Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Raymond E. Feist?

I have had suggestions to read his fisrst series never got around to it because for some reason they were expensive. I was at my local library and ended up picking up his darkwars saga and really like it. Most people say they don't really like any of his books after his first series are the rest of his books as good as The Darkwar Saga I really enjoyed them.

I recently read Magician and Silverthorn which are the first two in the original trilogy and to be quite honest I was not that impressed. While the story itself was ok, I found the writing to be mediocre at best. I will eventually read the third book, A Darkness at Sethanon, but not sure if I will continue with Feist in the future although I have heard his writing improves with subsequent novels.

I'm not sure about anything regarding "1st" or "2nd" series, but I started out with this Talon of the Silver Hawk and thoroughly enjoyed it. I would definitely recommend it if you're just looking to try out one of Feist's works for the first time.

Feist has been around forever and a lot of people on the forums here have read him. You might want to check out the threads tagged with Feist to get an idea of what others think about his writing.

Supercalifragilistic
    Feist is one of my favorite authors and Magician is one of my favorite books. I would recommend reading all his books.

If you find a series "mediocre at best" I'm not sure why you would continue it.

I just picked up Magicians Apprentice the other day because of suggestions from people on this site. A couple chapters in it seems decent, the writing is good, not spectacular. Hopefully the story will be really captivating.

Quote Originally Posted by BEEFY View Post
    I have had suggestions to read his fisrst series never got around to it because for some reason they were expensive. I was at my local library and ended up picking up his darkwars saga and really like it. Most people say they don't really like any of his books after his first series are the rest of his books as good as The Darkwar Saga I really enjoyed them.
    What did you like about the Dark Saga? Personally, i think that if u like that, Magician would definitely be enjoyable to you. To me that is the strongest book in his entire series. Following that, you might consider picking up the Empire Trilogy which he co-wrote with Janny Wurts. The latter was just, if not more, enjoyable. Happy reading!

While I've heard a fair bit of bad things about Feist, I really enjoyed Magician. Then again, it was one of the first fantasy books I read, so I'm not sure how it would hold up these days. The next two books in the trilogy was also good, but the next book in that universe was somewhat dull, and I never bothered after that.

Filthy Assistants! Moderator kater's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I'm still a Feist advocate though his last few books have been a little underwhelming. If you liked the Darkwar Saga I have no doubt you'll like pretty much anything else Feist has written because most of his work is set in the same world, albeit preceding what you've read. Personally I came to Feist through the Serpentwar Saga so that is one I still think highly of, I agree with ben1xy that Feist's 'Of the Empire' trilogy with Janny Wurts is probably the best of his work, though not set in the Darkwar world of Midkemia but in the Tsurani homeworld of Kelewan. I think you should do what sliceofaorta suggests and go back a little way to Talon of the Silverhawk and try the Conclave of Shadows trilogy, if you like that too then definitely go to the beginning and try Magician.

i loved magician but havennt read any other than the original trilogy, so i woujld suggest you start there.

The best place to start a story is from the beginning

Yeah I was just wondering because I was going though threads and a lot of people seemed not to like his work after the first series and didn't understand why, and if maybe if I just got one of his later series that was better than most of his books. I will probably do as you guys suggest and go back a couple series and read those. I like how he tells a story I think he has interesting characters, and I like how he has multiple worlds but how they get there is still fantasy and not sci fi.

Quote Originally Posted by teahupoo View Post
    Feist is one of my favorite authors and Magician is one of my favorite books. I would recommend reading all his books.

If you find a series "mediocre at best" I'm not sure why you would continue it.
    I said the story was ok and I found the writing to be mediocre at best. When compared to the crop of writers that have appeared in the last decade, Feist's writing is mediocre in my opinion, especially his dialogue. With that said, I see no reason not to finish the original trilogy. Just because I don't believe the writing to be that great, doesn't mean I don't want to know how it turns out.

I haven't read Feist in a while but I really liked his first trilogy and would definitely recommend it over any of his other works. The concluding novel, A Darkness at Sethanon has a great climactic battle sequence and it is one of my favorite fantasy books.

I've only read the Magician book (both Apprentice and Master), but I throughly enjoyed it when I was younger. I don't know why I didn't continue reading more, but I plan to go back to Magician, reread it, and go through that series. From there, I probably will sample a few more of his other series as well and see how I like them.

I just started Magician and so far I am enjoying it. There is the ring of adventure in the air. The writing so far is decent and the world building has not been overwhelming. I am intrigued b/c there are elves and dwarves and have not seen them in a while outside of Tolkien.