Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

views on the Wheel of Time

Hmmm, since nearly every post that I have read so far makes some allusion to the Wheel of Time(by Robert Jordan, for those that dodn't know) then it makes since to have a new topic where everyone can post about it? What was everyone's favorite part of it? Why? Share your views on it!

King of the Lurkers. Moderator Keyoke's Avatar
    Well, I am no longer a fan of the series. But, what I did like it about it was the coming of age of Rand, Perrin and Mat. They started off as simple kids (A usual formula fantasy in novels), but, we actually got to see them change into adults.. We saw all the burdens, and understood how it change them.

Most fantasy series I find have the young hero just come to grip with his new power/responsibilty in a couple of chapters....Jordan drew this out, which I loved. Plus, his world is amazing.. I have lots of pluses to the series, and it disappoints me that I cannot enjoy the series any longer ..

Keyoke

Unlike Keyoke, I'll keep reading, if only because after all the time I've invested, I wanna read the payoff.

I've just started rereading it (again), and what really struck me is how much of a horror vibe The Eye of the World has... what with Ba'alzamon entering dreams, Mashadar, Machin Sin, and all of the assorted beasties the Dark One throws at the lads.

It would be nice if Jordan actually included Mat in the next book... here's hoping Path of Daggers was just a setup for a killer next book.

Pax

Hi, recently finished reading WOT from book one to Crown of Swords and I must say I'm impressed. I like the interpaly between the lads, how each thinks the other is better with girls and the like. Also the social side, ie the girls attitudes to men and what they are good for, Perrins troubles with his wife and the way people view other cultures. Loads of discriptive writing that really creates a vivid mental picture, I'd love to emulate his style but that wouldn't be good as I'd not evolve my own style. Great books and I can't wait for No. 10.

I really don't see why everyone thought that the 8th book, Path of Daggers, was bad. I thought that it wa at least okay. Sure, it was a little lacking on the details and answers, and sure, no one really knew WHAT was going on at the end, and of course, Mat wasn't in it, but Jordan probably just did that to set up the next book. By the way, unlike many who think he is writing so many to just make money, I don't think so. I think that he is trying to keep it as small as possible, and if that takes 13 or so books, then I'll read them. It would be better than reading a few, multi-thousand page novels instead.

I don't believe Jordan is writing so many books just to make money either. He's created a plot so deep and a world so large that there is no way he could finish the series with just a couple books (unless of course each one was 2,000 pages....then maybe it could be done). This is hands down my favorite series; I can't think of enough praise to give it.

BTW, I once heard about a year or two ago that Robert Jordan was planning on finishing the series around the 12th book or so (he's working on the 9th one right now). I sure hope so because I don't know what to do with my life between books

I must say that I disagree with those that say that Robert Jordan has "sold out", and just writes to make more money. However, The Path of Daggers was definitely different from the other books, but I wouldn't say it's bad. I would actually say it's some of the best writing I've ever read. The way he describes everything is simply brilliant, and although the story didn't move ahead all that much I really look forward to the next book...

Bilbo

Like Keyoke, I am no longer a fan of the series.
    I read the first books with very much pleasure, and I found the world full and interesting. also the plot was very promising.
    About 3500 pages later, I found my attention diminish to the point that I stopped reading; I mean, nothing against a complex plot that takes time to develop, but half of the book I was reading then seemed to be filled with the fights of females with severe cases of PMS against themselves and everyone and everything else.
    I ended up wondering if the Ais Sedai magic couldn't be used for hormone control...
    IMO, if each volume would be about half the actual size, the series would be far more gripping.
    I do not know if Jordan writes this many books for the money, but I do have my doubts over the number of pages...

Well, I'm less that 1/2 thru the series but I love it. I think Jordan so far has gotten better and better.
    I just finished the Dragon Reborn and I love it. I like how all the 2 Rivers guys think the others are better with girls. I love reading about Rand and saidin and about Tar Valon and the three gals who have the most potential of any Aes Sedai in a thousand years. I just wish Lan and Nynaeve would finally have to sense to get married or something. I mean, they're obviously in love. I like the part when Min asks if Lan wants a message delivered to Nynaeve and he says "Does everybody know...?"

Dura, I am guessing that you are a man? Jordan has a warped view of femeninity, that I agree with. But that has nothing to do with PMS or hormone control. It has everything to do with Jordans own view of women, at least in his world. I read the first 2 books and decided to wait for the series to be finished before reading any more. (I hate waiting between books in a series!) I like the male characters, but found the women to be unsympathetic.

I started out loving this series, it instantly went to my 'honored books' shelf. Sure there were some slow points in books 3 and 4 as I read them but I'm patient.

Then, the outstanding book 6, Lord of Chaos, came out, and I thought for sure, this would go down in my history as the greatest. The last two installments though, have left me with a sour taste in my mouth.

First off, since I've caught up with Jordan, and now have a two year break between reading the novels, I find that I simply can't keep all the characters or plots straight, and I certainly don't have the time to reread the entire series each time a new book comes out (way too many other good books out there). Couple that with the fact that nothing has really happened in the last two make me wonder -- has Jordan lost it? Does he know where he's going? Did all the little plotlines get crosswired so much that he's written himself into a trap ( Ding! that's what i think has happened).

Hopefully he can get things going again in the upcoming installment. It really is a good story, but its hurting right now. I will certainly still read them, and hope that Jordan will prove alot of us skeptics wrong.

The big thing that concerns me is that alot of people I know (myself included) keep thinking the end is going to be this huge dramatic satisfying ending where things are wrapped up, and questions answered. Problem is, while attending one of his discussion panels at a convention, he made a point of saying that everything will not be wrapped up at the end of the series. That alot of questions won't be answered. Could be we're in for a big dissapointment.

I also like Cellandros have an 'Honored Books' shelf. After I had finished book 1 of WOT it went straight there. I am only reading book 5 at the moment, but have not lost interest at all. And unlike others, I find the women intriguing, and very likeable. All everyone has done is made me want to read faster, to find out what you all are talking about.

HI all!
    I only red the first WOT book, but now I know that I must read the others, too. My only problem is, that I am a German girl, but I've heard, that the translater is not very good... can anybody tell me something about it, please? Thanx, Liselle

Hi Liselle,

I am dutch, so I know your problem. My advice is to read the English versions if you can. You might need some perseverance at first, but I find it is worth it. I was lucky though, all my studybooks were Enlish so I had to learn to read English.
    A lot gets lost in translation, and (in Holland) books are twice as big and twice as expensive as English paperbacks.

Hi Dura!
    Yes, I think to read the English version is the best solution, also because for me the author's style is very important. I managed to read the first book, and so I will manage the others, too, I hope!
    Liselle