View Poll Results:

Voters
0. You may not vote on this poll
  • 0 0%
Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Exclamation The Gift vs The Riddle

Alright all of Alisons books are great but one of them has to be better than the other. I think i prefer the Gift because it has more action and it introduces Rachida and other new places. Plus it has Cadvan who isn't in the Riddle much due to his fatal accident. What about everyone else?
    Last edited by Elidhu; August 16th, 2005 at 04:05 PM.

both are great and i cant choose between them.

I think the riddles better, by a tiny bit,I dont know why though..........

Quote Originally Posted by Becks
    I think the riddles better, by a tiny bit,I dont know why though..........
    ditto there...

BoA Manager
    I always find the first books the best. so i like The Gift better than the Riddle but i enjoyed them both.

The same happened with Dark Jewel Trilogy (which i've just finished) and LOTR. maybe it's a me thing.

i am curious though which book Alison think's is better. From a writers perspective i think it'll be interesting to know bcoz The Gift was the first, tis all.

~ Tari

Hmm, the Riddle or the Gift?

I suppose i like the Riddle more for it's character development, that's always nice AND the wonderful little scene on Owan's boat between Maerad and Cadvan (it's something that us M+C shippers love to cling to ). Yet, really, the Gift will always have a special place in my heart b/c it was first, and the book that introduces you to a world for the first time is always special in that way...

i prefere the gift

Thumbs down

Not more Cadvan and Maerad stuff pur...lease, there are already too many threads for their dubious relationship. Instead tell me who do you think would win a fight between Cadvan and Maerad??? There was plenty of fights between them in the Riddle and Maerad said a couple of times that she wanted to hit him. It didn't take much to set her off when she killed that bard from Lirigon. Maybe Cadvan will argue with her and in her anger her mage powers will burst uncontrollably from her? Do you think Cadvan would be able to fend her off or could he end up as a bunny rabbit?

aww cadvan would make a cute bunny rabbit. lol well i think mearad would win because, the foretold one has to be more powerful then absulutly everyone or there wouldnt be much point her being the chosen one would there? i mean if everyone was as powerful as she is(nt that shes reached her full potential yet i dont think) then the nameless one wouldnt have even the slightest chance of taking over again.

id like a rabbit

hmm... cadvan as a babbit...

anyway, i somehow think cadvan would refuse to fight maerad, and then her steam would blow off... i mean, why would she want to fight a unmoving object...?

anyway i dont like to think of cadvan being injured on maerad's account... *pushes horrible, bad thoughts to back of mind*

I think it's clear that Maerad has more innate power than Cadvan, but Cadvan controls his power and knows how to use it much better. I think it would be an interesting fight if it happened/happens ... I agree with Aras though; that Cadvan would most likely refuse to fight Maerad, and vice versa. But you never know what's gonna happen.

I enjoyed The Gift more than The Riddle. But they were both fantastic!

yup its hard to decide there both so good

Fwiw - since authors are no good as readers of their own works - I think that the books are (so far anyway) getting better as they go along. I suspect The Crow is my favourite. No doubt others will disagree... From my point of view I think the writing is getting better as I learn how to write this stuff, and the complexities are playing out...and also, with the following two books, nobody can accuse me of ripping off Tolkien since I pay my all my dues in The Gift...(but I've already said what I think about the difference between being "derivative" and "influenced")...

Quote Originally Posted by alison
    Fwiw - since authors are no good as readers of their own works - I think that the books are (so far anyway) getting better as they go along. I suspect The Crow is my favourite. No doubt others will disagree... From my point of view I think the writing is getting better as I learn how to write this stuff, and the complexities are playing out...and also, with the following two books, nobody can accuse me of ripping off Tolkien since I pay my all my dues in The Gift...(but I've already said what I think about the difference between being "derivative" and "influenced")...
    Just about every fantasy writer is compared to Tolkien at some stage. It's ridiculous and everyone who's read your books can see monstrous differences. I think people that don't know what else to say just say it reminds them of Tolkien.