I protest! This situation is intolerable and unfair...

Robin Hobb's third installment of The Liveship Traders is available in the UK but not here in the USA? What sort of half-baked conspiracy is this?

Robin Hobb is one of the best authors who writes the most captivating characters and exciting stories....and her latest book I have to wait for till September to get it in a US bookstore?! Forget that....amazon.uk here I come

//writes big shipping check

In all seriousness, is there a reason that this happened this way? Have all her novels come out in UK before the US release (I've only read her books over the last few months). I really don't think I'll be able to sleep at night unless I do order it from overseas...such a great story; such a great author.

A lot of novels come out in the UK before the US. I don't really know why, maybe it is easier to first print over there, then if it sells well, they give it to the american publisher...Actually, I'm not sure why.

-Book

I think it's got something to do with the UK market being so much smaller - a UK publisher can get a book out quicker and easier. And they often find they have a gap in their schedule before the US publisher does.

Let me assure you that Ship of Destiny is worth whatever you'll be paying for it...

*Glances smugly at her copy of Ship of Destiny, borrowed free from a London library*

That's an interesting point, and it makes a good bit of sense.

I have no doubt that Ship of Destiny will be worth paying whatever price for. I think Robin Hobb is probably my favorite author at this point in time; certainly one of the best authors to come out of the talent pool in a while.

King of the Lurkers. Moderator Keyoke's Avatar
    Well, I always thought that perhaps those authors are actually signed also with British Publishers, and that publisher is also connected with a affilate in the States, such as Bantam.

Hence, legally, they publish first in the UK< and then, after a duration of time, their American counter part gets to publish it.

I live in Canada, which, in regards to books, we are very very fortunate.. We get both UK publications in our book stores (Though, small), and American.

A other advantage is that when I ordered the book from Amazon.com.uk.. I ended only spending maybe 10 dollar more than if I wait till Sept and get it for cover price. And, if it's as good as I hope, it'd be worth it.

Plus, I prefer the UK covers. =)

Keyoke

I think I agree with Keyoke. I've got quite a few favorite authors in the UK and in Australia, and the books are released there first.

I usually prefer the American covers. Anyone know why they make multiple covers? Is there a specific reason, or is it just choice?

[This message has been edited by dramoth (edited May 08, 2000).]

I may interests you that "season of storms" book 3 of a "song of ice and fire" will be out in Brtain in June.

I also read about that topic in an Interview with Martin and he said he gave the manuscript to his British and American publishers at the same time, but the Brits would be faster.

Now i'm German and so don't know, but could the reason possibly lie in book trade fair, i know we in Germany have a big one in Autumn and many books are delayed by publishers to be introduced on that fair, perhaps something similar happens in America?

As for covers i think it's a matter of taste, of publishers and readers both, i for once certainly prefer the British ones.

Robin Hobb and Terry Pratchett are good examples for great British and sucking American covers.