Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: News

Quote Originally Posted by nealasher View Post
    Ah bollocks. A month or so ago I got an email from a guy asking me about the film rights for Hilldiggers and, ever since, I was understandably keeping my fingers crossed what with the guy concerned being a story editor from 20th Century Fox. Unfortunately he couldn’t rally up enough interest amidst the executives.

It seems that what I need is one or any combination of three things to become attached to said book: talent (I’m presuming we’re talking about some actor here), book-to-film agent or a producer. So if any of you guys know anything about this sort of stuff…

It is annoying to google ‘book-to-film agent’ and find, for example, this on one screenplay agency site:

Looking for completed feature sci-fi scripts. Only interested in big-budget summer blockbuster-type stories with strong fantastical elements that require lots of special effects.

Damn, apart from the fact that none of my books are scripts, the second sentence describes them perfectly. I need to have a look at my screenplay writing stuff and maybe have a pop at it myself. Either that or try to get someone more experienced with this sort of thing onboard.

Sigh.
    that is a shame. still as you say you are not far off - what you need to do is turn your prose into a screenplay, and edit for length (screenplays are usually 150-170 pages from what i've read. of course all the descriptive exposition doesn't count (environments, appearances so the way you describe them in the books so well will stand in good stead for selling the idea and feel of it, but not actually count to length of script ). maybe you could try yourself and even take a quick screen-writing class if you are interested? plus always retain exec producer rights when you sell the book/script, that way it leaves you with some creative control over the process so they don't butcher your work....
    Last edited by gaiusbaltar; September 14th, 2007 at 05:32 AM.

Daniel, I've ordered a book about turning books into screenplays, but since that post you've quoted, things are moving on with a producer/director and another producer being pointed towards me -- the latter has The Engineer ReConditioned on his shelf and appears to be the real deal. Fingers crossed.

Daniel, I've ordered a book about turning books into screenplays, but since that post you've quoted, things are moving on with a producer/director and another producer being pointed towards me -- the latter has The Engineer ReConditioned on his shelf and appears to be the real deal. Fingers crossed.
    excellent! thanks for the awesome news, neal - and amazing how quickly things can change/move, huh?! the length and complexity of your work will always work against you within a films very limited constraints but i'm sure a good screenwriter working with you, or you yourself, would be able to do it justice. so long as you don't lose all control and they don't butcher it (see any movie based on a computer game), any of your books would make an awesome movie or even computer game (where the complexity of the plots would actually work in your favour).

actually, thinking about it - prador moon would be an excellent introduction to a series of films of your work - you have a slightly shorter story, but one that ties in to a lot of your other work; it introduces a lot of your concepts - a.i.s, the polity, the prador etc.; but also has lots of balls-to-the-wall action and big scary aliens for the audience - sounds perfect to me!
    Last edited by gaiusbaltar; September 15th, 2007 at 03:53 PM.

hey neal

hope you are well and looking forward to christmas! :-).

just wanted to say i finally got my Prador Moon HC from amazon (looking to get The Engineer reconditioned for christmas, too), wanted to know how i could get it signed if possible?

been re-reading your book and playing mass effect on my 360 - i'm sure someone has been taking some inspiration from your work there, or else a lot of convergence in sci fi is going on.... :-p

anyway hope you have a great x-mas and new year if you get this!

best
    dan

happy new year, neal! hope you had a great christmas/new year

Here’s a bit of an update on the writing and so forth:

My Czech publishers - Polaris - have offered for rights of The Voyage of the Sable Keech. Publication will be within 12 months, licence limited to 4 years.

Nightshade books are publishing Shadow of the Scorpion on May 1st this year. This is a book (longer than Prador Moon) covering some early episodes of Cormac’s life:

Raised to adulthood during the end of the war between the human Polity and the vicious arthropoid race the Prador, Ian Cormac is haunted by childhood memories of a sinister scorpion-shaped war drone and the burden of losses he doesn’t remember. In the years following the war he signs up with Earth Central Security, and is sent out to help either restore or maintain order on worlds devastated by Prador bombardment. There he discovers that though the old enemy remains as murderous as ever, it is not anywhere near as perfidious or dangerous as some of his fellow humans, some closer to him than he would like. Amidst the ruins left by war-time genocides, he discovers in himself a cold capacity for violence, learns some horrible truths about his own past and, set upon a course of vengeance, tries to stay alive.

