Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Sex-free fantasy? Please recommend

Hello,

I've enjoyed reading this forum; you guys really know your stuff. Sorry if this has been posted somewhere but I didn't see any threads of this nature.

This may seem kind of strange but I'm looking for fantasy books in which, throughout, sex between any of the characters never happens nor is implied.

The books can be of any type or quality, so long as they'd fit in the fantasy genre.

Any suggestions would be mucho appreciated.

Thank you

Defender of Cononicals Physics Knight's Avatar
    Ursela LeGuin's original Earthsea trillogy--a Wizard of Earthsea, the Tombs of Atuan, and the Farthest Shore--is completely sex free, and to boot the wizards purposely do away with their sexual desires. Oh, and Lord of the Rings.

Beyond that, I think it is pretty hard to find anything that does not even imply sex, because sex is so universal to the human experience that it is a little hard for an author to leave it out without the thing feeling unrealistic. Even many young adult books (like Tamora Pierce) discuss it and it happens off the page, when no sex is directly shown. Even Harry Potter implies sex between characters. I think your best bet is to go for children's books like Narnia and the Prydain chronicles if you want to avoid all sex.

The Narnia books have implied sex though, certainly in the final volume.

Sex is part of human existence and most writers incorporate it, even off-page, into their books. Finding a book without it even being referred to by deduction (such as characters having children such as in Feist's Magician) would be vritually impossible.

I think the OP meant actual sex scenes, and scenes that lead up to sexual actions, you know, the scenes where the two characters are humping each others legs, then you turn the page, and its the next day and their cuddling.

Sex is part of human existence and most writers incorporate it, even off-page, into their books. Finding a book without it even being referred to by deduction (such as characters having children such as in Feist's Magician) would be vritually impossible.
    Hehe, or a any characters for that matter.

Why? Despite all the unusual things in fantasy novels they're usually about people and people screw?

Clarification might help a bit- is what you are looking for a book that has no sexuality at all- or are you looking for a book where sexuality is in a healthy family context and is not explicitly described? You would be hard pressed to find a book that entirely excludes sexuality because as others have said it is an innate part of the human experience. However, there are many examples of books in which a more family-friendly sexuality is expressed but not explicitly described. Some thoughts though:

In addition to the previously mentioned C. S. Lewis, Lloyd Alexander, and Tolkien-

Madeleine L'Engle
    • A Wrinkle in Time
    • A Wind in the Door
    • A Swiftly Tilting Planet

Stephen Lawhead
    • In the Hall of the Dragon King
    • The Warlords of Nin
    • The Sword and the Flame

Patricia McKillip
    • Riddlemaster Trilogy
    • The Tower at Stony Wood
    • Ombria in Shadow
    • The Book of Atrix Wolfe
    • A Song for Basilisk
    • Alphabet of Thorn
    • Odd Magic

Gordon Dickson
    • The Dragon and the George
    • The Dragon Knight
    • All the other Jim Eckert books...

I apologize if I'm wrong about any of these, but as I recall, all of them are fairly devoid of overt sexuality.

Wow, thanks for the tips guys.

If it would help to clarify... for me to enjoy a story I must be able to sympathize with the characters. For very complicated reasons, when a story's character has sex, or has child, or anything indicating that, I immediately lose interest in the character, and thus, the story. (Even so much as "so-and-so eventually had a descendant" qualifies.) Needless to say it has made finding a readable book very difficult.

Indeed, the act is an innate part of humanity, which is why the fantasy genre should be able to include works "fantastic" enough to escape something so common. At least, that's the idea.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ironhill View Post
    Why? Despite all the unusual things in fantasy novels they're usually about people and people screw?
    The Lord of the Rings has no sex and very little implied sex.

For very complicated reasons, when a story's character has sex, or has a child, or anything indicating that, I immediately lose interest in the character, and thus, the story.
    I have some odd turn-offs in books, I have heard of even more odd turn-offs then mine. But that has to be the most odd of all. You are a very interesting person.

Everyone has already suggested any books I could think of off the top of my head. As said previously, there are not many books like that. But I will ask around and brainstorm and attempt to come up with some more if I can.

Speculative Horizons Moderator JamesL's Avatar
    If I recall correctly, I don't think of Terry Brooks' Shannara novels (the original ones at least) don't have any sex in them. Don't think many of Feist's novels do either.

There is certainly the suggestion that sex is about to happen in the Magician books, not to mention characters with children later on. Personally I'd put these books in the "no-sex" category going by normal definition, but there are definitely references to it happening.

Honestly, if your definition of sex in a book includes characters having children, I think you've ruled out a lot of the major fantasy series out there, including those which continue long enough that characters will inevitably get married and reproduce.

Palkardesh, stick to Young Adult fantasy and you should be fine.

You all are nice. Thanks for not calling me a freak or some such.

I read Lord of the Rings almost throughout. Part way through the last book I simply lost interest. All in all it was a good read, though some parts seemed unnecessarily lofty.

Feist's Talon of the Silver Hawk was the last book I attempted, after seeing some praise of his work throughout this forum. The main character did not even last four chapters; it was very disappointing.

Of course my options are severely limited by choice, but hey, you can't help what you like.

Looks like I'll have some research and acquisition to conduct, hooray!

Quote Originally Posted by goldhawk View Post
    The Lord of the Rings has no sex and very little implied sex.
    Hmmm, 'Hello i am Aragorn son of Arathorn...' etc. etc. People talk about their parents all the time -> sex. Aragorn is in love with that elf, does a love subplot, be it ever so lofty, still count as implied sex? At the end Sam marries Rose and has kids -> sex.

Palkardesh, why do you loose sympathy for a character when they have sex? What about if they kill 100 orcs?

For a book without any implied sexuality at all I reccomend Kreysig - Advanced Engineering Mathematics

Administrator Administrator Hobbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    There's a lot of older Fantasy that should cover what you need. The Once and Future King by TH White is one of the greats IMO.

Mark / Hobbit
    Mark