Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by KatG
    You could start with those, if you like. "The Crystal Shard" is the first one Salvatore wrote and Drizzt appears in that one.
    The Crystal Shard was written first, yes, but The Dark Elf Trilogy is a prequel, and it fills in more on Drizzt's life, and more on his background.

So, Brys, yes, I'd start there before, the books really don't affect anything after the Crystal Shard, but they're definately good to fill you in on his childhood, and meet some key characters of his life; his father Zaknafien (sp?), and the blind ranger who's name I forgot.

Quote Originally Posted by KatG
    Salvatore is known best for his action and military scenes, of which he does have quite a lot and does them well. But I think his greater strength, and a main reason for his longevity, is his talent with characters and their inter-relationships. I'm not sure if you'd call all he's written "light" reads or not. Some of it is very humorous, but some of it is quite dark.
    I'll clarify what I mean by light - I mean light as opposed to heavy, as in easy to read, rather than as opposed to dark. What I meant is something that doesn't require a lot of effort to read - ie the opposite to Nabokov's Pale Fire. It can have an incredibly dark storyline - those are the type I prefer, and I prefer humour interspersed with a decent storyline, which can often be quite dark.

Thanks for the advice - I'll be getting the Dark Elf trilogy when I next get a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by Brys
    I'll clarify what I mean by light - I mean light as opposed to heavy, as in easy to read, rather than as opposed to dark. What I meant is something that doesn't require a lot of effort to read - ie the opposite to Nabokov's Pale Fire. It can have an incredibly dark storyline - those are the type I prefer, and I prefer humour interspersed with a decent storyline, which can often be quite dark.

Thanks for the advice - I'll be getting the Dark Elf trilogy when I next get a chance.

The only thing I personally don't like about RAS, is the fact that after you read more than a few of his books, you can just skim down pages, picking out the detail. I don't even read his books anymore, and I finish them in a day, maybe a little more, because I don't really have to do much.

At first, the great fight scenes are awesome, they are fully detailed, and it's a great read. Then again, there's only so many scenarios (sp?) that you can use for his cast of main characters, and they tend to repeat themselves and get rather drab and boring.

Maybe it's just me.

I have read every single book in the series, except the Cadderly books, which is 18 books (Including the new Witch King book), and it just got boring to me.

I'm not saying he is a bad writer, because his characters are amazing, I just don't like how every fight scene, reguardless of the environment, all is the same read.

Again, maybe it's just me.

Uh, Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDesolateOne
    The Crystal Shard was written first, yes, but The Dark Elf Trilogy is a prequel, and it fills in more on Drizzt's life, and more on his background.

So, Brys, yes, I'd start there before, the books really don't affect anything after the Crystal Shard, but they're definately good to fill you in on his childhood, and meet some key characters of his life; his father Zaknafien (sp?), and the blind ranger who's name I forgot.
    I'd be more inclined to read in publishing order - I find that generally prequels are more effective because they're filling in detail of something you already know. Each to their own though.

Have you read his "New Jedi Order" book? I was very impressed. His novel was the only one in which I felt the dread of the Vong invaders, in which I really felt "oh no, big trouble", and the only book in which I pitied a Jedi (I don't like the Order).
    About light read, he is easy to read, which speaks good about him IMO - but the Demon Wars books are quite dark, and as a religious person for me it was chilling how the Father Abbot mistaked Bestesbulzibar for God.

R.A. Salvatore, Nowhere to be Seen?

hello all am new here so hi.just a quick question which order do his books run,ive been looking on amazon but dont know witch book to start with.i ended up ordering the dark elf trilolgy.so if anyone can fill me in it would be most helpful

go with the icewind dale trilogy first.

although dark elf trilogy is a prequel, i prefer starting with icewind dale...

...although it doesn't hurt starting with dark elf trilogy anyway.

after those two, take LEGACY OF THE DROW, then PATHS OF DARKNESS, then HUNTER's BLADES

Can you pick up Servant of the Shard without having read any other Salvatore?

(This goes out to the moderators,I used the search button and I found this thread, this OPEN thread, if you people cloes it then I know your just trying to spite me.)

I wouldn't recommend it that one does lean heavily on prior events from the other books.

Where should I start?I dont want to start at the beginning because I read 10,000 orcs and I dont think I could handle book after book of those characters.

You could always check www.rasalvatore.com

There are two answers:

The Icewind Dale Trilogy, which starts with The Crystal Shard. That is where Drizzt makes his first published appearnce.

His first chronological appearance is The Dark Elf Trilogy, first book: Homeland.

Failing that, check out this Wikipedia Entry

Jarlaxle

it is far better charachter for my taste!

The Dark Elf trilogy would definitely be the place to start(and probably end as well) for Salvatore/Drizzt. I don't know that I can reccomend the books though. I'd put Salvatore in the category with Weis & Hickman of authors that I really enjoyed when I was younger but I'm not sure if I could pick up a book from them now and like it.

I reread The Crystal Shard a year or two ago and still found it very enjoyable. However, I ran out of enthusiasm for rereading the later books. Salvatore's biggest problem is that when he was writing the 'Legacy' series he and TSR had a massive falling out (they wouldn't let him kill off Drizzt and threatened to give the books to another writer) and some of his later books are very lacklustre compared to the earlier ones. However, I have heard that the latest two series are better, due to a much more positive working relationship between him and Wizards of the Coast (who bought out TSR).

Interestingly, given earlier comments, Salvatore is a big fan of GRRM. According to friends who were there, they were on the same panel at Worldcon in August and Salvatore was very impressed with GRRM's ability with plotline and character.

I don't see why he wouldn't be. The only guy I've ever seen him get heat with was Matt Stover, and even then it wasn't over the quality of matt's writing.