Fantasy stories set in our time or world?

I was wondering which books to read next and then it struck me that I really would like to read a fantasy story set in our own time or world (nothing with vampires and such things though, I'm definitely not looking for Buffy the Vampire type of books).

Anybody have any good suggestions, I just can't seem to find anything?

Stephen Donaldon's Thomas Convenant books deal with a real-world character brought to a fantasy world against his will. That may help. Other-wise you may have a tough time. Clive Barker's books take place in our world, sort of. The worlds often overlap.

The new Terry Brooks series, Running with the demon/ Knight of the word (or something like that, I am on my office) is actually quite decent.
    Michael Scott Rohan has a very good trilogy, of which I have forgotten the names.

Thanks
    I'll definitely look into Clive Barker and Michael Scott Rohan. Donaldson's Thomas Covenant books is somewhat the "wrong" way, I was more looking for something like Jordan's Rand al'Thor walking into our world. When it comes to Brooks, are these books better than the Shannara series? I read a couple of those, and I must say that I wasn't very impressed.

Once again, Thanks

[This message has been edited by Bilbo (edited December 27, 1999).]

The Brooks-books are better, but still not among the very best.

I just finished reading Orson Scott Card's "Enchantment". The story takes place in both the modern world and 9th century Ukraine. If you have never read anything by Orson, this is a great one to start with. It is Sleeping Beauty...with a twist. I really think you'll enjoy it.

[This message has been edited by dragondreamer (edited January 20, 2000).]

I can think of two series set in our world and time that might be of interest to you. The first is by Diane Duane, the first book is called The Book of Night with Moon and is about wizard cats that live in New York City in the present and must save the world from evil forces. The second book, called To Visit the Queen, takes place in modern day New York City and 19th Century England.
    The second series of Books is by Rosemary Edghill and starts off with an elf from another world showing up in our world. This one also takes place in New York City. The second book in the series takes place in the alternate world, but you don't really need to read the second book; the first book can pretty much stand alone.
    Hope those suggestions help.

Raymond Feist's "Faerie Tale" is set in 'this world', that's a pretty good story. That's definitely a clash of fantasy with the real world.

I'd certainly recommend the "Mythago Wood" novels by Robert Holdstock.

an interesting series set in our time is
    J.K. rowlings harry potter books. they are written for younger kids (like mid elementary age)so the reading is fairly easy, but i really enjoyed them anyway. i read all three that are currently out over my christmas break. it was a nice change from college text books. i even got my mom to read them, and my older sister. harry potter is a wizard who lives in england and goes to a wizards school that mugggles (those who don't know about the existance of magic) don't even know exist. i thought it was interesting

Some Charles de Lint books are set in this time. Sorry, can't remember the book name, but the gist goes like this. Girl lives with uncle in a big house, said house links with another dimension, girl goes into other dimension and somehow this dimension tries to take over the house in our world. Sorry this is not very helpful!! I read this book about 5-6 years ago, and it is in my loft so I can't check on the details - but it was a good book. CdL has written a few set in our world, so if you look up his name you should find the one I mean.

Just bought another CdL book and in the lists of his other books is the above book. "Moonheart" (at least it rings a bell anyway!!!!)

[This message has been edited by Merry (edited April 22, 2000).]

Stephen King and Peter Straub wrote "The Talisman" in which the action shifts back and forth bewteen this world and a fantasy one. The main character is from this world, but other characters from the fantasy world join him in this one. it's worth the read, but a little "off-the-beaten-path" as far as fantasy goes.

You might try Roger Zelanzny's (sp?) Amber Chronicles too. They shift back and forth between modern times, and the Amber world. Quite enjoyable.