Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What am I missing?

I haven't read a lot of Fantasy before, but I've always been interested in the genre (as well as Science Fiction, which I also read). Recently I decided to find out which were the most popular and recognised Fantasy series around, and read at least the first book in each, so that I could find out which one I liked best and wanted to spend more time on. I still have a lot of reading to do, but I was wondering, if you were to add one more series for me to read/buy, which would it be?

Here's what I have so far:

J. R. R. Tolkien - Hobbit/LOTR (own both, read hobbit )
    C.S. Lewis - The Chronicles Of Narnia (own, read some )
    J. K. Rowling - Harry Potter (own and read all)
    George R. R. Martin - A Song Of Ice And Fire (own first two novels, just about finished the first, loved it)
    Robert Jordan - The Wheel Of Time (own first novel)
    Terry Goodkind - Sword Of Truth (own first novel)
    Terry Pratchett - Discworld (own first novel)
    Stephen R. Donaldson - The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant (own The First Chronicles, a trilogy in one)
    Terry Brooks - The Sword Of Shannara trilogy (own The Sword of Shannara, a trilogy in one)
    Raymond E. Feist - Riftwar Saga (own first novel, Magician Apprentice)
    Philip Pullman - His Dark Materials (own all three novels)
    David Eddings - The Belgariad and The Malloreon (own first novel)
    Steven Erikson - The Malazan Book Of The Fallen (own first novel)
    Robin Hobb - Farseer Trilogy (own first novel)
    Neil Gaiman - Stardust (own)

R. Scott Baker - The Prince Of Nothing (noted down, not yet bought)
    Gene Wolfe - The Book Of The New Sun (noted down, not yet bought)
    Stephen King - The Dark Tower (noted down, not yet bought)
    Tim Powers - The Anubis Gates (noted down, not yet bought)
    Last edited by Anders; March 7th, 2008 at 06:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Anders View Post
    I haven't read a lot of Fantasy before, but I've always been interested in the genre (as well as Science Fiction, which I also read). Recently I decided to find out which were the most popular and recognised Fantasy series around, and read at least the first book in each, so that I could find out which one I liked best and wanted to spend more time on. I still have a lot of reading to do, but I was wondering, if you were to add one more series for me to read/buy, which would it be?

Here's what I have so far:

J. R. R. Tolkien - Hobbit/LOTR (own both, read hobbit )
    C.S. Lewis - The Chronicles Of Narnia (own, read some )
    J. K. Rowling - Harry Potter (own and read all)
    George R. R. Martin - A Song Of Ice And Fire (own first two novels, just about finished the first, loved it)
    Robert Jordan - The Wheel Of Time (own first novel)
    Terry Goodkind - Sword Of Truth (own first novel)
    Terry Pratchett - Discworld (own first novel)
    Stephen R. Donaldson - The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant (own The First Chronicles, a trilogy in one)
    Terry Brooks - The Sword Of Shannara trilogy (own The Sword of Shannara, a trilogy in one)
    Raymond E. Feist - Riftwar Saga (own first novel, Magician Apprentice)
    Philip Pullman - His Dark Materials (own all three novels)
    David Eddings - The Belgariad and The Malloreon (own first novel)
    Steven Erikson - The Malazan Book Of The Fallen (own first novel)
    Robin Hobb - Farseer Trilogy (own first novel)
    Neil Gaiman - Stardust (own)

R. Scott Baker - The Prince Of Nothing (noted down, not yet bought)
    Gene Wolfe - The Book Of The New Sun (noted down, not yet bought)
    Stephen King - The Dark Tower (noted down, not yet bought)
    Tim Powers - The Anubis Gates (noted down, not yet bought)
    Roger Zelazny - Nine Princes in Amber

You really need to read this one. It's the standout novel in the whole amber series.

Tad Williams -- Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn Trilogy
    Patricia McKillip -- The Book of Atrix Wolfe and In The Forest of Serre
    Orson Scott Card -- Ender's Game and Speaker for the Dead

Quote Originally Posted by Remaxx View Post
    Tad Williams -- Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn Trilogy
    Don't put down Dragonbone Chair (first in the series) too quickly. It picks up after the first 100 or 200 pages.

Another one would be Robin Hobb's Assasin's Apprentice.

Quote Originally Posted by ben1xy View Post
    Don't put down Dragonbone Chair (first in the series) too quickly. It picks up after the first 100 or 200 pages.
    Maybe it does pick up, but I still found the pacing in the entire series to be rather slow.

Joe Abercrombie - The First Law series (first book is The Blade Itself) Don't miss this one!

