Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

HBO's Game of Thrones Season Four (Contains SPOILERS for Song of Ice and Fire)

So....episode two of the new season.... Is everybody happy now?

Saturn Comes Back Around Evil Agent's Avatar
    So far, it's been a fantastic start to the season. It could end up being the best so far, if they maintain this quality.

Episode 1 was a very strong opener. The highlight for me was definitely the final scene, with Arya and the Hound. Possibly the Hound's best scene in the series so far. And Maisie Williams as Arya was frightening.

Episode 2: Purple wedding. Although I was thrilled when I read this part of the book, over ten years ago, now I'm actually kind of sad. I've really enjoyed Jack Gleeson's portrayal of Joffrey and will strangely miss him. He's so fun to hate. But overall I thought the scene was very well done, and quite similar to the way it happened in the book.

Definitely looking forward to the next 8 episodes. Lots of great stuff on the way.

Blog Entries
    I'm a big ditto to those comments. Great start to the season.

Episode 1 was fantastic with the Hound and Arya, but perhaps a little shallow what with all the jumping around -- I remain stunned they only do 10 episodes in a season. There's so much to cover.

Great moments of humour so far this season, too.

Episode 2 -- the Martin episode is always so good. Joffrey's death scene was extremely well done. I thought the break up with Shae came across a bit trite, and Dinklater's weird accent became very inconsistent and evidently contrived because of it. But other than that, the addition of Selyse offered a nice rounding out to Stannis' story, which on the screen was becoming a bit flat. And I dislike the change in Daario.

But otherwise...

Jack Gleeson has been amazing and I will miss him. He didn't need to be quite as monstrous as they made him in the series, but he was so good at it, they piled it on.

The switch of actors playing Dario threw me off. It was like, who's that fellow. The first actor who played him might have had a conflict. They made him not very like Dario in the books and this new Dario is also not like the books but seems to have good chemistry with Danys.

The romance between Tyrion and Shae they've made entirely too sweet and emotional in the series and they've made Shae way too nice, so I don't know quite how they're going to pull off what comes later. Also Tyrion's token scar has now like, almost disappeared. It's just silly, especially in the scene with Jaime dealing with his lost hand. They are also making the Hound way too nice at the moment, but he and young Arya rock the dialogue so well, I don't think anyone cares at this point.

I thought that they came up with a decent solution to the inability to ride pigs and not wanting to spend the CGI on them instead of pretty dragons. But the wedding reception did get dragged out a good deal. Still it tied everything together neatly -- so Martin wrote that one? I didn't even look at credits.

Am I misremembering? Did Jamie send Brienne off with his new sword...did he even have a new sword? Did Bran get captured by the traitor crows?...did Ghost? Did they ever tell us in the book what they did with the babies? Was the Tyrell's really the people who killed Jofry? Were we told that yet? Why am I forgetting everything?!

Saturn Comes Back Around Evil Agent's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by chris777 View Post
    Am I misremembering? Did Jamie send Brienne off with his new sword...did he even have a new sword? Did Bran get captured by the traitor crows?...did Ghost? Did they ever tell us in the book what they did with the babies? Was the Tyrell's really the people who killed Jofry? Were we told that yet? Why am I forgetting everything?!
    The Jaime/Brienne stuff was pretty much exactly the same in the books.

The Littlefinger/Tyrell conspirace was also from the books, but it's less explicit. Mostly hinted at.

The major changes were everything at Craster's Keep (Bran getting captured, Jon heading there, Ghost captured, etc.) and the White Walker stuff at the end.

Quote Originally Posted by chris777 View Post
    Yes, Tywin melts down the Stark sword into two new ones. Jaime gives Brienne the sword and Tyrion's squire.

Bran did not get captured by the crows at Craster's Keep -- he's over on the west side of the land beyond the Wall, not the east side. They seem to be waiting to introduce a particular character in the books re Bran, so they're stalling, sort of.

In the books, Jon sends Ghost to Castle Black to protect Ghost when Jon is with the wildings. But when Jon gets back to Castle Black, Ghost isn't there. He is reunited with Ghost a few days later. They have a warg link.

We do learn about the male babies when the Night's Watch hostels with Craster. That's why Sam helps Gilly escape with her baby. But the implication is that the babies get eaten as a sacrifice by the Walkers. The additional material in the t.v. show on this was a very big deal as it may indicate information about the series that Martin gave the show runners that has not yet been in the books.

It is heavily implied in the books that grandma Tyrell offs Joffrey, in conspiracy with Littlefinger.

You are forgetting stuff because they are big ass books.

What about the rest of the season?

So is no one talking about the rest of the episodes and it's major spoilers? What do people think of what happened to Joffrey. And that questionable "rape" scene with Jaime and Cersei. I'm curious to know what you guys think!

Having read the books, I was expecting Joffrey's end. I thought the actor did his death as well as he did his character, which is to say impeccably.

I am not at all happy with the scene with Jaime and Cersei being turned into a rape scene instead of what it was originally in the book. In the book, it is a pivotal scene and pivotal considerably because it was a consensual sex scene. I am not happy with the added attempted rape scene in the North, in the added action sequence there. I am not happy about various changes in the Sansa storyline either. Basically, it seems like as they frantically juggle, stall and try to build mini-climaxes into this season particularly, that they keep running towards rape and rape related storylines that have very little to do with Martin's story. It's an easy thing to do -- when in doubt, put women through sexual violence so that it seems "edgy." Right now, it's not seeming edgy, it's seeming lame and it's annoying a lot of experienced fans.

That being said, there's been a lot of stuff this season that I like, some of it changed stuff and some of it straight from the books. My hope is that they have enough money to do the upcoming events in the North properly for the season's end, because they clearly didn't quite have enough to properly do Dany's conquering drive of the east the last two seasons. I like this show overall quite a lot; I'm amazed that they are doing it, but battle action issues have been a problem all the way through.

Also, since they are making the Hound a lot more cuddly, it is tempting to advocate to somehow make a Arya and Hound sociopathy spin-off series. Ditto Pod and Brienne.

Just went through Ep. 8. Gotta agree with this assessment of the episode:

http://www.ranker.com/list/game-of-t...-8/matt-grippi

the fight scene at the end was awesome. Made me feel exactly the way the book did, even though I knew what was going to happen.

WTF? You already won! Don't go near him! Just let him die! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

It's a big mess they made at the end of the episode, indeed.

Arrgh! They just killed most of Jon's posse! They're not supposed to die! Drat the show. I don't care how much mammoths cost, they should have kept Pypar and Grenn.

And the body count keep on counting. That is, body counts you can name. This one in episode nine contains yet another game-changing death.

http://gameofthrones.wikia.com/wiki/...ies_-_Season_4

A lot of these are not that important, but many are, and what I cam here to complain about!

• Pyp and Grenn both ​survive the battle
    • Brienne and the Hound never meet in the books
    • Cersei never tells Tywin about her incestuous relationship with Jaime
    • Jojen does not die fighting against the wights
    • Tyrion's motive for killing Tywin.
    • ​The whereabouts of Varys is not described in the book after the assassination of Tywin.
    • The dragons being chained, where's the black?!
    • And still..Where is lady stoneheart!?...has to be in season 5 premier.