Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

X-men 3 the last stand (possible spoliers!)

HEy guys I just watched X-men 3

I was entertained but disappointed.

I thought the characters became more archetypal. The film lacked the emotional depth and character development that the other films had.

The action was predictable and kind of silly

The whole thing was just a superficial whiz bang spectacular.

I wish Bryan singer would have been in on this one.

He was really starting to get it right by X-2

People complain about the lack of action in the previous films.

i guess it really comes down to why you were into the x-men in the first place.

The cool characters and the dynamics between the personalities?
    The powers and fights?
    The social political ramifications of being a mutant?

I thought a good balance of all these things were in x-2

X-3 was just too dumbed down and cliche

It makes me sad

I don't want this to be a precedent to making a few good films, then putting out trash on the momentum built up from a quality start. (comic book films that is.)

Hope they maintain the quality of the spider man flicks

Registered as What?
    Just saw a few hours ago and am highly disappointed and frustrated at the whole trilogy.

Why? Well, for a lack of a better word, the trilogy and this movie especially had no heart. What I mean by 'No Heart" is that the one piece that always made the X-men the X-Men is missing. The sense of family and the utter mis-use and abuse of my favorite character Cyclops/Scott Summers.

For me, Scott was always the heart of the X-men, it might have been Xavier's Dream, but Scott was its soul. In the movies though, we have a Cyclops that shows No leadership skills, no charisma and the supposed love that he has with Jean has barely a pulse.

The dialogue in the movie between Jean and Logan/Wolverine would have been better spoken by Scott. In fact as the movie ran, I pictured the dialogue between Jean and Logan being spoken by Scott. It fit much better.

Without Scott and truely showing what type of hero that he is/was totally ruined the trilogy for me. The first two focused on Wolverine and Xavier and Magneto and I could accpet this; because I was waiting for this third one. And what do we get? Characters going through the paces with exceptions to the Storm and Beast characters. They were actually entertaining and true to their comic forms.

Even with some of the spectacular fight scenes and some fun cameos, the movie was flat and dare I say, boring. I was kind of rooting for Magneto and his Brotherhood throughout the movie. Again, it had to do with heart and the X-men really didn't have any. The passion between Jean and Logan seemed forced, like the writer's thought that this what everyone wanted in Movie-goer land. It just came off as trite and awkward and incredibly unbelievable, at least to me.

Yes, X-Men: The Last Stand will make its money, but it won't make it into my heart.

Who Watches the Watchmen? thefalcon's Avatar

Angry

Oh, dear..........

I got hooked on X-Men after the first movie....which I thought was Excellent. I thought that it was one of the best movies that I've seen in a long time. For this reason, I was wary of X2, thinking that it would be a bad sequel. It wasn't. So, it was with high hopes that I walked into the Movie theater this Saturday to see X3.
    Those Hopes were shattered almost immediatly.
    Of course, I knew that there was a new Director, but I thought, "How bad can it be?"
    I was about to find out.
    The main point of X3 seemed to be a pathetic attempt to live up to the preceeding two movies, with a little (LITTLE) plot on the side. I must admit, I was looking foreward to seeing Beast and Angel....who ended up being pretty much detail characters. Things started going downhill pretty fast-I loathe flashbacks. The dialogue and acting was forced and fake-sounding.....except For Ian McKellan, who is always good, even when the rest of the movie sucks I was almost relieved when they FINALY got to the battle at the end. For a movie with a running time of about an hour and a half, it seemed REALLY long.
    And then, they set up for a sequel.
    If they DO ever make X4, they had better get Mr. Singer back to Direct.
    I'm not sure who directed X3, but he needs to spend some time in solitary confinement thinking about all the bad things he's done to this movie.

If an X4 happens, I somehow can't see Singer returning. It would be a step back for him, after having left the X-men mythos to direct the Superman Returns movie. Likewise, there's the issue of how many of the star-studded cast would want to reprise their roles. They already had trouble getting the likes of Halle Berry and Famke Jannsen back for this one (and I'm even more surprised that Ian McKellen signed on again).

What I could see happening is a spin-off movie, perhaps with some of the younger cast like Pacquin, who has expressed an interest in doing another one.

Registered as What?
    Quote Originally Posted by thefalcon

I'm not sure who directed X3, but he needs to spend some time in solitary confinement thinking about all the bad things he's done to this movie.
    Brett Ratner, who directed "Rush Hour" and "Red Dragon" both adequate movies, but nothing earth shattering.

Saturn Comes Back Around Evil Agent's Avatar
    I'm surprised no one has mentioned this yet:

I'm pretty sure it's already confirmed that the next movie will be a PREQUEL, based only on the character of WOLVERINE.

Anyway, I'm really disappointed to hear how bad X3 is. This wasn't a perfect franchise, but it was one of the better comic book ones. I will still see it, probably this week, but I'm not expecting very much.
    Last edited by Evil Agent; June 2nd, 2006 at 12:01 AM.

Evil Agent,

I don't think you'll find that X3 is really bad ... The consensus, as far as I can see, is that it mainly falls down when held to the high standards of the previous two movies.

I want to be a princess sic's mom's Avatar

X-Men

Ok so who has seen the movie? I really enjoyed it, but I know that if I was a really huge fan of the comics I would take exception with a lot that happened in this movie. And even though this is supposed to be the last one I think I can say they left it wide open. I have heard they are talking about maybe doing a movie on just Wolverine. Where he came from and how he got the way he is. So how did everyone like the movie?