I found this really great used book store today, and picked up Royal Assassin(from the Farseer Trilogy), The Dark Tower, A Storm Of Swords (from A Song Of Ice And Fire), Tad Williams' The Dragonbone Chair, C. J. Cherry's Downbelow Station (SF), 1984, and a few non SFF novels. I own Gaiman's American Gods as well.

I found a lot of cheap Roger Zelazny novels, but couldn't find Nine Princes in Amber, so I didn't buy any. I was uncertain which Gene Wolfe novel I was supposed to buy so didn't buy any of him either. I couldn't find any Patricia McKillip or R. Scott Baker, have already read and own several Orson Scott Card novels (which I consider SF), and I didn't look for Joe Abercrombie, since the post hadn't been made when I left for the store.

Thank you very much for the replies so far, I appreciate it.
    Last edited by Anders; March 8th, 2008 at 02:03 AM.

Fanboy Extraordinaire! Warewolf's Avatar
    Lloyd Alexander - The Chronicles of Prydain
    Margaret Weis & Tracy Hickman - Dragonlance Chronicles
    R.A. Salvatore - The Icewind Dale Trilogy
    Michael Moorcock - The Elric sequence
    Marion Zimmer Bradley - The Mists of Avalon
    T.H. White - The Once and Future King
    Janny Wurts & Raymond E. Feist - Empire Trilogy (sequel of sorts to Feist's Riftwar Saga)

Greg Keyes - The Briar King (first in a four book series)

I really enjoyed it, and I think that the series could end up among my favorite Fantasy series.

Quote Originally Posted by Anders View Post
    I found a lot of cheap Roger Zelazny novels, but couldn't find Nine Princes in Amber, so I didn't buy any. I was uncertain which Gene Wolfe novel I was supposed to buy so didn't buy any of him either.
    I would bet money they have The Chronicles of Amber which is an omnibus edition of the 5 original amber novels. Nine Princes is the first of the 5 and of course is the first in Volume 1.

Other Zelazny that you could pick up:
    Lord of Light (could be called scifi)
    Roadmarks
    Isle of the Dead (could be called scifi)
    Creatures of Light and Darkness
    Dilvish, the Damned
    The Changing Land
    Changeling
    Jack of Shadows
    A Night in the Lonesome October

Well, I don't know about all the Zelazny fanatics. A bit meh for me.

I will recommend:

Erikson - Awesome
    Martin - Awesome
    Abercrombie - Awesome
    Wolfe - Excellent writing, a little slow
    Donaldson - I like it, others hate it.

And Gaiman rocks, but Stardust caters to a younger crowd. Neat story, but not exactly his best writing. American Gods, of course, is essential reading.

If you value your eyeballs, do not read Goodkind or Brooks.

While I obviously won't hesitate to buy more than one book that's recommended to me, I was wondering if there was one work left out of my list, that stuck out like a sore thumb. Almost as if I had left out LOTR itself, something most people could agree on that I just had to read. Obviously, such a book would go very high on the to read pile and I wouldn't definitely purchase it. So far Tad Williams, Joe Abercrombie, Gene Wolfe and Roger Zelazny seems to be ahead of the rest.

Hey Anders.

I can understand why you may not be sure which Gene Wolfe book to pick up first, especially if you have been recommended the book of the new sun series. These books have been published separately, in two pairs of two books each and lately with all four bundled together. The first you'll want to grab is 'Shadow of the Torturer'. The second in the series is 'Claw of the Conciliator' and these two books have been published under a single name of 'Shadow and Claw'. The later books can come after.

A lot has been covered, but I'd also recommend you try:

David Gemmell - Legend (to start with)
    Mervyn Peake - Gormenghast Trilogy
    Frank Herbert's - Dune Trilogy (You've probably read this and not mentioned it as it is considered science fiction. But it has the feel of epic fantasy)
    John Brunner's - Traveller in Black - (short but interesting)

Hehe, i'm suprised Rob B hasn't jumped in yet with a link to the Recommendation Thread

But since he hasn't I'll jump in with my two cents Bit hard to answer your question since I don't know your preferences in terms of stories, themes, etc. - but I guess that's exactly what you want to find out by reading (book 1 of) the listed series huh? I'd say you have a pretty decent overview here (with the inclusion of Williams, Abercrombie, Wolfe and Zelazny), I'd only add Fritz Leiber and Jack Vance to get a bit more rounded feel for the genre. There are dozens of other recommendable authors, but I'd say finish the list you have first to get a good feel for what you enjoy!

I think you should read more of the other series on your "own" list before buying more. You seem to have only read book 1 of these. Why not finish something before you start something new? That's my suggestion, since you have some great series that you've only started to read.