Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ship of Destiny

Registered avoider

Ship of Destiny

I just finished it and I'm interested in other opinions. Auntie Pam, this is not for you! Do not read this or it really will spoil the series for you. Go away!!

Spoilers ahead

I must admit, I skimmed a bit of this one; the political negotiations were killing me. I didn't quite understand the point of the Ronica/Serilla storyline; I felt that the length of it really dragged the story down. Overall, though, I really enjoyed it, but I think i missed some things.
    So what was the story with the Others? Did I miss something, or was that piece never resolved?

Where did all of the objects on the beach come from, and what was the significance of the dead kittens Kennit found? Why are the others afraid of cats, and what exactly were the others?

Also, why did the Rain Wild River turn to acid sometimes?

Why were some of the Rain Wilders more grotesque than others? If the growths had to do with their connection to dragons, it didn't make sense to me that Reyn wasn't very affected and yet his sisters were, since he was connected to Tintaglia for years.

I liked how everything came together in this one, yet it came together too well in some ways. I understood why the rape had to take place, but the fact that she was the one who was raped seemed too convenient to me. (I know I mentioned tghere were spoilers, but I just can't bring myself to totally give it away with names here!) Also, the way everyone ended up on the same ship was too much for me. It actually drew me out of the book a few times because it was so implausible. I know it was destiny, but it went too far for me, and I was a bit disappointed.

I loved what Hobb did with Kennit and Paragon. I thought Fitz and Nighteyes were original, but this was something else entirely. Her imagination is incredible, and her understanding of human behavior (as demonstrated in her characterization of Kennit) is unmatched in this genre. The realization of his multiple deaths and what that took from him was, well......the whole thing is still blowing me away. I loved reading about the other characters, but I'll be mulling over Kennit and Paragon for some time. Makes me want to read it again!

Blog Entries
    Among the top five most moving scenes in all of fantasy, for me, is when Paragon receives and cradles Kennit's body in his hands.....made me weep.
    Simply wonderful scene......Paragon's unconditional love and forgiveness of Kennit just blows me away every time I read it.

Quote Originally Posted by Eldanuumea
    Among the top five most moving scenes in all of fantasy, for me, is when Paragon receives and cradles Kennit's body in his hands.....made me weep.
    Simply wonderful scene......Paragon's unconditional love and forgiveness of Kennit just blows me away every time I read it.
    I agree. And I think the character of Paragon was so well written (pretty amazing, since he is a ship) given his past. He has taken away all of Kennit's miseries, and along with that, one of the life's that help quicken him was a child. And you see the conflict within Paragon, being rational and irrational in a moment's notice.

Registered avoider
    I was sobbing last night during that scene. I actually had to put the book down and take a few breaths before I went on. I can't remember the last time a scene in a book invoked such a strong emotional response. And of course, imagining it with Fitz's face.......it was almost unbearable!

Saturn Comes Back Around Evil Agent's Avatar
    I agree with a lot of what you said, cher. The book came together really well, but at times almost too conveniently. However the only thing that bothered me a bit was the length. As you said, it dragged a bit, especially with all the Bingtown politics which, to bo honest, weren't the most interesting or exciting politics ever.

SPOILERS ABOUT THE END

I remember wanting to know more about the Pirate Islands, and what was going to happen to them. I also wanted to know more about what happened to Wintrow... I can't remember right now, could someone remind me of Wintrow's Fate? Didn't Amber sort of fail her mission by not doing certain things...?

As for the Rain Wilds river, didn't the acid water have something to do with the whole dragons/wizardwood thing? I can't remember any details now, but I thought Hobb explained that one. I thought there was some kind of force in the rainwilds that altered their bodies, and the water, and everything else.

I don't think Hobb ever fully explains the Others beach, not even when it re-appears in Tawny Man. She explains who/what the Others are (which I won't mention right here), but as for all the objects...the debris of shipwrecks? Somehow ending up on the beach.. and all the little compartments in the cliffs, and the Other's spouting prophecies.. Yeah, that was pretty weird now that I think about it all. What were Kennit's kittens again, I can't remember that either?

In the end, I remember enjoying the series, but not as much as Farseer... mainly because of the length which to me wasn't really necessary. Maybe 100 pages less in each book would have been better..? Anyway, cher which series do you prefer, now that you've read them all?

