Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I am surprised to see so many fans move to past-fans based on POD. I think the story is completely consistent, but I would suggest there was some harsh editing done to what someone thought was too long or too detailed. Unfortunate! Jordan's talent is in the detail. Some of the jerky dialogue and events where I had to reread sections to make sense of who said what seems to say "editting" rather than writing. I hope whoever it may have been has learned the lesson of the fan-critic and returned to leaving creation to its own format.

Personally I think the WOT is a fabulous series. The characters are intricate, believable, likable and different in their own subtle ways.

The fact Rand/Mat/Perrin are all a little bit too-goody-goody is a little annoying. Maybe it is the company I keep, but no one is this cosistently 'nice'...are they?

As for the women, heck who know's how they tick..can't blame a (male) writer for writing female characters as he experiences them in life. They are the most 'human' female characters I've read in a fantasy story. Usually, in the genre, they are absurdly bitchy or they are doe-eyed, chaste objects-de-quest. Writing from a first person perspective for the opposite gender must be quite harrowing (or arrogant) but I think he's pulled it off quite well.

I may be wrong, but Jordan does appear to be dragging out the saga. I don't care. Even during the dullest part of the books I have been unable to put the books down. I suspect the bits I find 'dull' are just part of a particular sub-plot I am not particularly interested in. Such a complex saga with interwoven plots is bound to have aspects that appeal to some and not others. I can live with that.

Early on in the writing of the WoT series, Jordan mentioned in an on-line chat room that he wanted to go over 10 books from the start in order to surpass the longest single series to date (which I believe he said was 10 books by L. Ron Hubabrd). Simply put, he's not stretching it out for money, but for pride.

I don't really have a problem with that idea, but I think he's gotten carried away. It's time to start at least moving toward SOME kind of resolution. It's still one of the top series out there so fa, but it has definately started to ramble a bit.

Personally, I think Path of Daggers was a great step in bringing the series together so that it can be ended at some point in the future. I can't wait to see if he takes the series and runs wit hit from here on out.

I think it is interesting that everyone loved EotW so much. I bought it in hardback because my friend said that I would love it and then I didn't so I decided not to buy the rest, but just get them from the library. It took me like three or four months to read the first one, but then I read the rest of them in less than a week each. I've really enjoyed the rest of the series. I even like the first one better now that I'm reading a second time. There is so much stuff in the first one that you don't get the first time because you don't know anything about the poeples and places yet. I did like PoD I just thought it was too short and really annoying that he just cut the ending off like that and is making us wait for the next book.

Lol, if RJ started out with the goal of at least 10 books because he wanted to beat the 'Mission Earth' dekology by Hubbard; in terms of quality, he beat Hubbard's series by the end of the first chapter in EotW.

The thing frustrates me about WoT is I want the series to end, so RJ could move on to something else. I'm really curious to see what his next will be like. I was at a convention a few years ago when he was a guest, and he gave a little run-down on one idea that he like for a new series, and it sounded alot more interesting than WoT, which really got me excited about it. Sad thing is, I really have to question whether he will get around to doing it.

Cellandros, RJ isn't waiting to finish WOT before he writes something else... He has written 2 new Conan books which I have not had a chance to read but am told are outstanding. Perhaps this is why it is taking so long for book 9? Just a thought. Also, some theorize (though I don't believe it) that Robert Jordan and Terry Goodkind are one in the same... (food for thought)

RJ and Goodkind one and the same...I have never heard that one before (I don't buy it either). If it were true, then I'd tell him to quit WoT and focus on Sword of Truth, since I think its the better series (I'm gonna get flamed for that)

Anyways, I wasn't aware that RJ was writing Conan books anymore. When I saw him at a convention, he almost seemed embarrased when asked questions about his Conan books. Have these books been published yet? I have the two hardback reissues of his older Conan novels, and I thought that's all he had done.

If you have more info on them, I'd like to know.

Hi everyone, I am new to this site, and have enjoyed reading your various comments on the WOT series. I found the last two books very infuriating, with missing members of the cast and a plot that seemed to be going on forever. I also found the similarities of RJ and Terry Goodkind noticable. I am not the only one, as my father has read all these books and commented upon these similarities as well.
    I feel that RJ has ruined what was a good series by wanting to beat LRH, and should quit while the goings good.
    Happy reading to all.
    Merry

Robert Jordan and Terry Goodkind one and the same!?!?! Oh man! Is that ever a frightening thought! Jordan's characters might suddenly become two-dimensional and solutions to all the problems would start conveniently falling into their laps! And we could all take stabs at how end of the series would work (and most likely be right!)

Seriously though, I have only read one Goodkind book- Wizard's First Rule, and found it to be less than stellar, so I don't have too much to say about his similarities to Jordan. I found WFR to be a bit childish and unoriginal. I don't mean to flame anyone here (your preferences for different authors are respectable), but I do feel the need to get that off my chest at times.

