Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What's a good source to find new fantasy releases?

As a preamble, I'd like to note that I wish amazon would include a notification system when there are new released by your particular favorite authors. This thread is inspired by the fact I had no idea Skin Game just came out.

So, i've googled around and I can't find a decent source for upcoming releases. Rob's Blog does a decent job of indicating some forthcoming books but it's hardly complete and hardly intuitive. Even the monthly "reading in _____________" thread on this forum contains mainly books that have been out for a while.

Any help would be appreciated.

I don't know how thorough they are, or if it's exactly what you're looking for, but Tor.com has a series that details upcoming releases by sub genre every month(and the books are from lots of different publishers, not just Tor.): http://www.tor.com/tags/fiction%20affliction

The New ... MARK LAWRENCE Mark Lawrence's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    The author!

For example. My book Prince of Fools came out today. There, I've cut out the middle man.

Amazon has monthly notifications by genre - including SFF.

Also, if you are looking for SFF exclusively, Locus also lists what new books are being released monthly.

You can get an email subscription for amazon's notifications, and set up rss feeds for both also.

It could be worse. ~tmso Moderator N. E. White's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mark, that was just...shameless.

Quote Originally Posted by StoneBurner
    What's a good source to find new fantasy releases?
    I have a Kindle and a Nook. Both Amazon and Barnes & Noble send email notifications for upcoming books that are similar to the books I've already bought. So, I've gotten both fantasy and science fiction pre-release notices for many books. Is it complete? No, but between the both of them I usually know when stuff I might be interested in is coming out.

Do you have a Twitter account? You can create one and just follow all the publishers (big and small) as I'm sure they all tweet their upcoming titles. Come to think of it, I should do that.

Right here: http://www.sfsignal.com/archives/201...s-276-of-them/

That's the June list. SFSignal puts one out every month.

Quote Originally Posted by Danogzilla View Post
    Right here: http://www.sfsignal.com/archives/201...s-276-of-them/

That's the June list. SFSignal puts one out every month.

Thank you, this is exactly what I'm looking for.

And I am Amazon's mailing list and they occasionally mail be good recommendations. But Amazon needs to allow you to "follow" certain authors. While "Skin Game" is obviously a popular title from a popular author that would have become known to me at some point, I was also unaware that Douglass Hullick's second book "Sworn In Steel" came out. I preordered that book years ago and Amazon failed to actually send it to me or to update me that the book had been released.

And Mark: I would love for every author to personally inform me when their books are released, but I am informed and believe that most lack the dedication to their fans that you have.

Quote Originally Posted by oasis seeker View Post
    Also, if you are looking for SFF exclusively, Locus also lists what new books are being released monthly.
    Locus lists a fair number, but imo it's worth keeping in mind that they skip over some too.

Quote Originally Posted by StoneBurner View Post
    While "Skin Game" is obviously a popular title from a popular author that would have become known to me at some point, I was also unaware that Douglass Hullick's second book "Sworn In Steel" came out. I preordered that book years ago and Amazon failed to actually send it to me or to update me that the book had been released.
    In this very Forum there's a sticky called 2014 Fantasy & Horror Releases - What are you excited about?. The first post mentions some common resources, such as Locus and Goodreads, and after that many people have put in titles that they're interested in. There's no guarantee that what you follow will be mentioned there, but sometimes it happens, and in this case both Skin Game and Sworn in Steel, and their release dates, are mentioned in the very second post from back in November http://www.sffworld.com/forums/showt...l=1#post727891

I think that's also a good thread for things you may not even be aware of that you might be interested in, and if you're looking for something that no one's mentioned yet, then that might help someone else out in return.

Quote Originally Posted by AmethystOrator View Post
    In this very Forum there's a sticky called 2014 Fantasy & Horror Releases - What are you excited about?. The first post mentions some common resources, such as Locus and Goodreads, and after that many people have put in titles that they're interested in. There's no guarantee that what you follow will be mentioned there, but sometimes it happens, and in this case both Skin Game and Sworn in Steel, and their release dates, are mentioned in the very second post from back in November http://www.sffworld.com/forums/showt...l=1#post727891

I think that's also a good thread for things you may not even be aware of that you might be interested in, and if you're looking for something that no one's mentioned yet, then that might help someone else out in return.
    Problem with those types of resources is that they often miss books, or they are based on release dates that change. Tracking the release of the Hullick book, for example, was a major PITA as it was delayed so many times.

It would be nice if SFF kept a monthly (or even weekly) list of new SF/Fantasy releases. Almost every music based website I visit, for example, has a list of "new and upcoming releases" that are frequently updated.

Problem with those types of resources is that they often miss books, or they are based on release dates that change. Tracking the release of the Hullick book, for example, was a major PITA as it was delayed so many times.

It would be nice if SFF kept a monthly (or even weekly) list of new SF/Fantasy releases. Almost every music based website I visit, for example, has a list of "new and upcoming releases" that are frequently updated.
    Almost every music website has someone paid to do that. But if you would like to volunteer to try it, we'd be thrilled.

There is also the main SFFWorld.com site, which has author interviews, book reviews of new titles, and general news and info:

http://www.sffworld.com/

Quote Originally Posted by KatG View Post
    Almost every music website has someone paid to do that. But if you would like to volunteer to try it, we'd be thrilled.

There is also the main SFFWorld.com site, which has author interviews, book reviews of new titles, and general news and info:

http://www.sffworld.com/

I would volunteer, but I wouldn't know where to get the information.

Maybe I should join Twitter. You kids with all your newfangled social media. I'm old school, I like my internet to be anonymous and unidirectional.

It could be worse. ~tmso Moderator N. E. White's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I would volunteer...
    Great! You're hired.

...but I wouldn't know where to get the information.
    Well, you'd probably get the information like the rest of us do (email notifications directly from publishers).

I'm old school, I like my internet to be anonymous and unidirectional.
    You don't have to sign up for an account anywhere (or give up your email address). Most publishers have a website where they announce their upcoming releases.

Hmmmmm, I wonder if we could get some sort of Calendar thing going, where anyone could contribute a book release or upcoming event. Didn't we have a calendar once? Did it get eaten during the re-design?

Here is one I look at from time to time:

http://www.locusmag.com/Resources/ForthcomingBooks.html

Like some folks said, they don't have every book on the list though. Goodreads helps quite a bit, but often I have to make my own list and keep track of what I'm waiting for.

Another site I use, especially to see about "series" information is: http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/
    Last edited by ColdSun; June 5th, 2014 at 05:44 PM.