I want to be a princess sic's mom's Avatar
    Ok, never mind found the discussion in TV and Films. Still to early for me. Better get another cup of coffee.

[MOD EDIT: LOL. I have moved the thread to Film & TV and merged it with the present discussion on X Men 3, sic's mom. Hobbit]

X3 was really good.

I don't know if its because I lowered my expectations... But I just saw X-Men 3, and I really enjoyed the movie. In fact, I think it might have even been the best one. Yet another reason to stop putting any faith in movie critics.

I know a lot of reviews say that the new director is not as good, and that the departure of Bryan Singer hurt the X-Men series. But I'm not so sure. I always found the first two X-Men films to be a little slow, with too many boring and cheesy moments, and not enough action. For a series about mutants with superpowers, the movies were defnitely a little lacking in the super-department. I enjoyed both films, but always felt they were a little stiff, overlong, and dragged in parts. Sort of like the first two Harry Potter films.

This 3rd X-Men film is both A) shorter, and B) more action packed, which are big improvements. It is also darker. And contrary to some reviews, I don't think this was done at the expense of character and story. There were many powerful moments in the film, regarding Jean, Cyclops, and other characters, perhaps the most powerful moments in the series thus far.

Beast was cool. Juggernaut was funny. Storm was less annoying than usual. Plus, as always, Patrick Stewart and (especially) Ian McKellen were fabulous. Magneto is the man. I had heard this was definitely the final X-Men film, which is why I was quite surprised by the ending which leaves the door open...

Oh yeah, best Stan Lee cameo I've seen so far (including Spiderman, Hulk, etc.)

Lastly, did anyone stay until the end of the credits? If not, you missed out!
    Last edited by Evil Agent; June 3rd, 2006 at 03:23 AM.

First let me say that I'm not a comic book reader. I enjoyed the first movie, thought the second was weak and X3 was awful.

There is little story here, and what there is makes little sense. Too many characters, too many deaths and too predictable.

Priestvyrce you said Scott/Cyclops was the soul...I didn't get that at all. All he did in the first two movies was whine and complain. (I guess you are basing that on the comics?)

I was left with a few glaring questions

1> Juggernaut - Can someone explain how he got out of the floor? The movie said once moving he couldn't be stopped, yet the girl stopped him and trapped him in the floor. He had no momentum, so no power.(He did have the best line in the film however.)

2> What is the point/power of Beast? - Seems like he was Wolverine with blue hair and a suit.

I think Singer should have stayed with Xmen, he had a feel for the characters and storyline...and Superman looks really bad. I also don't think we need a Wolverine movie, since he was the star (other then Magneto) of these three.

Too many characters, too many deaths and too predictable.
    I disagree. The new characters were great. But what happened to Nightcrawler?? I was disappointed not to see him.

Juggernaut - Can someone explain how he got out of the floor?
    I agree, that was a bit strange. But I don't think it was his momentum power, I think it had to be his mutant strength... he just busted out of the floor.
    2> What is the point/power of Beast? - Seems like he was Wolverine with blue hair and a suit.
    I didn't read much of the comics either, but I know that Beast always looked like a blue Wolverine. I think he is just a well loved character that was due for an appearance in the films. He kicks ass as a fighter, and he's also their link to the White House. I liked him.
    ...and superman looks really bad.
    I think I agree with you here. Although the second trailer I saw was a tiny bit better, I still don't know about this. I'm not a big Superman fan, for some reason.
    I also don't think we need a Wolverine movie, since he was the star (other then Magneto) of these three.
    You don't think we need a Wolverine movie, because he and Magneto were already the stars. But did you know: They are apparently making a Wolvering and a Magento spin off!
    Last edited by Evil Agent; June 4th, 2006 at 12:36 AM.

I also don't think we need a Wolverine movie, since he was the star (other then Magneto) of these three.
    A popular character in an ensemble cast of a financially successful franchise played pitch perfect by a charismatic actor who admits publicly he wants to participate in the spinoff project that will make his character the star of yet another franchise.
    No point in doing any movies there.

In addition to that and the Magneto film, there's talk of a Storm spinoff as well.
    Last edited by ArthurFrayn; June 4th, 2006 at 03:10 AM.

I saw it last night, there were some things I didn't like, this new dude doesn't have gift for the creepy/quirkiness like Bryan Singer. Overall I enjoyed it though.

X-men run buck-wild on some random trash mutants for awhile, my BOY Iceman finally gets to shine a bit, and you've gotta love watching Juggernaut go apesh!t on everybody.

Which leads me to say how brilliant is a character like Wolverine in a story like this? With that healing factor you get to see every single whoever go full tilt on him with their powers, he feels every last inch of pain from it, heals, kills them and moves on to the next pain delivery. It's just such a great way to showcase everybody else's powers IMO.

Oh yeah I think the only beneficial side to Beast's powers is that he's like damn strong and really agile. On top of that he's comic-book-genius Jones, he's one of the more entertaining walking contradictions out there IMO. No healing factor or claws though

In addition to that and the Magneto film, there's talk of a Storm spinoff as well.
    This does worry me. Mainly because I hate Halle Berry, and I don't think she's nearly as attractive as most people say she is.

On the other hand, she wasn't as bad in X-3 as she was before. If they made the script really good, I guess a Storm movie might be okay.

Actually, that could be really cool if they make all 3 of those spin offs. It would be like a 2nd X-Men trilogy, a trilogy of stand-alone stories; Storm, Wolverine, Magneto.