As for writing done while in Crete: I completed the above mentioned book, a 10,000 word story for Gardner Dozois’s New Space Opera II and am more than a third of the way into Orbus, a follow-up to The Voyage of the Sable Keech:

The Old Captain, Orbus – a sadist in charge of a crew of masochists – became a reformed character at the end of The Voyage of the Sable Keech and took over the captaincy of the spaceship the Gurnard. Meanwhile, the Prador Vrell, mutated by the Spatterjay virus into something powerful and dangerous, had seized control of a Prador dreadnought, killing its entire crew, and was heading back to the Prador Third Kingdom to exact vengeance on those who tried to have him killed. Both these characters are heading for ‘The Graveyard’ (mentioned in Alien Archaeology – Asimov’s) a buffer zone between the Polity and the Prador Kingdom, the perhaps into the kingdom itself. Orbus has a few unresolved issues about the Prador and about Vrell in particular …

Administrator Administrator Hobbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    All sounds good, Neal: I particularly like the sound of Orbus myself.

Mark / Hobbit
    Mark

Here’s a bit of an update on the writing and so forth:

My Czech publishers - Polaris - have offered for rights of The Voyage of the Sable Keech. Publication will be within 12 months, licence limited to 4 years.

Nightshade books are publishing Shadow of the Scorpion on May 1st this year. This is a book (longer than Prador Moon) covering some early episodes of Cormac’s life:

Raised to adulthood during the end of the war between the human Polity and the vicious arthropoid race the Prador, Ian Cormac is haunted by childhood memories of a sinister scorpion-shaped war drone and the burden of losses he doesn’t remember. In the years following the war he signs up with Earth Central Security, and is sent out to help either restore or maintain order on worlds devastated by Prador bombardment. There he discovers that though the old enemy remains as murderous as ever, it is not anywhere near as perfidious or dangerous as some of his fellow humans, some closer to him than he would like. Amidst the ruins left by war-time genocides, he discovers in himself a cold capacity for violence, learns some horrible truths about his own past and, set upon a course of vengeance, tries to stay alive.

As for writing done while in Crete: I completed the above mentioned book, a 10,000 word story for Gardner Dozois’s New Space Opera II and am more than a third of the way into Orbus, a follow-up to The Voyage of the Sable Keech:

The Old Captain, Orbus – a sadist in charge of a crew of masochists – became a reformed character at the end of The Voyage of the Sable Keech and took over the captaincy of the spaceship the Gurnard. Meanwhile, the Prador Vrell, mutated by the Spatterjay virus into something powerful and dangerous, had seized control of a Prador dreadnought, killing its entire crew, and was heading back to the Prador Third Kingdom to exact vengeance on those who tried to have him killed. Both these characters are heading for ‘The Graveyard’ (mentioned in Alien Archaeology – Asimov’s) a buffer zone between the Polity and the Prador Kingdom, the perhaps into the kingdom itself. Orbus has a few unresolved issues about the Prador and about Vrell in particular …
    awesome - cormac AND prador in one book! can't wait!! the vrell one should be good as well - that was a great set-up....

19/02 :-

both the line war and shadow of the scorpion are available for pre-order on amazon.co.uk (the latter doesn't have a set release date yet - sometime in may 2008, but line war is currently scheduled for 4th april 2008 in HC) -

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Line-War-Age...3439180&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Shadow-Scorp...439180&sr=8-12

Hey Gaius, how you doing?

Right:

Okay, I'll be doing a signing at Forbidden Planet in Shaftesbury Avenue on 5th April from 1 till 2. There'll be copies of the hardcover Line War and doubtless numerous others of my books, including paperback copies of Hilldiggers. Bring you old copies of my books and I'll sign them too ... bring copies of other people's books and I'll sign them, bring your electricity bill ... I'm not proud.

Hey Gaius, how you doing?

Right:

Okay, I'll be doing a signing at Forbidden Planet in Shaftesbury Avenue on 5th April from 1 till 2. There'll be copies of the hardcover Line War and doubtless numerous others of my books, including paperback copies of Hilldiggers. Bring you old copies of my books and I'll sign them too ... bring copies of other people's books and I'll sign them, bring your electricity bill ... I'm not proud.
    hey neal :-) i'm ok thanks, job sucks but what can you do....?

thanks for the info - i'm gonna try and come to your signing, then if you get bored i'll even buy you a drink if you like - hows that?!

A drink is always on the cards. I normally slip round the corner and get loaded before going home anyway.

haha cool i'm amazed you manage to make it home in that case.... 0.0

Here, check out fantasybookcritic where there's a Line War giveaway. There's also an interview with me to be found, which will soon, I believe, be updated.

got my line war HC today from amazon!! gonna start tonight