I have to admit that I was a little leary about Eye of the World too. I accidently got the Great Hunt before The Eye of the World just after some knee surgery that laid me up for about 3 months. Having no means of getting out to the store to get the first book, I read the Great Hunt first, then later went back and read the Eye of the World.

Jordan definately grew a lot over the writing on the this series. Eye of the World is very similar in style to Wizard's First Rule, and I suppose had I read that book first, I would have that impression in my mind about Jordan forever. Since I didn't get to EotW until AFTER I had read Great Hunt, I didn't have that idea at all.

As for the series as a whole: Crown of Swords remains the best part in the series in my mind mainly due to its amazing ending that left me waiting on the edge of my seat for the next installment. Path of Daggers was a grueling but necessary read. Eye of the World is still the weak link in the story (It was originally meant as a stand-alone novel, not the start of a longer book.)

I have enjoyed WOT up until "Crown of Swords", but i feel as if i wasted my time reading "Path of Daggers", it could have easily been cut down to half the size as nothing really happened. I will keep reading because i want to see the ending, but to me it looks as if Jordan is now writing for money rather than a good story.

Hrmmm. Well I have read all the Goodkind and all the Jordan books. I like Jordan much better but Goodkind is a good time filler in between the Jordan books. I think that the Runelords series by David Farland and the Game of Thrones series by George RR Martin are better than Goodkind. (And people in their stories aren't always dramatically "saved" just in time). The Spellsong series by Modesitt is pretty good too.

I hope book 9 of WOT is much better than 8. I felt cheated after I read 8 Like I haven't got a real book since 7. I actually liked CoS.....

Can anybody recommend some other stuff to read while I wait ?

Hrmmm. Well I have read all the Goodkind and all the Jordan books. I like Jordan much better but Goodkind is a good time filler in between the Jordan books. I think that the Runelords series by David Farland and the Game of Thrones series by George RR Martin are better than Goodkind. (And people in their stories aren't always dramatically "saved" just in time). The Spellsong series by Modesitt is pretty good too.

I hope book 9 of WOT is much better than 8. I felt cheated after I read 8 Like I haven't got a real book since 7. I actually liked CoS.....

Can anybody recommend some other stuff to read while I wait ?

I like many of you have eagerly awaited the release of each book in the series. The Path Of Daggers was a BIG dissapointment.

All of you who are defending it as the just 'calm before the storm' are deluded. It was simply not up to scratch.

Half the volume and twice the waffle.

Half the enjoyment and twice the price.

I think that he has lost the plot. Why on earth is he writing Conan books instead of focusing on finishing the WOT. The reason must be (and it pains me to say it) that he doesn't know how to finish it.

Should we defend these mediocre morsels cast out in Bi-annual sprinklings. Be honest, did you read PoD into the early hours not bothering to sleep because you couldn't wait to find out what happened next? Of course you didn't - it was dull - go on admit it.

i still read it all night long even though it wasnt as gripping as some of the other books in the series. as i've read the books depending on where i was and what was going on changed One of my biggest problems was that in book 5 i think perrin was at that point my favorite character and he wasant in it at all. and now in 8 Matt was who i was most interested in and he wasnt in that one at all. They all better be in the next book and it better be good or i might begin to loose interest in the series

Hi all...well, I have (finally) finished Jordan's offerings-to-date. I say finally because after reading the first 2 or 3 books at high speed, I came to a grinding halt that started somewhere in book 4, and took some powerful force-of-will to push through books 5 and 6. Lord of Chaos and its preceding volume required more concentration and determination than any study regimen the Brown Ajah could conjure up! I agree with the earlier comment regarding the (main) female characters seeming to have perpetual pms. That's fine though, some people are like that. The problem is having to endure hundreds of pages of it during their interminable trek to the hall of the tower rebels. I very nearly gave up at that stage because of it, and the dearth of any plot development, or inclusion of interesting characters such as Perrin and Mat.
    I have been fascinated by the scathing reviews of books 7 and 8 that I read here. I must say that they nearly added to my thoughts of abandoning the series: if people liked books 4,5,&6 and hated 7&8 then there was little chance I'd find an improvement would there?
    If my fiance had not bought 7&8 for me I no doubt would never had read them. Thankfully she did and I have to say I'm in complete disagreement with almost everyone on this board. I thought 7 & 8 were actually a return to some plot development and /finally/ those whining women seem to be getting their heads together. I do, however, agree Mat was a lack from book 8.
    Which isn't to say Jordan has returned to my honour-role of authors....I'm with Cellandros (sp?) that I vastly prefer Goodkind...not least for having the good manners to have his books self-contained for the most part. Still and all, Jordan has begun the slow process of rebuilding his series from a shambling mess, to a shambling mess on the move once more. Here's hoping the shambling mess is headed in the right direction!