Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

R.A. Salvatore, Nowhere to be Seen?

I know he isn't a great writer, but any standard, but you have to admit that Drizzt is a great character. I just found it weird he didn't have a discussion forum, so I thought I'd ask and see what was up.

Drizzt is a great character. Most of RAS's book about him are pretty good and alot of fun.
    I recently finished "Promise of the Witch-King." Though not a Drizzt book, it is Forgotten Realms and has old Artemis and Jarlaxle running amuck. The opening of the book is a battle scene that rocked! Check it out!

Well actually, Mr. Salvatore has come to visit us once in awhile and even for the Writing Forum had a question and answer thread for a few months, before his writing schedule got too busy. You can find it in the archived threads. There are also quite a few threads that have come up about him in the Fantasy Forum and you can access those by doing a Search (the little box at the top right of the Fantasy Forum screen,) of the archived threads. I think there were a couple recently because he had a new book out.

Besides being a really nice guy who is very supportive of other writers, Salvatore is also an icon of genre fantasy. So he does come up on this site. But in providing separate forums for individual authors, we have to consider how much activity those authors are generating on a regular basis, and currently, he does not inspire enough threads frequently enough to justify a separate forum. But the author forums do change from time to time. And you of course may talk about his works here on the Fantasy Forum as much as you like.

(I agree too -- Drizzt is a great character.)

Also, try the forum in his official site, www.rasalvatore.com. He is one of my fave authors and Drizzt is really great!

GemQuest Moderator Gary Wassner's Avatar
    If there is serious interest expressed here, I will contact him and see if he is interested in doing another interactive thread for a while???

I was just curious.

And I wasn't trying to be insulting when I said he wasn't a good writer.

I just have an obsession with Mr. R.R. Martin, and Salvatore, as much of a writer as he may be, doesn't touch the plane of existance that Mr. Martin is on.

Although, I pretty much know everything there is to know about the Drizzt series, seeing as I own all the books.

If you'd like to start a new thread for him, that would be nice, but I'm just one person.

Maybe you should vote on it or something.

We don't need to take a vote. Someone can simply start a thread if they want. What Gary is referring to is the interactive thread we had for awhile, where people could ask Salvatore questions and he'd answer back. I don't think he really has time to do it again, though.

You'll find many fans of Martin here, Desolate. In fact, he's possibly the most widely liked author on the site, though if you go over to the Martin forum, you may get an earful with some of the conversations.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDesolateOne
    I was just curious.

And I wasn't trying to be insulting when I said he wasn't a good writer.

I just have an obsession with Mr. R.R. Martin, and Salvatore, as much of a writer as he may be, doesn't touch the plane of existance that Mr. Martin is on.
    Matter of taste, pal. I, for example, do not like GRRM

Quote Originally Posted by allanon
    Matter of taste, pal. I, for example, do not like GRRM
    That's why I said I didn't mean to sound insulting to Mr. Salvatore.

Don't get me wrong, I own every one of his books, it's just I prefer Martin more.

I really haven't read alot of Fantasy, so I really can't say who is who.

Actually, I really haven't read alot, with the exception of school books. I'm only 17, and I just started heavily reading a little over 2 years ago.

Hemmingway, Salinger, Rice (Anne), Salvatore, Martin, Golden (Arthur), so I really don't have much of an opinion on writers, allthough out of that list, Martin has to be my favorite Fantasy, and Hemmingway my favorite non-fantasy.

El-Prawno
    drizzt is an awesome character. one of my favourite.

I agree, Drizzt is one of my favourites as well, even though i've only read a couple of books about him. The books are really hard to find, but i bought the Crystal Shard today and am hunting for the rest of the books(borrowed Homeland from the library a while back)

I think he's awesome as a guy and pretty good as a writer too. The first Demonwar trilogy and Mortalis had some really moving stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by saintjon
    I think he's awesome as a guy and pretty good as a writer too. The first Demonwar trilogy and Mortalis had some really moving stuff.
    I only read one book, and I really disliked it.

I haven't read any RAS before, but is the best place to start the Dark Elf trilogy? I was thinking of reading some of his novels for a light read sometime - and so I've got some knowledge of Forgotten Realms novels.

You could start with those, if you like. "The Crystal Shard" is the first one Salvatore wrote and Drizzt appears in that one. It's a big war novel. I'm not sure how many Drizzt and related books there are at this point -- a goodly number. Some explore Drizzt's dark elf past, others follow other characters Salvatore created in that universe. You can check out his website for a full listing.

He also did a few other series for TSR/Wizards of the Coast -- some very humorous, plus some much respected Star Wars tie-in novels.

He's done some other works outside the tie-in arena, most notably the Demonwar books, which have some of his best writing. The first one of those is "The Demon Awakens."

Salvatore is known best for his action and military scenes, of which he does have quite a lot and does them well. But I think his greater strength, and a main reason for his longevity, is his talent with characters and their inter-relationships. I'm not sure if you'd call all he's written "light" reads or not. Some of it is very humorous, but some of it is quite dark.