Registered avoider
    Spoilers ahead

Evil Agent,

Wintrow ended up (sort of) with Queen Etta; as soon as Kennit went down, he stepped up and was suddenly in charge of the pirate fleet. (Huh?) Amber had prophesied that she had come to Bingtown to interact with a 9-fingered slave boy. She tried to pull something out of Wintrow at the end, to see if he felt that a connection between them had been missed, but he was too tired at the time to really pay attention to her. You are, I believe, supposed to get the impression that they were suppposed to connect somehow, yet, what would have become of Paragon had Amber not intervened? I believe that she needed to be exactly where she was. She and Wintrow would have had some amazing conversations, but they need "doers" around them to move things along.

You said she explained about the others. Did she do that in Tawny Man, or in the Liveship Traders?

As far as which series I like more....I'm really surprised at how much I ended up loving this series. It started out very slow for me, but it ended up being so meaningful. On the other hand, I just read it, so it's fresh in my mind. I would say that my love of Fitz makes Farseer my favorite trilogy. I think I actually liked Liveship Traders better than Tawny Man, though. I was disappointed in Fool's Fate. Just like Ship of Destiny, it seemed to go on and on, and was somewhat repetitive. The wrap-up with the Fool was a bit too dramatic for me; I felt that his character was somewhat diminished in that book.

That's too bad you felt that way about Fool's Fate. I see what you mean, but Fitz is one character that I can read about for ever... in Liveship the self indulgent length bothered me a bit, but in Farseer or Tawny Man I couldn't be happier!

As for the Others, I'll send you a pm about it.

I think Mrs Hobb left deliberately some loose threads and unanswered questions like the beach and its objects, in my opinion all this mysteries are the part of the magic and beauty of her world

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cher
    I was sobbing last night during that scene. I actually had to put the book down and take a few breaths before I went on. I can't remember the last time a scene in a book invoked such a strong emotional response. And of course, imagining it with Fitz's face.......it was almost unbearable!
    Oh my God! I never really thought of that till now......but yes, Amber carved Fitz's face for Paragon.
    Now that scene will be even more poignant and heart-wrenching for me......

Finished! I don't have anything original to say -- you guys covered the parts that impressed me the most too, especially Kennit and Paragon's story.

The book was too long by half, and I agree that the Serilla-Ronica-Bingtown political stuff dragged it down. I guess the "theme" of the book is partly how we adapt to change, so it was important that we know that this whole area of the world was changing. But the smaller changes -- Reyn, Malta, Selden, the serpents and dragons -- they were more involving than the political/social upheaval.

So will some of the loose ends be covered in Tawny Man? I think I'll read something else before going on. Six Hobb books in the last month or so is enough for me. I'm afraid I'll burn out, even though I miss Nighteyes -- a lot.

I'm disappointed in myself that I didn't pick up the connections quicker, but I'm old. That's my excuse.

Are you referring to Amber? I kept wanting to discuss her, but didn't want to give anything away!

Registered avoider
    So, what are you going to read now, Auntie Pam?

I'm reading The Turkish Gambit by Boris Akunin. It's short -- I need a break before more fantasy. I'll probably pick up Tawny Man when it's finished, haven't decided yet.

Yes, Amber -- there are lots of hints that she's the Fool. The wood carving and the golden tone to her hair and eyes and skin give it away. And then toward the end of Destiny when someone asks her who she is, she says something like "Some call me a fool, some a prophet." And of course, giving Paragon Fitz's face and his axe. That was cool.

What's the basic plot of the Tawny Man books? The dust jacket says Fitz is being called out of retirement.

That's a good way to put it. Basically it's Fitz re-entering the world of Farseer and Six Duchies politics, about 15 years later. And it ties up the trilogy of trilogies (all 9 books) quite nicely.

I found Amber the most amazing concept ever.. I couldn't believe Robin Hobb just switched the gender of one of her main characters, so succesfully and mysteriously. Personally what I liked the most was that I no longer knew whether the Fool was really a man or a woman, and which persona was the 'real' one...

Switching gender -- yeah, that reminded me of The Bone Doll's Twin a little bit.

There was another hint in the Farseer books about Amber/Fool, when he'd periodically (pun) get sorta sick, like his body was going through some kind of change.

I'm not having any trouble accepting this. It's easy, after seeing what happened with the serpents and the dragons.