Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    I havent read a sample of your work but from my own experiences I tend not to decide how I want a scene to end. I know the start and finish of the book, everything else in between I let the characters decide.

Usually when I write, there is no conscious effort on my part to direct the story, perhaps the reason I am yet to discard a chapter or erase parts of it. The story lines have often surprised me when I read them afterwards. The twisted sub-conscious has more influence on the writing than moi. That said, let the writing develop, allow the stronger characters to dominate if that is how the story flows naturally, if need be, tell the story of the minor characters using a recall device or whatever they call it in another chapter. Gives you a chance to flesh them out then.

Quote Originally Posted by Dazzlinkat
    Dawnstorm, have you thought of writing the whole scene completely from each POV? Since you already know how you want the scene to go, you can focus on just that character through the scene. I know this means alot more writing, but when your done you can THEN write your scene using snatches from each POV as you want without worries of losing touch with the characters.
    That may very well happen. However, I'll have to finish the scene once before I can think of finishing it again...

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowstorm
    I havent read a sample of your work but from my own experiences I tend not to decide how I want a scene to end. I know the start and finish of the book, everything else in between I let the characters decide.

Usually when I write, there is no conscious effort on my part to direct the story, perhaps the reason I am yet to discard a chapter or erase parts of it. The story lines have often surprised me when I read them afterwards. The twisted sub-conscious has more influence on the writing than moi. That said, let the writing develop, allow the stronger characters to dominate if that is how the story flows naturally, if need be, tell the story of the minor characters using a recall device or whatever they call it in another chapter. Gives you a chance to flesh them out then.
    Yes, that usually works very well for me, too. Letting the scene take care of itself that is.

I always have a plan before I write a scene, but usually the scenes play out differently while writing. I can't tell you how often I've designed a scene around a specific conclusion, only to notice that the conclusion doesn't fit with the scene I've written (and thus it concludes differently). I have no problem with that, letting go and just write the scene.

The problem with this one isn't that I can't get to the end I envisaged. It's that as soon as let go, as soon as I try to let the story take over, nothing happens. The only way to push through this one seems to be tooth grinding work. And that's strange, as this hasn't happened to me with other scenes (or, it has, actually, but I just ditched them; I can't ditch this one, though, as it's thematically important [even if it's not - yet? - important plot-wise]).

(Of course, you could always threaten your characters with your mighty eraser if they dont sort themselves properly for this scene.)
    Oh, they know I need them more than they need me. The bastards!

I haven't finished the scene yet. But I will!

Intresting, once had that problem, actually it was after I wrote the prologue to the book. Couldnt think of how to get the characters past the first three pages, I promptly wrote a different slant which ended up as chapter six in the book. Basically put 6-9 down before i came back to wrestle with the now easy problem of how to reveal the principal characters in the first few chapters as writing the later chapters somehow seem to resolve it.

You might want to try that, it dosent take away from what you want to put down, you already know that but the slant the later chapters will put on it will decide how the dialogue in the stuck on chapter scene goes.

Hm, that might work.

I'll try to finish this, and see what comes of it, and if I fail...

'tis written.

*Wipes sweat from brow*

2.8 k words. A long scene, in the context of this work.

Yayyyy!! What did you have to bribe your chars with?

Yayyyy!! What did you have to bribe your chars with?
    Told them, if they don't behave they're stuck in this scene forever.

Next, a scene with lots of animal figurines made of glass.

And who doesn't love lots of animal figurines made of glass? I know I do!

I've only managed to get through Paperwork, I've been busy. But what I have read is EXTREMELY good. It's well written, and I happen to find the style easy to read. The words really flow, if you know what I mean. My only problem is I can't see it. Of course, I'm a detail freak when it comes to my own writing, constantly obsessing over details with the "show them, don't tell them" line running through my head. In other words, take the detail criticism lightly, as its partly due to my own obsessive compulsiveness

I'm really enjoying this so far. Keep up the good work!

Hmmm ... shades of The Glass Menagerie?

Quote Originally Posted by Avi Morgan
    I've only managed to get through Paperwork, I've been busy. But what I have read is EXTREMELY good. It's well written, and I happen to find the style easy to read. The words really flow, if you know what I mean. My only problem is I can't see it. Of course, I'm a detail freak when it comes to my own writing, constantly obsessing over details with the "show them, don't tell them" line running through my head. In other words, take the detail criticism lightly, as its partly due to my own obsessive compulsiveness

I'm really enjoying this so far. Keep up the good work!
    Hi,

Thanks for the feedback. The lack of descriptions/minimal description thing is part of my style, although a bit more detail may creep in with the editing (a word here, a word there...) I like to grant my readers maximum imaginative freedom.

I've been warned, though, that - if I don't describe my characters right away - and I'll add a detail or two later, it may clash with the model the reader has created. That's something I'll have to be careful about when editing.

I intend to give my world a more distinct look in the final draft, though.

And who doesn't love lots of animal figurines made of glass? I know I do!
    Hmmm ... shades of The Glass Menagerie?
    Interesting association, Dazzlinkat. I had the same when I was typing the line into the thread. I know little about the play apart from the title, but sometimes I do think I see parallels to Tennessee Williams plays in my novel...

What actually happened:

Remember how I made a reference to Sarcavan glass in the 100-years-ago episode right at the beginning? Sarcava is a desert city on the Southern continent, with a culture based on glass. They're quite advanced in optical instruments (they have microscopes, for example). They also do glass art.

The model for the figurines are glass crystal sculptures done by Swarovski. A shop around the corner, where I live, sells these. (Example: Chameleon; they're quite expensive, and much prettier in shop windows.)

Sorry for not getting back earlier. My graphics card died, and I'm currently waiting for a replacement. I'm typing this from an internet café. Don't expect me back before Tuesday, probably not before Thursday.

And thanks again for the feedback.

Oh, the pain of fallen computers! Maybe you can practice your handwriting skills while you wait

My handwriting skills suck and I like it that way

Internet cafes... bleh! I feel for you.

Handwriting, The Lost Art.

Chapter One: Dawnstorm discovers writing with physical implements allows for a closer bond between writer and characters. But ... his characters love to mutiny! Will this be a friendly bond or get him too close to their clutches!

Those are cute figurines! Now am wondering what your going to do with em!!
    Last edited by Dazzlinkat; October 21st, 2006 at 03:43 PM.

Still in an internet café. (It appears the hard-drive may be damaged; the one that runs windows; I've got a secondary one which has my novel, so that should be safe. If not, the monster scene would be gone - Aarrggh! - but little else [as I have a back up] - phew!).

Actually, I did dig up an old notebook (a thing made of paper, not a portable computer), which - incidentally - had very old versions of the novel in them. Quite different, and - unfortunately - dreadful to read...

I've hand-written most of the stories in the past. To this day, I hand-write poetry (doesn't work too well on screen, though I've done that too). I'm unable to type a hand-written script without editing, though, so the only way you'd ever read a 1:1 hand-written script of mine is to actually see the original (and some originals are on the margins or covers of schoolbooks...).

Thematically, the animal figurines will be used to sneak in the animal vs. man distinction. It's been in the background before, but now I'm going to slide it to the fore a bit. Plotwise... hmm....

Strangely, I kept thinking about the setting for the high conflict scene near the end, recently. And a post conclusion scene as well (about seven years in the future; perhaps an epilogue?).

Whatever I do, I want it to be a standalone.

Oh, good! Gotta love back-ups! (Of course, you need to make sure your back-ups dont get damaged, too)

Sounds like your still focused, which is great! Notebooks to the rescue!