Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Another trick you can do if you want to know what someone is doing is to click on the edit/delete message icon above their post.

[This message has been edited by Zeddicus (edited November 18, 1999).]

You can also post graphics for your signature.

Zeddicus

[This message has been edited by Zeddicus (edited November 18, 1999).]

Cool, I shall give it a try!!

I would really sugest you read the exile duology by angus wells its an awsome series.

If you have not read the Belgariad by David Edding, you should give that a try. Piers Anthony is really good for the first 2-3 books in a series, after that he REALLY starts to go downhill. I mean fast! The first few Xanth books are worth reading if you are in the mood for some humor. Terry Pratchett is another great fantasy humorist. I agree with Dragon, Legends is a great way to become familiar with some authors who you may not have checked out otherwise.

I'll try to throw up a few here that haven't already been said.

Ship of Magic and Mad Ship by Robin Hobb, are simply excellent. Adventure on the high seas has never been better (and don't think that all you're getting is a pirate story).

The Waterborn and Blackgod by Gregory Keyes. I read these a year ago after meeting him at a convention. He was such a cool guy and interesting that I gave his books a try, and they were excellent. Once he's done writing his SW novel, I hope he'll return to full-blown fantasy again.

I've read Lord of the Isle, but can't rember too much about it (been reading way to much lately); I've got the other two in the series on my 'to read' shelf, so it must have been pretty good.

[This message has been edited by Cellandros (edited January 21, 2000).]

I've also enjoyed the Belgariad along with the Mallorean. The Mallorean is a follow up series that continues the story of the Belgariad . The Elenium and the Tamuli by Eddings were also very good. They were two series revolving around a Pandion knight named Sparhawk.
    I've recently read the first two books of the Runelord series by David Farland and found them to be interesting. The way the characters obtain power is very unique. They can obtain traits from others such as brawn, stamina, wit, sight, and hearing that will enhance their own abilities. Naturally, there is a price to pay, for the recipient and the giver.
    My most recent adventure is in the first book of the Lord Of The Isles series by David Drake. I've read some reviews that say his characterization is poor. I don't agree. I feel he has portrayed the nature of his characters very well. Of course there are a few surprises about their background and/or abilities but the characters themselves didn't even know about them. Why should we know before they do? I already have book two and there is a third one out.
    I've read the first eight books of the Xanth series by Piers Anthony and enjoyed the humor of the series. The characters are pretty interesting also. I did last more than 2-3 books but admit that I have no interest in continuing the series.

[This message has been edited by Dragon (edited February 03, 2000).]

I also read the Belgariad, the Malloreon and the Elenium by Eddings and I think they're very good, but the story is always the same - the hero has to travel all over the continent to solve his problem... he describes a peaceful world.
    One question I have is: how do you manage to read all that stuff? I am not a very fast reader (expecially not when I'm reading English books), but there are so much books I want to read that I don't even thind of looking for 'new' authors...
    However, another seria I like very much is the 'Enwor' Saga by Hohlbein. He's a german writer and I don't know if any of his books have been translated into English, but he is definitely my favourite German fantasy-writer (I admire his style).
    Liselle

try JVjones shes very good

Okay...so what if one has read:

all Eddings
    all Goodkind
    all Jordan
    all Farland
    all Martin
    all Drake
    all Stewart
    all Tolkien
    *most* Modesitt
    *most* Rawn
    *most* Anthony
    all Bradley Zimmer
    *most* Feist
    all Williams
    all Roberson
    one Wurt
    and most Lackey books plus a ton others. I am getting desperate !

What should I read now I keep waiting for WOT !!!!

[This message has been edited by Cersei (edited March 24, 2000).]

'MOST' Rawn? You blasphemer, how can you claim to be short of books when you haven't devoured every scrap of Melanie Rawn's writing? Do so NOW! And then reread them all. And then you'll forget all about WoT.

And I second the Robin Hobb recommendation...the Farseer trilogy is a bit dull, but the Liveship Traders - wow.

And then there's T H White's The Once and Future King.

And have you tried Anne McCaffrey? Dragonflight is incredible, even if the rest of her stuff does go downhill.

Cersei, you may want to try the following (if you havent' already)

Bob Salvatore's Demon Wars series
    C. S. Friedman's Coldfire series

and, I hate to keep harping on them, but you should definately pick up any book by Robin Hobb or Gregory Keyes.

I'd give you some more off-the-wall slightly less mainstream novels to try, but most of them are out of print, and impossible to find.

King of the Lurkers. Moderator Keyoke's Avatar
    Books to read, C.. Well, no one recommends this author much, cause, he isnt overly read, but, never the less, a amazing author.

Glen Cook!

Read The Black Company series.. Excellent EXCELLENT series... Very gritty and dark..=)

Also, Martha Wells (Death of a Neuromancer)

Great books!

Thanks Keyoke! I was reading through all the posts, and getting ready to ask if any recommended the Black Company, and there it was at the end!

Looking for something different? Do yourself a favor. Read Gene Wolfe's Book of the New Sun. The four book series, which has won Nebula and World Fantasy Awards, is available in a two volume set - Shadow & Claw and Sword & Citadel. The story, world, and characters are unique and original, and Wolfe's writing is brilliant. It'll make you feel.

[This message has been edited by Malrubius (edited April 25, 2000).]