Marianne de Pierres

Blogs - how much is too much?

I've been talking to people a lot about blogs.
    How much is too much? Can people be too personal or is it a case of 'the ore personal the better'?

MDP

Quote Originally Posted by MDP
    How much is too much? Can people be too personal or is it a case of 'the ore personal the better'?

MDP
    Wow, they can be too personal, I think...:-)

Maybe it looks nice and anonymous, with a nickname and stuff, but there's nothing anonymous about the internet.

I was writing on my blog the other day, telling about my two rabbits and what they were doing. I heard later that my father read the blog and said: "Ah, what a way to learn your daughter has two rabbits..." Oops

Marianne de Pierres
    Hi Phedre,

I tend to agree with you. And I think that some people use blogging as an excuse to be negative, disrespectful and devisive of others.

Because issues are rarely resolved via blog or e-mail discourse, misunderstandings tend to escalate.

I've seen this repeatedly and am finding it hard to find anything 'healthy' or productive about the whole thing.

MDP

Marianne de Pierres
    well I succumbed:

http://mdep.livejournal.com/

Just be aware that if it's on the web, it's accessible.

It's up to the individual to decide the degree of detail they are comfortable divulging.

Also remember that the web doesn't forget.

Having said that, blogs can be a lot of fun.

I AM too a mod! Moderator Rocket Sheep's Avatar
    Well I know I can't stand blogs about me, so I wouldn't impose that on anyone. I think they have to have a purpose, be informative and interesting... not many people have lives that interesting, but I used to read the blog of a unistudent a couple of years ago... she was funny, it was all about study and boys with no brains and an overbearing mother and an adopted sister who replaced her on the day she left home for uni. I also love Clotilde's blog, Chocolate and Zucchini about her odd French recipes. I read some agents and publishers blogs and some writers blogs because they're always full of juicy tidbits.

Yours seems to have a good informative style... I think it would be interesting to anyone in the spec fic genre in Aus. I friended you so I can keep tabs on it.

Marianne de Pierres
    Hi Bren,
    long time no hear. How are things?
    MDP

Oh you know what life is like with children, work and writing... like juggling eggs sometimes. You've been doing a bit of egg juggling yourself this year, haven't you? Margo Lanagan was down for the con, she had lots to say about balancing the writers life which was nice.

Did you read Simon Haynes article about blogging?

Quote Originally Posted by MDP

MDP
    One friend's very personal blog I read out of morbid curiosity a few times, I had to stop reading because it was "life according to them" and in no way related to reality. In this blog, the person could do no wrong and was always the victim which was so far from the truth it was ridiculous but all the blog's friends would chime in with support for this lopsided view of life. It helps to know all sides of a story and those poor blog friend's were totally sucked into supporting an unrealistic outlook on life. I don't think it was doing anyone any favours!

(I must've been busy in May)