close together chronologically it would make sense to read Empire after Riftwar, and then go on to the new storyline.

Hope you enjoy them!

Quote Originally Posted by Brys
    I'd agree with the order except I'd read the Krondor's sons after the Empire series. Prince of the Blood and the King's Bucaneer lead directly into the Serpentwar saga and they aren't as good as his other novels.

Admittedly, I didn't read them in much of a coherent order, other than reading series together, but as Riftwar and Empire are close together chronologically it would make sense to read Empire after Riftwar, and then go on to the new storyline.

Hope you enjoy them!
    I agree. The Empire novels run during the same timeframe as Riftwar, so I would definitely read them before Prince of the Blood.

The three Krondor novels I would also read after Serpentwar, but my preferred reading order is: Publication Order.

Just this guy, you know
    Quote Originally Posted by Pug
    I agree. The Empire novels run during the same timeframe as Riftwar, so I would definitely read them before Prince of the Blood.
    Pug, I can see what you mean, but all I can say is that Krondor's Sons virtually follow on from Darkness; even if they are set 20 years afterwards, I've always felt that's it's the same story, following on from the Riftwar.

As long as we're looking at timeframe, why not read the Krondor series before Prince of the Blood? After all, the Riftwar Legacy is set about 5-10 years after Darkness, and the last (unpublished and probably will remain so) book(s) of the Riftwar Legacy are set 7 years before PotB.

D :P
    I have always found reading his books as a timeline best but I dont think it really matters. They are all related stories but I like to read through the characters lifes accuratlety otherwis I get deppresed when people die and then return then die again etc etc

Well, I wouldn't bother with the Legacy books are they unreadably bad. Okay, he was going through a painful divorce at the time, but they were still awful. Thankfully, they seem to add nothing to the ongoing storyline.

Similarly, Empire and the Riftwar Legends are both tangential to the main storyline and can be read whenever, although earlier might be better given that they are set very early in the series.

So my recommended order would be:

Magician - Silverthorn - A Darkness at Sethanon - Prince of the Blood - The King's Bucaneer - Serpentwar Saga - Conclave of Shadows Trilogy - Darkwar Saga

I would recommend reading the Empire series before Krondor's Sons if only for the reason that Pug refers to the events of the Empire books in the Kings Buccaneer, and this will make a lot more sense if you've read them first. Overall, I'd say publication order is the best.

As the empire series is set around the same time as the first riftwar, it would be a good idea to read the empire series after a darkness at sethanon.