Hybrid View

Wanted: Testreaders for Work in Progress

I'm currently writing a novel that's been brewing for years (the concept is older than my SFFworld membership).

It's working titled The Aimless One. It's a character centered fantasy story with a mystery plot. Instead of action, battles and lots of magic, there are many characters who are trying to figure out what the hell is going on, who they should trust and whether it's better to collaborate with political oppononents or to push your own agendas.

So far I have ~37.000 words, and I'm wondering if I'm on the right track. All I'm really interested in at this time is to see whether the story has the potential to engage interest. So, if you find the story boring, stop reading and tell me how far you got before you lost interest.

Any inconsistencies you find, or criticism you might have is most welcome, but probably won't be incorporated until the thing is finished. (I have my own criticism I'm ignoring for the time being.)

So, instead of a summary, here are the provisional chapter headings:

Part 1: Feyshore Paperwork; Message; Runaway; *Paranoia on the Brink of Sleep*; Interrogation; The Dancing Faerie; *Chain of Command*; Past, Present, Future; Seasick; Holy Halls; Tori; Council Meeting; Beginners Luck; Museum; Whispering Shadows; Circus; Blood on the Sheets; Hospital; Offer; Face the Factions; A Saint's Relic

Part 2: Suz Confession; Irony; Chaos Sorcery; Miracle Child; The Roving Village

Chapters between *^* will likely be cut; but pieces of information may have to be re-distributed, so I'll keep those "chapters" for now. Most chapters will be renamed (or they may just be numbered; or I may do away with chapters altogether...)

If you're interested, PM me with your e-mail adress and preferred format (doc or rtf; I suggest rtf, because it makes the file smaller; I can also zip up the file with Win-zip, if you like).

Congratz on getting so far !! Too bad I have a gimp computer and no MS Word. All mine is done on WordPad

I've been known to read a few things, every so often.

It sounds interesting. See PM.

B5

Thanks, for the interest so far.

A clarification, though: I do not have a finished draft yet.

There are 2 parts so far (and part 2 is only now launching into it's main focus); I imagine the finished draft will have 4 parts. (3 might suffice, I'll see.)

I'm posting this early, because I feel I'm currently stuck in a rut. Writing is easy, but not particularly engaging. Which is an odd experience for me, as usually words come hard to me, but I either love or hate what I write (at the time of writing). So, I'm worrying that it's got a bit boring lately.

Other people's perspectives tend to refresh mine, and vitalise the writing.

Quote Originally Posted by Dazzlinkat
    Congratz on getting so far !! Too bad I have a gimp computer and no MS Word. All mine is done on WordPad
    Thanks.

An rtf-file (rich-text-file-file... oops, I shoud say an "rtf", hehe...) should open alright in word pad. It's basically an improved txt-file with all the formats (such as bold, italics, colour, indentures...); it does not include macros etc. Since I have a very old Word-version (Word 7.0), I tend to request rtfs, as well.

So, thanks again. Preparing sendover of files.

Blog Entries
    Send it over Dawnstorm, I will try and look at it inbetween real life hitting me between the eyes lol....

Quote Originally Posted by Holbrook
    Send it over Dawnstorm, I will try and look at it inbetween real life hitting me between the eyes lol....
    Thanks, it's on its way.

Real life has far too good an aim...

Filthy Assistants! Moderator kater's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Ready, willing and able I've just read a very good fantasy political piece and am interested in reading some more.

Open source solution to MS Word

Quote Originally Posted by Dazzlinkat View Post
    Check out www.openoffice.org. It's an open source solution to Microsoft office. In other words, it's a free, and very robust word processor that uses the xml format for document creation. That means it can open MS Word documents without losing formatting.

Jon

Hi,

Holbrook and Dazzlinkat, I've just sent you the latest version. If it didn't come through, or came through garbled please PM me. Thanks for the interest.

Jongoff: Open Office is a good choice. I've started writing the thing on word, but now I'm writing it on OOwriter, even though I have access to word. I love the program!

I'm writing the thing in *.rtf, anyway, so nearly every program should be able to open it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dawnstorm View Post
    Hi,

Holbrook and Dazzlinkat, I've just sent you the latest version. If it didn't come through, or came through garbled please PM me. Thanks for the interest.

Jongoff: Open Office is a good choice. I've started writing the thing on word, but now I'm writing it on OOwriter, even though I have access to word. I love the program!

I'm writing the thing in *.rtf, anyway, so nearly every program should be able to open it.
    I concur, but don't tell anyone I said so. I work for Microsoft. Consequently I have the advantage of getting the software for the cost of a cd, and I do prefer Office over Open Office, but more because I am very familiar with it. I actually write my drafts in One Note, which allows me to organize everything under different tabs (much like a notebook), and then when I'm done I export it all to Word for editing.

I highly recommend it, if you have a hundred dollars to invest. (I have now redeemed myself in the eyes of my masters). Seriously, I'm not suggesting it because I work for the company that makes it, it really is good software. If you want to check it out for free Microsoft offers a free 60 day trial.

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/on...px?ofcresset=1

A competing title is Evernote, and the company has a stripped down version of it available for free. I find Evernote less intuitive to use, but here's a link to it as well.

http://www.evernote.com/en/

If anyone is interested, I have a list of tools I use when I write/edit available at my website, http://sommerstone.com/sumis/index.p...inks&Itemid=23

133.5k words and growing. Deary me.

I'm starting to see the setting better and better. Editing should be fun. But first, I'll finish.

Also, I really have to put in more rumours about the Aimless One (in the edit). Rumour must be a force in this one. It's half the story, but you wouldn't know from reading.