Thread: Russian & Czech

Hybrid View

Website updates

The covers for the Czech and Russian translations of Gridlinked and The Skinner are now up on my site here: http://freespace.virgin.net/n.asher/coverpics.htm
    Last edited by nealasher; February 25th, 2006 at 08:46 AM.

Here we go, this is the Czech version of The Line of Polity - they've used the original Macmillan wrap-around cover and used it entire on the front. This the third book of mine Polaris have published, after The Skinner and Gridlinked, the first of which won the Salamander Award in that country (best SF book published there in the relevant year) and the second of which was shortlisted for it. I really must get out there one day and pick up that award from them - I'm all for tax-deductible holidays.
    Last edited by nealasher; June 29th, 2007 at 08:46 AM.

The covers look quite good when they're put on the front like that, rather than the wrap around. Can't decide which way I prefer them though. My favourite of covers to date though is the French cover for The Skinner, while my least favourite is probably the US cover for The Skinner.....

I sort of agree, but the new covers are pretty damned cool. I love Polity Agent, Hilldiggers, and like the Prador picture from the Macmillan issue of Prador Moon so much I now have it as a screen background. You'll find that HERE if you haven't seen it yet.

Who can explain why Gridlinked translated in Russian as "Zvyozdny drakon"(it means Star Dragon) and why The Line of Polity translated as "Zvyozdny predel" (it means Star Limit).

If you read Gridlinked I think the title translation becomes obvious (to do witht he bad guy, Dragon), but I'm not sure about The Line Of Polity as I've only read the first chapter or so at the moment!