Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    under the moon and stars, in my land of books

Books we should Not read

I figured...since there is a thread on what books people think we should read, why not have one for books people think we should not read... its a stretch but I think people have read some bad books and it should be known... feel free to ignore this if you pellinorites think it is a bad idea for a thread...

twilight.
    that's all i'm saying.

Flor de la Tormenta Pure_Brujita's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rosygirl View Post
    twilight.
    that's all i'm saying.
    Hmm, i thought Twilight wasnīt that bad...average. Canīt really understand the hype about it though

Artemis fowl

Artemis Fowl...really?

But i got one- The Girl in Times Square
    It is a realism book, but quite strange (from politican murder plots, full on cancer- which the character survives and winning the lottery and becoming a billionare)
    Only so much can be tolerated...
    Last edited by Pure_Brujita; January 12th, 2009 at 08:19 AM.

Blog Entries
    I don't think there's any book that we shouldn't read. By this I mean, by saying for example, we shouldn't read Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen is a vague message. There are people here who should be advised not to read it, if they have no interest in feminist prose from the 19th century about a feisty heroine and a seemingly cold and snobbish gentleman, and the wrongness of their first impressions. However if you like all of those things then you should read P&P. (I know, that was an awful description of P&P )
    Same with Twilight, if you like stories where the fact that the protaganist's boyfriend and his family are inhumanly beautiful people/vampires is constantly mentioned and where the protaganist is having people constantly trying to kill her on every turn, then Twilight is something you should read. If not, steer clear.

Yeh i understand and agree with what you are saying Bree i love twilight saga and will read just about anything... if i get into a journal on something to do with an essay i am doing i can become just as absorbed in that, you will have bits in your favourite books that you don't like but a lot that you do whereas someone else will be completely different it's like the genres you like you wouldn't tell someone not to read fantasy just because you don't like it. What's the saying to each their own and the marmite one you either love it or hate it.. but there are some in between too that don't mind it!

Gareth Nix...... those ones..... you know....

I agree that everyone can read any book, but I know that some books are just so badly written that it is just not worth reading. Or you have those books that drag on and on and on and eventually you forget the point of the book...

As for Twilight, my friends and family talked about the book so much that it sounds sooooooo boring and a book that is not as good as, well the Pellinor series, for instance...

really...Artemis Fowl.... I have heard that a lot of people liked those books...

Quote Originally Posted by JMlovesHP View Post
    I agree that everyone can read any book, but I know that some books are just so badly written that it is just not worth reading. Or you have those books that drag on and on and on and eventually you forget the point of the book...

As for Twilight, my friends and family talked about the book so much that it sounds sooooooo boring and a book that is not as good as, well the Pellinor series, for instance...

really...Artemis Fowl.... I have heard that a lot of people liked those books...
    I personally loved them and i know people who dont like to read at all that were actually enjoy reading now because of the twilight series.

The sad part is i have a coworker (who irritates me) that after reading the first 2 twilight books and revealed to me that she is an english major and doesnt think she ever read a full book b4 twilight. I told her she doesnt want to spread THAT one around. but since reading them she has moved on to other books that i have enjoyed .. shes reading the graceling now. so i say if it gets people reading then GREAT.

Quote Originally Posted by cherie View Post
    she is an english major and doesnt think she ever read a full book b4 twilight.
    ####! Seriously!

Sorry, but...

that is true... that is so weird but its great that she is now reading more

Quote Originally Posted by HeavenSent View Post
    Gareth Nix...... those ones..... you know....
    I think he's a really good author, what don't you like about him?

In my gingerbread house, waiting for Maerad and Cadvan.
    Quote Originally Posted by HeavenSent View Post
    Artemis fowl
    HEY! I RESENT THAT! I go on the Artemis Fowl Forum more than i do this one!
    ive alos posted more! so yeah take that!

Although i have to say nearly all of the Artemis Fowl FFs on FF.net are terrible full of cliches and mary sues but for all you harry potter fans out there theres a really good artemisfowl/harrypotter crossover this chick has been writing for 5 years and its awesome shes going through all the years and has gotten up to chapter five of year four you dont have to know artemis fowl since all that happens in the summer holidays (artemis goes to hogwarts)

its very good and it finally has humanised the slytherins no one pays them any attention not only that but its got a lot more draco in it. all thhough i think ginny is a bit out of character

how about this heaven sent? i suggest you say WHY artemis fowl is a bad series after that i shall pick holes in your arguement and use a complex mathematical theory that will tell you when all you childhood heroes are likely to die

i shall start right now (midn you this is a stab in the dark but i trust it because most people who post on forums are either twilight harry potter or star wars fans or a combination of the three)

"Last of the orginal Star Wars actors die: 2038"
    Last edited by Super Nova; January 11th, 2009 at 10:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Super Nova View Post
    "Last of the orginal Star Wars actors die: 2038"
    Shock, Horror!!
    Nooo! Not Star Wars!! Well if that does happen could we at least switch it to the actors of the last 3 movies (chapters 1-3 ruined the series, sigh =3)
    Oh well...on topic again

Personally I can´t remember the Artemis Fowl series, it was ages ago that i read them, but i do sorta remember liking them. Again, i don´t now if i would like the series now because i have changed ever-so-much