Uh, Moderator

Something I read...

I was reading through these reviews the other day and found one
    that talked about another set of fantasy novels set in a city in the desert
    defending against an army. I can't seem to find any further reference to it
    though, so I was wondering if anyone could help me out with the name or
    author of the book. I was pretty sure it was in a Terry Brooks review, or maybe Terry Goodkind.

In Terry Brooks, there was a few chapters(okay, it was more like half the book) where the characters were in a city of stone, but there wasn't an army, just a large group of gnomes. It is called THe Druid of Shannara and it is the second book in the series, The Heritage of Shannara. THe first book is the Scions of Shannara. Hope that could help.

Uh, Moderator
    Nope - whoever wrote it was pretty much saying that popular fantasy was pretty crap and depthless and unoriginal, and pointed out two authors I have never heard of, one of whom wrote this novel he pointed out.

Well, the science fiction novel Dune takes place in a desert world, but I'm sure you already know of it.

Uh, Moderator
    Yep - read Dune. Looks like I'll just have to live on wondering...

King of the Lurkers. Moderator Keyoke's Avatar
    Can you give us some other clues? Which review did it appear in. I briefly scanned over the reviews under Terry Brooks, and only gazed at the odd one under Terry Goodkind..

The only book I have read which uses a siege theme, and not overly, is Garden's of the Moon, by Erikson, but, I doubt that is the one.

The WHite Rose by Glen Cook has soldier living in a deser called 'The Plains of Fear', but, no real siege work..

Keyoke

The last three books in Glenn Cooks "black company series" are completely set during sieges, though the cities/fortresses in question aren't in a desert.

What about Ray Feist's book with the seige of Armengar? That took place in a city in the desert....

Neologic, I don't think that's it. Armengar wasn't exactly in the desert, more like some rocky hillside country.

Uh, Moderator
    Nothing there sounds like it guys. Guess I'm stuck wondering... :-(

It's been a long while since I've read it but I believe Melanie Rawn had a series called the Dragon Star. It had some battles in the desert with an invading army. She also had a Dragon Prince series but I didn't read that one.

Uh, Moderator
    Thanks Dragon - I just had a look in the reviews section, and it sounds very similar to the idea I got from whoever was talking about it.
    Looks like I'll give it a shot!

I started with the second trilogy "Dragon Star" because someone gave it to me for Christmas. I went ahead and read it without going to the original trilogy "Dragon Prince" therefore I don't know what the first one is like. The one I read was pretty good and I may go back and read the first 3 books. I tried another one of her books "The Ruins Of Ambrai" I believe, from the Exiles series. It was fair, especially if you are trying to burn a little time until you can get your hands on a good book.

[This message has been edited by Dragon (edited June 14, 2000).]